It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK car insurance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
My car, my mothers car and my fathers car are all insured under a multi-car policy with a certain sea-faring insurance company.

Our renewal came through the other day and to our surprise we all found out our insurance costs had gone up about a hundred pounds, each. The reasons why are disgusting...

They finally figured out my mother (42) is a manager where she works, she has been and her insurance policy has said so for about the last 6 years. Despite after 6 years there has no been no wage increase (other than the yearly increase to account for inflation that all workers there get) and no change in location they deemed this a good reason to charge her more.

My father (54) was charged more because he has been made unemployed. Yes somehow they figured that not having a job would mean he'll have more money to pay his insurance.

But the real disgusting increases were mine, (I'm 18 so my insurance isn't exactly cheap to begin with) it had jumped up by about 300 quid! And their reasoning for this was a claim made against me. A claim which wasn't on the bill and doesn't exist.
I also purchased my car about half a month after my mum and dads policy was renewed, so I was insured on their policy for only 11 and a half months meaning I was not elligible for my 1 year no claims bonus, but we managed to swing that as an apology for trying to charge me more on false grounds.

What they then realised was that because I had actually been insured as a named driver on my mothers car when I was still learning to drive, techinically I was elligible for 2 years worth of no claims. So on top of the 300 quid they took back off, I now pay almost another 400 less a year. But they hadn't given me any of this until we created a fuss.

Absolutely disgusting, my mums and dads while terrible can be put past as policy, and were both fixed...mine were the company actively trying to make me pay more
No wonder so many young people drive without insurance.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
yeah its ridiculous... mine goes up year by year aswell, and these companies are making billions between them every year.
alot of them are all connected together and are actually the same company. the one you talk about is part of a group of a few insurance companies, and i think they own one of the big comparison sites..

like all these big companies nowadays, they just love to rip us off and make life harder than it already is, whilst making billions yearly in profits...

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
just get new insurance its not hard, I did it and saved tons for the same crap, better yet get a crappier old car and have the smallest insurance possible. Stop living beyond your means and complaining about it.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by thegoods724

I can't, this was the cheapest policy I could find, and I'm driving a Peugeot 306 from 2001 so that I'm not murdered every time the MOT comes around.

If you want more proof theyre just being 'gits' apart from them making up an imaginary claim.

They told me I would be able to afford the increase as I was now (quote) loaded (unquote) due to a claim I made against a woman who hit my car last year. In this claim they told me my car was a write off, before inspecting it. Then when we told them it wasn't inspected and it was unacceptable to say the car was a write off they sent someone over to look at the car, who also said it was a write off.

We then grilled him to show us the damage until he finally admitted it was just a nasty dent on the back corner, however this stopped my boot opening which meant I couldn't reach my spare tire making the car not legally drivable, so they took it away to fix and gave me a rental car (for free I'll admit). Then kept my car for three months because I refused to claim for injury on the accident because I simply wasn't hurt in anyway, and all this time I was paying for insurance on a car I didn't have.

This is where they think I got a pile of money from, an injury claim I never made. In fact this claim wasn't on the bill either despite there being a space for it.

Simply put they tried to con mwe out of money, and when they got caught tried silly little tactics to explain it and finally had to admit they'd be cheating me out of money. I don't call paying more for a claim on an accident I caused (that doesn't exist) living beyond my means. I can afford the insurance when it is done correctly.

Agreed 100% MisterLondon.
edit on 15-6-2011 by StevenDye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Here in the states, we've been with the same company for a while (not the arseholes with a Gecko), and our rates usually went DOWN each year (also, we have somewhat older cars).

Of course, my wife recently got in an accident, so now they went up, even though they claim that the one accident is one that doesn't affect rates. Needless to say, we've been trying to sort out then exactly why they DID increase then...

By the way, we used to have the Gecko, but then when I got married, they first wanted money to consider the renewal (so I sent it), then said no. What? Are you kidding? They somehow used me getting married to discontinue coverage! Now I just cringe every time I see an animated Gecko or a Caveman.
edit on 15-6-2011 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon
yeah its ridiculous... mine goes up year by year aswell, and these companies are making billions between them every year.
alot of them are all connected together and are actually the same company. the one you talk about is part of a group of a few insurance companies, and i think they own one of the big comparison sites..

like all these big companies nowadays, they just love to rip us off and make life harder than it already is, whilst making billions yearly in profits...

Yup totally agree with you. Yearly they increase so much so that its now being impossible to maintain a car with insurance

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I have a Admiral Multicar policy as I have 3 cars.
Last year was £700 for all 3, this years renewal was £840 !
So I went on Money Supermarket to shop around to see if I could get a better quote.
Admiral came tops on all 3 cars individually at a total of £720 so I rang up the renewal line and complained about my quote, so they matched the price.
Without checking it out admiral would have gained an extra £120 - Apathy tax !

The following website was for great help.
multicarinsure.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
2100 GBP for me age 27, 3 years no claims been driving for 7 years!!! no convicitions.
Subaru impreza 2004 2ltr turbo!!!! It’s just a joke and so annoying! Car of my dreams now I might need to sell her because the cost or running and insurance together are so much! :-(

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Car insurance in the UK is a scam. We all know it and yet like the bankers wheeling and dealing it just goes on and on without being challenged. I have a friend (39 years old) who has recently passed his test. His quote? £22,000. No, I'm not exaggerating. How do they justify that? I myself have been driving for 20 years. Never had an accident (not even a prang) and mine has just gone up from £375 to £1200. Why? search me. The only excuse they could come up with was the increasing numbers of uninsured drivers driving up costs for everyone else. BOLLOCKS!

I am self employed and my wages from my business are around £250 a week. Yeah, I know. crap money for someone in business but I have been getting by on it, I'm not greedy. Now I ain't so sure if I can get by on it with the rising costs of running a car. The rest of the rising costs I can handle (gradually rising fuel prices,maintenance and tax) but seriously, the way things are going I'm going to be back on the dole because those robbing greedy b------s don't know how to place a limit on how greedy they allow themselves to be. It's getting out of control. Is it just me or does anyone else think this is leading to a situation where soon, only the high bracket earners will be able to legally drive a car?

Who gets all this money anyway? and why are they allowed to use the law as an excuse for robbing us?. For example - a 3rd party only policy costs nearly twice as much as comprehensive??? doesn't make any sense at all. Now, if I move address and have a third party only policy which only covers my legal eligibility to drive, how can they use the area or postcode as an excuse, third party only, absolves them from the responsibility of paying out for car theft or damage or fire. So they shouldn't be worried about someone nicking my car or setting it on fire. Shouldn't I be less a risk as a potential cost to the insurance company (more like no risk at all if they have nothing to pay out)

Never mind the bankers, what about these insurance companies? robbing us stupid in the name of staying legal on the road. It's getting way way out of hand and oh so obvious that none of this is about staying safe on the road or covering each other, It's all about screwing us, How far can they take the piss before we all say enough is enough?

God I hate this country more and more each day... Rant over

top topics

join