It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Invisibility cloak can hide objects from visible light

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Invisibility cloak can hide objects from visible light

www.physorg.com

Most of the invisibility cloaks that have been demonstrated to date conceal objects at frequencies that are not detectable by the human eye. Designing invisibility cloaks that can conceal objects from visible light has been more challenging due to the strict material requirements. But in a new study, researchers have fabricated a carpet cloak that can make objects undetectable in the full visible spectrum.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
This is pretty cool. And should finally take away the advantage the Romulans have over us. Oh wait, I keep forgetting Star Trek isn't real. Although, this study does bring us one step closer!

Sounds like it's still a longs way off from being a full-on cloak that could be used in practical applications.

"As the researchers explain, most previous invisibility cloaks have used metallic metamaterials for cloaking at microwave frequencies. But at optical frequencies, the metal absorbs too much light and leads to significant metallic loss, and Berkeley and other groups have had to design dielectric cloaks at infrared frequencies. More recently, researchers at University of Birmingham (UK) have experimented with using uniaxial crystals as the cloak material, which can enable cloaking in visible frequencies, but only for a certain polarization of light"

Light is typically non-polarized, or randomly polarized, in nature. So they have to work that one out still too.

But, looks promising.

www.physorg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 15-6-2011 by EthanT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
invisibility doesn't insist
LOL . u can only hide things. haha!

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by EthanT
Oh wait, I keep forgetting Star Trek isn't real.

Wait, what?? Do you have a source to back up that outlandish claim?

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
This is old news, you've been able to buy these for awhile at the local magic shop...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5f4c55f6aac8.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Most of night elves in Frozen Throne use a cloak to hide during night

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
So they get to reflect light back in a frequency we cant see.

What do we see then?

I assume there's a transparency effect because there are many frequencies we cant see and there are no blank spaces in our vision.

Interesting.

EDIT: "With this refractive index profile, along with the transparency of both the waveguide and the substrate, the cloak could completely conceal an object by producing a light beam profile identical to a beam reflected from a flat carpet with no object underneath."

Ok

edit on 15-6-2011 by AboveTheTrees because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by EthanT
Sounds like it's still a longs way off from being a full-on cloak that could be used in practical applications.

Rule of thumb is that the Military is about 30 to 40 years ahead of what we are aware of....

The whole video is very interesting but gets weird/revealing around 2:55

(click to open player in new window)

edit on 15-6-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I agree with your statement.... know it absolutely.

but... this video looks like a hoax to me.

also
There are obvious manipulations of the video such as missing/glitching frames from 2:55 on indicative of editing.

This technology may or may not exist in the army, but I personally do not think THIS EXAMPLE is real.

I would like to see the original video before they added their circles. I know that will never happen, unfortunately.
edit on 15-6-2011 by pianopraze because: resized picture

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I've been informed there was already a similar post, which can be found here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by pianopraze
but... this video looks like a hoax to me.
There are obvious manipulations of the video such as missing/glitching frames from 2:55 on indicative of editing.

Hoaxing or just simply a low quality version? I uploaded this video a couple of years ago to ATS to keep a copy. The video has been shown a few times here at ATS over the years The problem is that they are edited lower quality versions of "this version". I agree, I wish I could get a copy of the unedited "original" original version. I had a hard time obtaining this video because every time it was posted on You-tube it was quickly taken down under the guise of "Account abuse" etc.

This technology may or may not exist in the army, but I personally do not think THIS EXAMPLE is real

I appreciate you sharing your opinion.

I would like to see the original video before they added their circles. I know that will never happen, unfortunately

Me too. I hate it when people clutter the image with writing and visuals. Could be a hoax. I thought the trailing color variations you pointed out were the result of a low quality copy of the video all pixelated showing the added circle smearing due to it's motion. Who knows.

edit on 15-6-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

You can tell that clip is a fake

In the background you see someone walking past a car, as soon as the 2 "cloaked" people walk past him he vanishes

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   
when i saw that footage it reminded me this

its is a cut scene in the upcoming ghost recon future soldier game, theirs in game footage that you can also watch which shows you playing as a soldier and activating the suit when needed to perform missions in stealth, its going to be an awsome game, one to put on my checklist.
edit on 01/18/2011 by camouflaged because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
That is all well and good....but my wife
has been doing that to my money for 4 years.

One minute its there, next its GONE!!!

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
This technology was seen in the anime, Ghost in the Shell and it was explained in detail in the RPG, Cyberpunk 2020.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Using anime and games as proof. Nice!

Anyway, I can assure you this technology does exist in the military. For bigger objects it's easier. Fibre optic covers connected to multiple camera's that project the image on all four corners onto the fibre optic cover. That's very old fashioned now though. Even University students in Tokyo were making this kind of cloak years ago.

top topics

join