It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Republicans Cut Food Assistance For Low-Income Families While Protecting Azaleas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

House Republicans Cut Food Assistance For Low-Income Families While Protecting Azaleas

www.huffingtonpost.com

WASHINGTON -- If you're an azalea at the National Arboretum, you're in luck -- a Republican on the House Appropriations Committee is looking out for you. If you're a woman, infant or child, however, you're on your own.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

"The Committee directs the National Arboretum to maintain its National Boxwood Collection and the Glenn Dale Hillside portion of the Azalea Collection," reads the bill. "The Committee encourages the National Arboretum to work collaboratively with supporters of the National Arboretum to raise additional funds to ensure the long-term viability of these and other important collections."

So the plants are safe but this bill would cut $832 million from a program that provides food assistance to low-income mothers and children. The reduction could result in as many as 475,000 people being turned away from the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) More if food costs continue to rise and and their funds run out before they reach the end of the next fiscal year...Oct. 31, 2011 to 2012

My suggestion is that if your a mother with Infants, and Children Forget getting into the WIC program to feed your kids... instead tell em your planting Azaleas and are applying for a agriculture appropriation....

www.huffingtonpost.com

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

I guess they see it as once the lowlives are all dead then they can begin to beautify the world at large...

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Theres only going to be more and more cuts and its going to affect us all. There should not be anymore spending bills for anything.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Of course, god forbid that they increase taxes on the richest Americans by even 1%, but they're happy to take funding away from the poorest Americans.

Anyone who makes less than $1 million a year who votes Republican needs their head examined.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
They can just print more money and give it to them.

2nd.
edit on 15-6-2011 by Rockdisjoint because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

This is unreal, if they cut food stamps(wow) the sheeple will riot. There ain't a way in hell if they cut the food stamps that Obama will still be alive. They'll off him and his family like Marie Antonette and Louis say "Let them eat cake." I'll be happy to burn them with my own hands.!
edit on 15-6-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-6-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

I agree there should be deep cuts and a freeze on spending...
but lets make smart choices about what we cut and what we keep...

do we really need to be sending billions of dollars to foreign countries that hate us regardless of what we do??? Cut that program and feed the kids....

Do we really need to be flying shorties over Libya dropping bombs at how many millions per day to have our troups participate in a war that is not our own???? I say bring em home and feed the kids....

Ask yourself How much fuel did the President use to fly to Germany last week... what did that cost us tax payers??? how many cans of baby formula could we have bought for a starving infant instead... I say he should have stayed home made it a teleconference and used the money he saved us tax payers to feed the kids who through no fault of their own will now go hungry
edit on 15-6-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
"And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!" Matthew 24:19 KJV

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
reply to post by camaro68ss

I agree there should be deep cuts and a freeze on spending...
but lets make smart choices about what we cut and what we keep...

do we really need to be sending billions of dollars to foreign countries that hate us regardless of what we do??? Cut that program and feed the kids....

Do we really need to be flying shorties over Libya dropping bombs at how many millions per day to have our troups participate in a war that is not our own???? I say bring em home and feed the kids....

Ask yourself How much fuel did the President use to fly to Germany last week... what did that cost us tax payers??? how many cans of baby formula could we have bought for a starving infant instead... I say he should have stayed home made it a teleconference and used the money he saved us tax payers to feed the kids who through no fault of their own will now go hungry
edit on 15-6-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

agree, we are in hard times and its time to stop spending money on other countrys. we need to take care of ones self before others.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
Theres only going to be more and more cuts and its going to affect us all. There should not be anymore spending bills for anything.

Does that include illegal wars?
Does that include corporate welfare for the oil companies.
Does that include foreign aid to Israel and Pakistan?

My bet is that these things are like Azaleas, they get funded on the backs of hungry children.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
This is such a sad day. Often people who don't qualify for food stamps can get WIC. Vouchers are given for foods on an accepted list. No money is given, you can't make a living off WIC. If the food stamp program were run the same way as WIC maybe we wouldn't have so many obese people making the wrong choices with food stamps.

WIC helps women make more educated choices all around. They offer health screenings to those who might not qualify for full blown welfare/medicaid. They do so much good for people who wouldn't otherwise have access to such services

With the cost of everything going up it's needed now more than ever. I've never heard anyone who has gotten WIC complain that it should be their right to buy junk food with WIC vouchers. Most seem very appreciative and understand the need for healthy food choices.

I don't get it they take away the one program available to the working poor. This makes absolutely no sense...it's madness. We live in a completely upside down world.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

www.huffingtonpost.com

WASHINGTON -- If you're an azalea at the National Arboretum, you're in luck -- a Republican on the House Appropriations Committee is looking out for you. If you're a woman, infant or child, however, you're on your own.

Demagoguery is often sad and emotional, which I guess is the point. Food assistance for needy people isn't the job of the Federal Government, it should be handled at the state and local level, as well as through private charity organizations. I have hungry people right here in my neighborhood, so imagine if I could take my own money and help them on a personal level, instead of having it forcefully taken from me by way of the IRS's gun and redistributed to whomever the Fed Gov sees fit.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

So the plants are safe but this bill would cut $832 million from a program that provides food assistance to low-income mothers and children. The reduction could result in as many as 475,000 people being turned away from the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) More if food costs continue to rise and and their funds run out before they reach the end of the next fiscal year...Oct. 31, 2011 to 2012

Isn't that about the amount we are spending on the wars?

We let our own people go with less food?!?

Our nation is becoming the most callus selfish stupid most short sighted country I have ever seen.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime
I have hungry people right here in my neighborhood, so imagine if I could take my own money and help them on a personal level, instead of having it forcefully taken from me by way of the IRS's gun and redistributed to whomever the Fed Gov sees fit.

That's how it was done before welfare. So we have to ask why isn't it still handled that way? Some people blame bleeding heart liberals, they might be right to a point, but we can't ignore the fact that social programs generate huge profits. Pharmaceutical companies come to mind.

$832 million for WIC is a drop in the bucket. Like it or not social programs are a huge industry probably the biggest left in the US today. Administrative jobs are created and social programs stimulate the economy in ways you can't imagine. You start doing away with all those give away programs and a lot more jobs will go away too. I'm curious as to how much actual profit is generated by social programs compared to the cost.

Even if we do away with social programs the government isn't going to stop taking our money to spend however they want. Either way the TPTB will always come out way ahead of the rest of us.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime

www.huffingtonpost.com

Demagoguery is often sad and emotional, which I guess is the point. Food assistance for needy people isn't the job of the Federal Government, it should be handled at the state and local level, as well as through private charity organizations. I have hungry people right here in my neighborhood, so imagine if I could take my own money and help them on a personal level, instead of having it forcefully taken from me by way of the IRS's gun and redistributed to whomever the Fed Gov sees fit.

I find it a little sad that you didn't even mention, much less get up in arms, about your beloved money going to some stupid plants.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
yeah well so what

state level problems that are not my problems

too many of my dollars go to benefit someone else and never myself i do not need to stinkin help nor do i ask for any.

its not the governments responsibility.

back in the day when a mother and child needs help the parents use to be all to eager to get up to the task of helping their child and grandchildren.

and now it has been relegated to the us federal government i am sick of this nonsense i just cant stand it anymore.

that is what church and charity were all about before the entitlement class of america took over,

its pathetic just throw money at the problems AND THEY ARE PROBLEMS because people who push that crap are creating more people that need it.

wake up and open your damn eyes.

i close with a teresa stover quote quite a smart woman.

“Understand that all battles are waged on an unconscious level before they are begun on the conscious one, and this battle is no different. The power structure wishes us to believe that the only options available are those which they present to us, we know this is simply not true, and therefore we must redefine the terrain of this conflict, and clearly, it is a conflict of worldviews and agendas.”

edit on 15-6-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
One thing about WIC vouchers:

Its also money going directly to local farmers - my wife and I were on WIC (we're both teachers, and we still needed WIC to make ends meet with three kids and us). We used our vouchers to go to the local farmer's market. The vouchers were cash in their pockets, and my kids got fresh local produce.

And to clarify, WIC feeds only pregnant mom and kids. Grown folk don't get to eat it, unless you got a bun in the oven or you are lactating and feeding your kid with it.

Local economy helped, low-income kids helped... smart government at its best, considering that the cash from the G went to the local farmer's hands.

We are not on the dole anymore, as we managed to get ourselves out of that hole. But, we will be grateful to WIC for keeping our kids healthy.

Unless you are such a tightwad that you'd really begrudge some people milk and beans.

new topics

top topics

join