It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GREECE IS FALLING APART: Police Fire Tear Gas On Protesters, Bailout Talks "Deadlocked", Banks Dow

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
The people are breaking everything there

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dalke07
What is that building represent ?

Police can't do anything, have to mach people end they don't have fear ..xD

Fck cops morons like dogs take one man end beat him ..

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7737d4386339.png[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/17a6d2991ed7.png[/atsimg]

edit on 15-6-2011 by Dalke07 because: (no reason given)

The building they are protecting is the Parliament or the White House as you say it. While all these riots are going on they have, meaning the citizens have blocked all exits points to and from that particular building and the police are providing cover to allow the politicians to leave.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by cerebralassassins

Are these kind of protests daily routine or is today an extraordinary protest?

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Sadly noone has taken the time to post that they have been sitting there for last 15-20 days without a single nose bleed, only today after a general strike throughout the nation have these riots developed. As always a handfull of people wearing helmets begun throwing molotvs at the police and then the police responded by using tear gas, and that is how it has all started. Later tonight will show if the ugly side of protesting will escalate to something worse. Keep in mind there are hundreds of people who have camped there outside parliament so if it does get ugly tonight then i fear lives maybe lost and if that happens then all # break loose.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2

The whole country is on a 24hour strike today

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2

As i said, they have been going on for the past 15-20 days, but not as violent as this, what they have been doing is allowing people to voice their opinion in public with the use of loudspeakers, yes that means every person could wait of his turn and voice his opinion in public as it was done thousands of years ago.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by TribeOfManyColours

Athens is falling apart, not Greece. While obviously the government and elites live in Athens, which is a dump,, thus gets all of the intention, rural Greece is very removed from what goes on in Athens and little has changed in rural Greece in hundreds of years. Regardless of what happens to the currency, the EU, all of it, rural Greece will remain a fantastic place to live and to visit. Go to the countryside, go to Crete or one of the islands and the locals there don't give a rip about what happens in Athens. Many of rural Greeks have never been to Athens, and get their news local, much of it orally. You'll also find that most want to be done with the Euro and return to national soverignty rather than have foreigners buy vacation homes there.

The Greeks in Athens deserve what is happening to them. Being Greek and having lived in Greece, both Athens and countryside, in my personal opinion, the Greeks in Athens are among the laziest people on the planet. Sure they're rioting now. Someone is about to change the story and make them have to actually work rather than sip coffee in a taverna all day playing backgammon. I'd be mad too.

There is absolutely no parallel between the economic situation in the US where folks who had/wanted full time jobs lost them and can't find them and Athens, where most folks grudgingly held on to a part-time job. Big difference between losing your job and losing your handout. If you're willing to work, eventually there will be another job. Now that the history of the welfare state has caught up with them, the Athenians know that unlike a job that can be replaced, once you lose your handout, it ain't comming back. Thats why they're rioting - they might actually need to get a job.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I hope this doesn't lead to worldwide marxism or it will be the end of free speech and free religion. When an economy is centrally controlled will lead inevitably to control of non-economic freedoms as well.

For those saying that marxism is stateless, how exactly will society give what to whom without some organized governmental body?
edit on 15-6-2011 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan

Athens is falling apart, not Greece. While obviously the government and elites live in Athens, which is a dump,, thus gets all of the intention, rural Greece is very removed from what goes on in Athens and little has changed in rural Greece in hundreds of years. Regardless of what happens to the currency, the EU, all of it, rural Greece will remain a fantastic place to live and to visit. Go to the countryside, go to Crete or one of the islands and the locals there don't give a rip about what happens in Athens. Many of rural Greeks have never been to Athens, and get their news local, much of it orally. You'll also find that most want to be done with the Euro and return to national soverignty rather than have foreigners buy vacation homes there.

The Greeks in Athens deserve what is happening to them. Being Greek and having lived in Greece, both Athens and countryside, in my personal opinion, the Greeks in Athens are among the laziest people on the planet. Sure they're rioting now. Someone is about to change the story and make them have to actually work rather than sip coffee in a taverna all day playing backgammon. I'd be mad too.

There is absolutely no parallel between the economic situation in the US where folks who had/wanted full time jobs lost them and can't find them and Athens, where most folks grudgingly held on to a part-time job. Big difference between losing your job and losing your handout. If you're willing to work, eventually there will be another job. Now that the history of the welfare state has caught up with them, the Athenians know that unlike a job that can be replaced, once you lose your handout, it ain't comming back. Thats why they're rioting - they might actually need to get a job.

In no way am I questioning the beauty of Greece and its normal people.
What you see here has an echo, tru out the whole of Greece and the Eurozone

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   

700 million euro in cheque's that cannot be paid throughout the nation, what are you talking about, there is zero cash flow within the country, the I.M.F. and the austerity measures passed have bled dry the country of real cash. This is the current situation in greece, i am about 50 meters of what you all are viewing, i flew in there several days ago to try and fold up an investment i had begun there several years ago. My current loss in the past 7 months is above 100k euro..so don't go telling me that greece isn't falling apart. The question is will Ireland follow, will Spain follow, or will Italy follow in 2012. You cannot start up the economy by imposing taxes upon taxes, real money needs to fall into the every day economy and for some reason they are simply not doing this.

In short

Tis poutanas ginete ekei.
edit on 15-6-2011 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

Aside from all the one liner posts, on this thread, to try to stir emotions and sensationalize, I was hoping for someone Greek to chime in that either lives there, or did live in Athens.

Thanks for your take, it really made some sense of the situation.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
If Greece is so fine apart from Athens, then why we have to bail them out the second time?

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   

I wish yo00u all best ..

Is very good because you all go out ..

I feel very angry because I cant by with you all, but Croatia is not ot far away from you ..

You have all support from us end myself, because we have same # here when we fight for our freedom from government of ex. Yug ..

First we fight on streets after in fck discasting end to complicate war (5 years) ..

Problem is we get new our country new government and same sht like before end worst ..

I hope you have more luck end brain after all this or after war ..

After war is most important war, we fck all here because we believe some smart, good end not selfish persons come after we solders finish our jobs ..

We go rest our self's but that was mistake, big mistake ..

edit on 15-6-2011 by Dalke07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Go live in Crete and see how disrupted it is. Other than a cyclical down tick in tourism, life there has not changed in hundreds of years. Folks barter, there is no violence, no crime. My friend has an open air taverna and when he closes for the night it is left open, liquor on the shelves, kitchen open. He's never had an issue with theft and if he did it was drunk kids on holiday. My cousin has a small taverna. He gets almost all of his supplies, from vegetables to meat from local farmers. He has not been to Athens in 30 years and, even despite this current situation has a fantastic life. He pays practically no taxes because most of his trade is cash only or barter.

As far as doing business with Greeks in Greece, I would say and my entire family would say good luck to you. We say that now and we'd have said that 25 years ago too.

Did you know that doctors pay no taxes in Greece? They were able to pressure the government for that law. Did you know that you don't pay property taxes in Greece on a property until it is 100% completed? Its true and thats why all over Greece you will see homes with cinder block front porches. House has been built for decades, but they just never got around to put the front porch in. The Greeks have made a science out of paying no taxes and living off the state. At some point the thing has to implode on itself.

As far as the Eurozone, most Greeks would rather be out of the Eurozone. Anything that keeps rich Europeans (particularily Russians) from coming in and buying property is a good thing as far as they're concerned.
edit on 15-6-2011 by dolphinfan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

What happens to those places in Greece where all is fine, run out of money?

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
The people that are getting handled roughly by the cops, to say the least, are anarchists who are attacking them with rocks, stones, etc. Stop bashing on the cops because you obviously don't understand what is going on.

Even ordinary peaceful protesters have turned on the anarchists and chased them.

I hope this is the start of a revolution, and the end of the current corrupt political establishment.

ZHTW H ELLADA!

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Well they just trashed out building that was kinda involved in Tourism that promotes Crete.

heavy tear gas usage..and flash grenades being used again by police i need to pick up and move to a safer location, here is another live feed through a local t.v. statioin

www.star.gr...
www.zougla.gr...
www.newsit.gr...

bori na argisame na xipnisoume alla ande tora na tous valis pali gia ipno.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Thats the point, most of them need little money to begin with. Families organize themselves around self-sufficiency. My cousin gets most of his vegetables and meat from 4-5 local farms. He trades meals, the use of his truck and light handyman work for the bulk of it. The folks who raise lamb trade lamb for feed. Most of them rely on solar for energy and their energy needs are minimal.

They won't be totally out of money and will simply revalue the currency and market rates naturally. Sooner or later the Chinese, Indians and Brazilians will get a flavor for Greece and at least rural Greece and the islands will rebound quite nicely.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Thats the point, most of them need little money to begin with. Families organize themselves around self-sufficiency. My cousin gets most of his vegetables and meat from 4-5 local farms. He trades meals, the use of his truck and light handyman work for the bulk of it. The folks who raise lamb trade lamb for feed. Most of them rely on solar for energy and their energy needs are minimal.

They won't be totally out of money and will simply revalue the currency and market rates naturally. Sooner or later the Chinese, Indians and Brazilians will get a flavor for Greece and at least rural Greece and the islands will rebound quite nicely.

Then you could say most of Greece is an model country.

The rest of Europe do not allow to be self sufficient, that much.

edit on 15-6-2011 by TribeOfManyColours because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join