It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shark attack in Cornwall UK!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Shark attack in Cornwall: reports of sightings of whitetip shark confirmed

While taking a quick look on RSOE I came across this from the UK.

Ian Bullus watched with horror as the 2m (7ft) creature slammed into the boat in an apparent attempt to capsize it, before swimming off to circle a second craft. The mackerel fisherman believes the predator that struck 1.6km (1mile) from St Ives was an oceanic whitetip – its first sighting in British waters. The 60-year-old saw the distinctive mottled dorsal fin of the whitetip zig-zagging towards him before it rammed his boat – just like the great white shark in the 1975 horror film.

You can read the full article in the above link to RSOE.

I then thought I would source a more "reliable" news outlet. The International Business Times UK

The harbour master's office in St Ives, Cornwall has confirmed today that two people on separate boats called in reports of sightings of an oceanic whitetip shark around two weeks ago. The sightings were both made by fishermen, only a mile offshore from St Ives.]International Bussiness Times UK

Why I have bought this to the attention of ATS is because one of the fishermen said they where 100% sure it was a oceanic white tip.

Simon Freemen also a fisherman, was in a second boat the day of the attack and allegedly said: 'I am 100 per cent sure it was an oceanic white tip.

Now there has never been any sightings of this shark in our waters.

The species is normally found in deeper waters, away from the coast, and far further south as they usually survive in temperatures of between 18C and 28C.

So is this just a case of mistake identity or did the fisherman really see a whitetip?

Matt Slater, curator of the Blue Reef Aquarium in Newquay, said the reported sightings were "exciting" before warning: "It is fairly unlikely that one would come up here, but it is possible."

What are your thoughts on this fellow ATS's

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I occasionally surf off the Pembrokeshire coast, which is only over the Bristol channel...... I aint bothered , it's nature !

I think the fact that people panic because they are NOT the Apex predator is somewhat amusing....

I say lets use the Royal Navy to go and hunt it down and make a pie out of it ..!! but wait a minute there probably are not enough warships left because we in the UK would rather spend our money and taxes on paying for every other nation except our own to defend itself and waste what's left on the welfare state and paying stupid public sector pensions !!

PDUK

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

You have a point there about us hunting it down!

But what was interesting about this attack is the fact that it maybe a species of shark that has never been seen in the UK waters.

And this whitetip shark likes deep ocean and warmer water.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by boo1981

You have a point there about us hunting it down!

But what was interesting about this attack is the fact that it maybe a species of shark that has never been seen in the UK waters.

And this whitetip shark likes deep ocean and warmer water.

Nothing stays constant in the world really.....could be a mistake on it's navigation, (watch out Haarp people will jump on that)..... could be a change of food or lack of it, could be a change of temperature or ocean currents, could be that the White Tip fancies a holiday in Cornwall for a change !!

What's important is that we appreciate what it is and not try to destroy it because it might hurt us.....!

Who knows....... we might have a mini ice age by this time next year with glaciers all the way down to London.......... I guess then the Polar Bears will be having the Last Laugh !!

Regards

PDUK

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Yeah, I'm off to Cornwall this year too.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
I can't help but feel that this has something to do with something one of our governments or corporations has done directly or indirectly. Probably a corporations fault.. They'll pay the compensation from the pennies in their pockets.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   

I hear what you say. I live in a small village between Toulouse and the Pyrenees. A couple of years ago, it was reported that a brown bear was once again spotted in the mountains, near the Spanish border. It was thought that bears had been wiped out from that area. Now, these bears are timid creatures and tended to shy away from humans. True, they supplimented their diet with livestock now and then.

The first reaction was to gather a group of hunters and go kill the poor thing. Thank goodness it was never found.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I've heard of many great white shark sightings in Cornwall but they are normally either Porbeagles or Makos(very similar to great whites) that are common to British waters.
edit on 15/6/11 by Viking9019 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
not to doubt the witnnesses - but may i be cynical for a moment ?

for the past several years we have had unconfirmed reports of " great white sharks " in UK waters

now , this year - after several very high profile attacks by OWT sharks in the red sea in jan / feb / march

WHAM !

an OWT is allegedly sited in UK waters

i have zero doubt that both great white and OWT sharks , COULD migrate here - but i have also seen a basking shark siting produce a mass hysteriia

thus - i remain skeptical

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   

That was my first thought, that maybe a change in temperture bought it there. Who knows.
And like you also said, the world is always changing.

And don't worry I have my HAARP baton ready!!

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
It was my ex wife having a dip.. Be afraid... Be very afraid.......

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by BattleFieldPredator

nice, feeling the love

Nice to know that if any country decides to try and invade, chances are they will meet the Cornish coastal defence

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
It's just one. No biggie. He could be lost or sick or whatever.
If you suddenly have bunches of them .. then there could be something going on.
Water temps ... navy playing games and screwing with the critters ....
But just one? Nothing big.

top topics

join