It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the hell is wrong with the British government?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
As senior Naval officers back First Sea Lord Admiral Sir Mark Stanhope's criticisms of the ability of the Navy to fight in Libya, Commander John Muxworthy, who sailed to the Falklands with the Royal Navy Task Force, looks at the ignominious end of a symbol of the once-mighty British fleet.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

I find this sickening.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Viking9019

Libya has shown how weak our Navy has become. There should be an aircraft carrier there with Harriers, but we've sold them all on the cheap. So Now we plough along with helicopters, with the ever growing possibility of ground troops. Entering another war, with no idea when it will be over and how much it will cost.

We are also giving bilions to foreign nations who have their own space and nuclear programs, yet weakening our own nations defense. It doesn't make sense
edit on 15-6-2011 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I could cry, I really could. When I first joined up, in the late 70s, there was about 100,00 personnel in the RAF alone. Now there is about 35,000. What the hell is happening?

We cannot use the American unbrella, they have their own problems. For goodness sake, we cannot even mount a proper operation in the Med any more and we control the gateway to the Med.

Our government needs to take a step back and rethink. All those poor souls that sacrificed themselves in so many conflicts, your current Government is betraying you.
edit on 15/6/2011 by TheLoneArcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Coming from an Ex-serviceman the Navy and rest of the forces are weak... not due to lack of funding but due to mis-management. The current government were right to cut their budget. Our armed forces are still the worlds 5th highest funded, even above countries the size of Russia. The UK is full of beuocracy, waste and liberals which is the problem.
edit on 15-6-2011 by michael1983l because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
keep cutting the military budget NATO,

end up with a couple guys and a sopwith camel and a 3mtr row boat and vintage .309's.

we won't pick up the tab soon anymore.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
I seriously do not know what to say..

sickening really.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
NATO is all but finished anyway, the Nations in NATO only want to act if it is in their own interests and the alignment of interests with all of those nations is never going to happen. Hence the reason why it is the same countries contributing all of the time. UK, US and Denmark.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Besides being British
?
Lordy Lord this is a sad day when the Brits can't blow to bits a few arabs.
God save the Queen when the Chinese come to the beach.
On a serious note its called treason,but most Brits are too silly to know.
edit on 15-6-2011 by Dr Expired because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
In response to the thread title, Our last 3 PM's including our current one, are NWO puppets, do you expect any different ?

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
What is worse that NATO officials are now complaining that NATO air operations in Libya are not enought to stop the conflict in Libya. I already started this thread too.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 15-6-2011 by Paulioetc15 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Bottomline is this............... We are NOT a rich enough country to spend on important areas like this......... we would rather 'fritter' our money away as we currently do....

We either get real as a population and understand that we are all too greedy and Consumer focussed.........

The current planned strike by the Public sector is again an illustration of this problem.............

The Country as a whole needs a 're-boot' or better still a kick up it's arse and move away from the me me me , celebrity based culture which is destroying this once great nation !!!

One final point......... in the 1930's prior to WW2 they armed forces of the UK were at an all time low and we were caught out by the German war machine (almost)............. I see the same situation arising again, especially when you see the huge number of unemployed and disaffected in other countries (Greece, Spain etc etc)....

History is a great teacher BUT we seem to have conviently forgotten about it....!!!

PDUK

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Is there a possibility that warfare is simply moving on with the advances from technology.

Looking at the drones flying around, do you need so many soldiers and thr means of transporting them, when at no loss of life to your forces, you can track, aim and kill from a distance.

The ME is a typical example for me of this Syria, may not have atomic weapons but she has a far better weaponry to use and that's chemical and biological. Wipe out the people and you waltz in, clear away the bodies and take over the country.

Durng the Falklands, I seem to remember some kind of a technological problem arising, the gist was that France perfectly legally had supplied the Argentinians with a weapon we used also so it produced problems for our tracking technology. It will perhaps be more of a technological and ciber war fought today and this is the area that investment and research needs to be aimed at. I won't say any more about whats wrong with the puppet display depicting British Government I would never stop! - and I wouldn't repeat myself either....

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Lynda101

Is there a possibility that warfare is simply moving on with the advances from technology.

No... Technology is only as good as the operator and has a tendency to let you down at the wrong moments..

This is why you will always need the infantryman to capture and hold ground. Without us boots on the ground, any air attack capability results in what we have now in Libya.. Its us grunts that win wars in the end.

As for the OP.. It sickens me too.. This government is too busy sending our money abroad without our permission to worry about our security... Its time we got rid of them all on both sides of the house of parliament!

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   
If the truth be known, there is no real substitute for boots on the ground. The only real way to hold ground is to physically occupy it. Before the second world war, it was thought that aircraft alone could dominate and win wars. This has been proven false time and time again. Tetchnology, drones and so forth are force augmentation, not substitutes.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Viking9019

keep downgrading and cut funding.

i don't know what to say when you guys hit bottom.

gotta up your game, bro!

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Big ships are just sitting ducks for the new generation of anti-shipmissiles, 'boots
on the ground' is only effective as long as the troops are willing and able to shoot anyone and everyone that presents a threat.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by JohhnyBGood

Whilst a modern flat top is an inviting target, it is notoriously difficult to get to. A carrier group is a well defended battle formation, comprising missile and phallanx shields. There are normally at least 2 attack submarines close by and 24 hour CAP.

Boots on the ground are trained to shoot at threats, that is why they are soldiers. Rules of engagement are quite specific, and those of you who are ex or current British military should be up to speed with your green cards.

In order to dominate and hold territory, you need a physical presence.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Vanishr

The last three?

And how many before that?

Please don't laud Thatcher!

She was about to drive through the most drastic cuts ever seen in the UK's Armed Forces until cicumstances forced her to do a U-Turn (not for turning? she was such a good liar and manipulator that still to this day believe that downright lie, her whole Falklands and Forces review policies were based upon lies spun on top of lies!).

The Tories, aided by their MSM lapdogs, portray themselves as the defenders of the Armed Forces and in turn this country, yet they have consistently stripped this country of it's ability to independantly defend itself.
This has been done whilst simultaneously succesive Prime Minister's and our current Monarch have knowingly surrendered Sovereignty to foreign bodies and powers.

However, bureaucracy and waste are endemic within our Armed Forces, as they seem to be in most UK businesses and organisations.
Yet there seems to be a reluctance in addressing these core issues.
I wonder why?
Perhaps too much public and professional scrutiny would reveal the depth of the incompetence and whose 'fingers are in the pie'?

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Hehe, just more evidence to fuel the point we are getting across, i was just talking of ones in my lifetime, i cant say how life was when thatcher was in power as i wasnt born yet

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

FB

I wished you would stop your crusade against the Conservatives.......... you have said in past posts you've made that it is all polictical parties,,,, the useless Labour lot as well.....

As you know, I was around when Thatcher was about and yes I agree there was alot of pain which stills hurts today BUT if you look at Spain and Greece and to a point Germany they have yet to evolve past where the UK was in the late 70's and early 80's...

She broke the unions and stopped the stupid ransoming of industry which to those it affected seemed and was harsh.... but we live in a world where we need more COMMON sense and less Political and Union Bias.....

The sooner we move away from partisan Politics the better which is why I make this request to you ..

Regards

PDUK

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join