It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3 more people arrested in Florida for feeding homeless, 15 arrested in the last 2 weeks

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
stalin did the same thing. he had his police confiscate the crops of the farmers. and then later he had them confiscate the seeds too, so they couldn't plant anything either. and they starved to death, enmasse. the ones that survived did so by stealing what little others had and by cannabalism. stalin used this as proof that when pressed hard enough, people all revert to being savage animals. of course, he left out the part where people sacrificed for each other and died of starvation because they didn't steal or cannabalize.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by GhostLancer

Yep, I expect it when I go to Florida to see the homeless, the nameless and poor, so of course if they begged me for money on the street I'd give 'em what I had in my purse. Why not? What are you afraid of? To go back to your silly little life and job and say, "Oh my gosh!" "You,ll never believe what happened to me whilst on my va-ca...a stinkin' homeless person came up to me and completely stressed me out!" "He had the audacity to ask me for a buck." And I bet you're the person that glances away when you're walking down the street and refuses to make eye contact with your fellow human being cuz your "uncomfortable." Head up, shoulders back and eyes looking ahead and make eye contact, smile and say, "Hi." You'd be amazed at the feedback.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheUniverse
reply to post by Vitchilo

I don't know what to say anymore we must remove these in-human police. They are Gestapo. They are jack-boots they are scum.

I hope we remember these when the revolution hits. We will have our vengeance on these government serfs.

That, I am beginning to think is the intended goal. Police are stupidly putting themselves in the position of the perfect patsy and will be sadly be scapegoated eventually.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Marked One
Too bad. People, homeless or not, need to stop being lazy and work.

I've got a feeling that comment was typed up in mommy's basement, am I right?

I'm usually right.

Anyhow, it is too bad that people who are doing good are being punished. When police are arresting charitable people, they cannot smell the orphanage burning across town, or hear the screams of the rape victims three streets over, or deter the bank robber on the other side of the river.

The police have got better things to do.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

just calling it how it is... all you people sticking up for the homeless from behind your thousand dollar computers in your thousands of dollar houses, go make them a meal... go invite them to dinner, go help them find a job... how the hell is this helping any homeless people by having a dig at me? homeless people dont even have computers to read you sticking upfor them so whats the point? to show your fellow poster youre such a great compassionate guy? get real.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   
I feel so much more safer now knowing that these dozen cops arresting 2-3 people for having a coffee/food stand for the homeless. The only thing missing in this scene is the red armbands.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
they brought in a gang of officers to arrest 3-4 people?

why don't they go after real criminals?

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Segenam

it was actuallly a reference to star wars...

BUT If YOURE saying what I think you're saying .. I would much rather befriend one of these 'homeless' as it were , than you .. because someone like you, who would 'ASSUME' so casually, doesn't deserve the time of day from me ...

Other than the time it took me to REwrite this post ...

haha that was fun

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
And this is why I have never bothered to post in the past as I see this same thing happen in every thread on ATS. Why did I think it would be any different in this one? Even after showing how this “political group” is using the “feed the homeless” angle to further their agenda people still jump up and down and say how terrible this is for the homeless. They purposely get arrested so they can then protest the arrests and make it look like the police are evil and tromping on the homeless, thus generating publicity for their agenda. Anybody who has read this thread, and not gone and looked up the activist group that is getting arrested here, to see how they are exploiting the homeless to further their cause really needs to.

The law does not prevent you or anybody else from feeding the homeless. It prevents you from co-opting public lands to setup a mass distribution point. If any one of you wants to go to Florida and feed a homeless person nobody will stop you, you will not be arrested, and you will not be oppressed. Just as long as you do not take public land and turn it into an impromptu homeless shelter. And if you wish to create this mass distribution point you may do so. You just need to get a license to do it on the public land of the downtown area. If you wish to do it without said license feel free to do so, out of the downtown area, as often as you like. The city does indeed have many Homeless shelters and soup kitchens setup around town. These are run not only by the city, but churches, and other aid organizations.

I myself never pass up a chance to help those in need. If I see someone asking for a handout I am there to assist. If I see someone in need of a ride I am there to offer one. I do not turn my nose up at helping homeless or needy people. So do not get the impression I am saying that we do not need to help them. What I am saying is there is help available for them already, and anybody who wishes to provide additional help for them can and do on a regular basis. However, in a very small part of the city, the “downtown” area, they do not let you setup relief stations on public land without a permit. Just as they will not let me setup a concert or a theatre production in this spot without a permit. The law is about the use of public lands not about feeding needy people.

I know I am speaking to deaf ears, so I am not sure why I bothered to make an account and post here. Nobody will read this and bother to check the facts. And those that are the most vocal about the Nazi, Fascist, Communist cops will not care one way or the other. As they have their own agenda to promote as well.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Works of Mercy

1. To feed the hungry
2. To give drink to the thirsty.
3. To shelter the homeless.
4. To clothe the naked.
5. To visit and ransom the captive, (prisoners).
6. To visit the sick.
7. To bury the dead.

Conclusion:
The government have no mercy

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by questcequecest

Ahhh ... To me, it just looked like you had posted your opinion ... there was nothing there to tell me i should not take your post literally ...

Apologies, if I am the only person that didnt realise not to take your post literally ...

Anyhoo ... yeah .. am glad i was wrong

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Byeluvolk

Apologies ... I am one of the people guilty of what you just said ... perhaps the fault lies with me .. perhaps it lies in what i initially read in this thread ...

Thanks for clarifying .... That does make more sense to me now ...

Although i feel terribly guilty at my ignorance now ... That people like me .. make people like you, feel so frustrated or whatever negative trait it is that makes you feel that you dont even want to post here and share your knowledge with us ... because 100% of us absolutely obviously have 'deaf ears' ...

Well .. i appreciate the post you did make anyway .. even though it appeared to come across grudgingly ..

Hopefully in future you could be happy to share you knowledge with us ... and then when i read your helpful posts, i wont feel that i have somehow put you out ...

Apologies for whatever it is i do wrong to you

edit on 16-6-2011 by Segenam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
First of all, I agree that this stinks to high heaven. They are not doing this for the sake of public safety andeverybody knows it. They are doing it to try to drive out an unsightly aspect of their city. Instead of helping them they're taking the easy way out. They're weak.

On the other side of the coin, you can't tell me that the activists cannot take their food and feed the homeless somewhere else in the city that is not affected by the law. There is a certain part of the city where this is not allowed, not the whole city. Seems to me that the activists are doing this more for the attention than they are trying to do something good for the sake of it.

If I were homeless, and I was at one point in my life, I wouldn't mind walking an extra mile or two to eat. That's a small price to pay for a full belly if you ask me. And no, I wouldn't look at that like I was giving in to "the man" and just blindly taking what they give me like a sheep. I would look at it like I was getting what I need regardless of what other people try to do to keep that from happening.

People are just going about this in the wrong way. You can't fight authority by protests, peaceful or otherwise, and expect to win. Look what happened in the '60's..... nothing changed. I used to stomp my feet and hold my breath when I was 5 years old and it didn't work back then either. You have to give TPTB the impression that you are playing their game. That takes the focus off of you so you can circumvent their idiotic laws that only serve them anyway.

Taking the homeless outside of the boundaries that were specified by the law is only one out of many ways to do something like this. This isn't the only self-serving and backwards law in the U.S. Trust me. Remember, for every law there is a loophole around it. The only reason that people don't take the time to find it is because they are not as well versed in the English language as those who wrote the law. It's either that or they know what the loophole is and don't care because if they go about things in the shadows, quietly unseen and effective, then attention is not drawn to them.

And it sounds to me like that is the case here. Activists? More like media whores if you ask me.

Sorry, but if you're intelligent enough to be able to read and comprehend a law such as this one, then you're smart enough to find a way around it.

youtu.be...

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Activists trying to get arrested on purpose, for the sole reason of highlighting their own agenda you say???
Rosa parks would want to have a chat with you about stepping up against unjust laws and regulations...

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   

First of all, Welcome to ATS.

Secondly, you are not talking to a board full of deaf ears. There is a lot, don't get me wrong, but not everyone here is like that. I agree that most people on this thread are taking this out of context. I used to live in Phoenix Az. for 20 years and now that I think about it, there were never any homeless people camped out too close to the State Capital building. Go just 1 mile to the north, south, east or west, in some cases not even that far, and you would have an entirely different story. There have never been any problems like what we are seeing in Florida down there because of that arrangement either.

This is what it is for the safety of all those who work at the capital. Trust me, not all homeless people are the doe-eyed innocents that some people try to make them out be . I wouldn't go so far as to say PUBLIC safety like the ones in Florida though.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by odyseusz
Works of Mercy

1. To feed the hungry
2. To give drink to the thirsty.
3. To shelter the homeless.
4. To clothe the naked.
5. To visit and ransom the captive, (prisoners).
6. To visit the sick.
7. To bury the dead.

Conclusion:
The government have no mercy

1,2,3,4 - All of these are done on a regular basis in the United States. There are many welfare and homeless programs available to those that need them. There is always room for more however, and I urge every Human on this planet to help even one needy person per week. You will be amazed at how much even this little bit of help can make.

5 - Yes, the USA does not deal with terrorists, so to ransom a captive will not happen.

6 - Not really possible for the Government to visit the sick, that is up to the individuals, so you can't really count this one.

7 - Indeed the U.S. Goverment will bury the dead if thier family cant afford a funeral.

Conclusion:

Here in the U.S. at any rate they are doing a fair job with "Mercy". Now if we could get the citizens of this country to do as much for thier fellow man as the Government is doing there would be no homeless or needy people left. Anybody who does not follow my rule of helping atleast 1 person in need each week, has no room to complain about the lack of assistance that IS given. If you really care then do something. I know many of the "needy" people are not really needy but just looking for a free ride, but if even one of the people you help this month is indeed in need of assistance then it was all worth it.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Segenam

Well it was not directed at any single person, so do not take it personal. Just me venting.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by fryed

Not sure how to take this, with only text to read.

If this was in some way saying that the "activists" I mention were doing this because of the law that supposedly prevents you from feeding the homeless you need to go read up on them. They are not protesting the law preventing them from setting up a soup kitchen. They are anti war activists, using the homeless as a vehicle to get media coverage for their true cause. They may not even give a second thought to the homeless; that is not their agenda. Their agenda has nothing to do with the homeless, or food distribution.

EDIT***

This is not to say they are not really helping the needy as they are, and in most cases this is a good thing. But their use of the cover of "helping the needy" to further their true cause of stop the wars, is the real issue with this story. The arrests were staged solely to generate media coverage and get the name "Food not Bombs" on people’s minds. I do not begrudge their efforts to feed the needy, and I do not begrudge their efforts to end wars. What I take offence at is staging an obvious publicity stunt to further their cause, using the homeless and needy as nothing more than a pawn in their political game. If your cause is to end wars, then by all means protest war, but do not try to gain sympathy for your cause by staging an event to try and make it look like the homeless are being oppressed just to get your group’s name on the television. They try to make it look like they are protesting the law preventing them from setting up a soup kitchen in the city park. But the real issue was only to get their name on the news. If they truly wanted to help the needy they would setup where they did not need to worry about this law, and concentrate on feeding people not being attention whores.
edit on 16-6-2011 by Byeluvolk because: Added more info to explain my point of view.

edit on 16-6-2011 by Byeluvolk because: Fix some spelling

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

Originally posted by Marked One
Too bad. People, homeless or not, need to stop being lazy and work.

I've got a feeling that comment was typed up in mommy's basement, am I right?

I'm usually right.

Anyhow, it is too bad that people who are doing good are being punished. When police are arresting charitable people, they cannot smell the orphanage burning across town, or hear the screams of the rape victims three streets over, or deter the bank robber on the other side of the river.

The police have got better things to do.

My mother is dead. And No. I was at work.

And it's been mentioned enough already that it's not necessarily illegal to just hand a half-eaten sandwich to a homeless person. It's illegal to feed a whole bunch of people at one time which by definition is a soup kitchen. And you need a permit to operate a soup kitchen. That's where the term 'illegal' comes into play. And you do something illegal. You either get fined, jailed, or both.

You still think I'm wrong? Too bad. Get fined and/or go to jail.

edit on 6/16/11 by Marked One because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by questcequecest
reply to post by Amaterasu

just calling it how it is... all you people sticking up for the homeless from behind your thousand dollar computers in your thousands of dollar houses, go make them a meal... go invite them to dinner, go help them find a job... how the hell is this helping any homeless people by having a dig at me? homeless people dont even have computers to read you sticking upfor them so whats the point? to show your fellow poster youre such a great compassionate guy? get real.

Hahahaha! Lessee... I bought this computer about six years ago (when things were better), live in a tiny apartment in an old and rotting house with $58 to live on each month. I go to the food pantry every week to supplement the $200 I get in food stamps. I have been looking for a job for over five years - applying on the web and in person to about 25-50 jobs a day. (Yeah, I can help someone get a job - I have applied to somewhere between 35,000 and 50,000 jobs in the past five years and I'm REALLY doing well.)

But I HAVE invited homeless to share My meager supply...

It's helping because comments like Yours on a high-traffic board like this might lead some to think Your position is a good one and by replying, perhaps They may do deeper thinking, and thereby more will choose compassion.

I had a computer when I went homeless four years ago - it's small, and was one of the few things I kept with Me. I connect at friends or at the library. And I know a number of others who are/have been homeless that did the same thing.

The point, as stated above, is to spur thinking and compassion in readers. The more with compassion and the more thinking done, the better society is overall.

I don't need to "show" how compassionate I am. I want to instill compassion in as many as possible, because I know that most who are downtrodden are that way because of the luck of the draw - having NOTHING to do with Their motivation. Believe Me, I don't lack motivation. I lack luck.
edit on 6/16/2011 by Amaterasu because: typo

edit on 6/16/2011 by Amaterasu because: correction

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join