It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia pays Canada to decomission nuclear subs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Apparently the russian nuclear sub fleet will be getting even smaller with this new deal. Russia is paying Canada 18 million dollars to take its subs apart and ensure that the radioactive materials don't get into the hands of terrorists. This is a sad day for the former superpower they cant even take their own subs apart

Canada said Wednesday it had signed a 24 million dollar deal (18 million US dollars) to help Russia dismantle nuclear submarines, under a scheme devised to keep radioactive material out of the hands of terrorists.

"Spent nuclear fuel in Russian submarine reactors presents an international security risk and an environmental threat to the Arctic and Barents Sea," said Foreign Minister Pierre Pettigrew

The deal is part of the Group of Eight industrialised nations Global Partnership, which provides 20 billion dollars in funding to target vulnerable stocks of radioactive material in post-Soviet Russia.

Russia currently has 56 retired nuclear submarines in the Barents Sea region awaiting disposal.

Russian subs getting dismantled.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 08:11 AM
link   
it certainly is a sad day westpoint
. I just wonder what the Soviets could of done if they didn't spend so much money on weapons and spent it on the people, i'm pretty sure they'd still be around today and the worlds picture of communism might of been a lot different.

It's a pity to see the russian sub fleet wasting away, they sure make some nice looking subs, especially the akula and typhoon classes. The typhoon is an amazing piece of tech and a testament to what the soviets could achieve with limited technology.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 05:04 PM
link   
You commented :
"This is a sad day for the former superpower they cant even take their own subs apart "

If that was the case you it wouldn't be possible for you to be writing that any longer.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 05:07 PM
link   
A while ago, I seem to remember a little "oopsie" about Russia and some of the former Soviet States "losing" some nuclear material..For Russia, this seems like an intellegent thing to do. If Canada takes them apart and THEY lose it, it's on Canada...letting the Russians wash there hands..and deflect possible scrutiny for any "dirty bomb" material ending up somewhere else...The only question is, how are they paying for it?

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   

how are they paying for it?

To help you answer that :
www.abovetopsecret.com...

MBF

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I'm just glad that they are responsable enough to allow the nuclear fuel to be secured in a responsable way. I believe that too much has already fallen into the wrong hands.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Russia was getting scrutinized for the abandoned subs that it had rusting in harbors. I guess they decided to step it up and clean the are a bit better this time. Why didn't Russia ask the US to do it there are 2 options 1. Canada does it cheaper than the US. 2. The russian government still resent the US even though its 13 years since the USSR collapsed.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Ok..so Russia has a surplus of 290 billion rubles (let's give the little reds credit)..in Canadian dollars that is a grand total of 13 billion bucks...with that..how MUCH are they paying to decom these subs? And how much per sub? Seems to me that someone in the world would be itching to dispose of these subs for free just to make sure the glowing green stuff stays safe..just my 2 cents.

join