It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the filtered " reality " of the internet ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
hi , i have just watched a TED presentation with Eli Pariser , vid link

the synopsis is , the internet is increasingly being filtered to provide " tailored content " , based on your alleged " preferences "

i use alleged preferences delibereatly - because - hey no one has ever actually asked me - they seem to just assume

now tailored ads are all well and good , i like tailored ads - they make perfect sense

but tailored news ????

i want to look at the world for my self - not through some lens that someone else chose for me

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Very relevant thread that deserves the flag and star , its like the old salesman trick , ?
And which color would you prefer the red one or the white one , before you have even decided its worth buying?

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Very interesting.

You can thwart goggle, huffington, yahoo news, etc, by turning off cookies in your browser.

This won't work on sites that require logging on though, e.g. Facebook.

I'm glad this stuff is coming out into the open. For too long this has been a conversation that you would only find in a tech based forum/news source.

S & F

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
It's the latest basis for all advertising. Being the new TV channel ads but way more personalized to the demographic. News feeds on certain sites, networking, and search sites are very tailored to each person's last clicks because of tracking cookies.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
There is only one person doing what I'm doing on the net and most can figure that out.
But I am not the only one blocked from the truth because everyone else is as well.
Open up a box of goodies that will set the record straight is what we seek.
If anyone cares.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Hulu still shows me Tampax commercials... Does the Interwebs know something I don't?

Why would you be relying on these kinds of sites for news anyways? Reddit, Digg (before it imploded) and other "respected" blogs are where I get my news and I find that I'm severely more informed than anyone else I know... This saddens me.

top topics

join