It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it wrong to vote in online US election polls if you aren't a US citizen?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Hi all,

With the talk of most elections usually hovering around polls, this question needs to be asked.

Specifically, this question is about the US 2012 election, however it does extend to other national elections as well.

Election polls do have the power to shape the outcome of any kind of election- whether it be for a party nomination or for the national election itself. Election Polls, by definition, are supposed be an accurate and honest reflection of the public's current opinion on certain candidates.

Do you think it is right to vote in these polls, and influence their results and interpretations if you are not a US citizen?

I've been thinking about Ron Paul's GOP nomination specifically, and hopefully this next little spiel will help illustrate the complexity a little bit.

I like Ron Paul. I think he is by far the best man for the job of POTUS. I joined his facebook group, and they send me notifications anytime there is an online poll you can vote in for Ron Paul. Like most people who joined the group (I am sure there are many here on ATS), I vote on these polls anytime I get the chance, and I notice that these polls seem to always be slanted in Ron Paul's favor.

Being a Canadian citizen myself, is it right to be a part of that? Am I not in some way infringing on the sovereignty of US citizens to decide for themselves who should be winning these polls? Of course it could just be said that polls aren't real votes- but none-the-less, we are in the internet age, and online opinion does have an influence on the vote in the end.

Before the internet, American polls were only published with American votes. Now, they are published with the votes of pretty much anybody around the world who has access to the internet. Then when the results are displayed, Americans are thinking this is the American opinion of the moment, when it really isn't- it's the Internet's opinion. By this, I mean all the people who are too young to vote, in foreign countries, and don't at all demographically represent the portion of Americans who will actually be voting (consequently, when I see a poll that shows Ron Paul at 50+%, I totally disregard that poll as representing what polls are supposed to reflect: the current choice of American voters).

Seems wrong to me, but of course; there are always 2 sides to the ethical coin.

The President of the United States is without doubt the most important position of power around the world (at least, the most important front for TPTB, as well as the only front you can choose). The President is (theoretically), in charge of the country that has enough international ties, control and economic influence to bring down the entire world.

Shouldn't I have a right to somehow influence the results of an election that could impact the sovereignty of my own country, as well as the well being of myself and the rest of the world?

I think so.

Thoughts?
edit on 14/6/1111 by Monts because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Online polls are for entertainment. They don't mean anything. An online poll only reflects who happened to be online today.

Now voting in a real election, that would be wrong. Online? Meh.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I think as long as your voting for Ron Paul its a great idea because online polls or really there to just sway the vote anyway, my opinion people are more likely to vote for a winner so if polls are good might as well get the best numbers for the right guy. Although I live in Canada its pretty important to have him elected. not only as an example but lets face it its your best chance of not turning into a third world country. If the American people would come to understand that there isn't a "left or a right" anymore but rather a central banking cartel running your country ( and most of the globe) then its a better place. Unfortunately there is no such odd ball in Canadian politics or id be all over it.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by tonyinawareness

Haha I agree totally with your post.

I've always wished there was a libertarian in one of the major parties like Ron Paul, but we got's nothing at all.

For the main question though, If by voting in online polls we are swaying public opinion (as in people deciding to vote for whoever seems to be the winner), then aren't we, as foreigners, somehow guiding the vote of Americans?

I mean, it comes down to the individual who is voting, but is there not some kind of moral fallacy in the fact that you are helping influence a foreign election by anonymously affecting a poll that people will think to be by instinct (most people in America, I assume would look at a poll and just expect it to be) an American poll?

Personally, I think I have every right to do all I can to sway the vote if it is going to affect my own personal life in the future, but none-the-less it is an interesting question.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Schkeptick
Online polls are for entertainment. They don't mean anything. An online poll only reflects who happened to be online today.

Now voting in a real election, that would be wrong. Online? Meh.

Of course they don't mean anything, but your average American is going to look at an online poll and just see it as nothing more than the view of Americans.

It does take some critical thought to understand the complete fallacy of online polls, but critical thinking is something that a lot of Americans seem to lack (and something that their entire media and educational systems seems to be designed to undermine). Denying ignorance is pretty much a synonym for denying non-critical thinking.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Like most of our transactions occurring online, it is NOT wrong to vote online for US elections. But polls don't mean much and one must be a US citizen to "represent" a nation.
edit on 2011-6-15 by pikypiky because: To correct for "proper" grammar and spelling.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   

top topics

join