It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University Dean Plagerized convocation speech!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
This to me is really unbelievable! The Dean of Medicine at the University of Alberta plagerized his convocation speech! check this out:

Source: www.cbc.ca...

"The dean of medicine at the University of Alberta is apologizing to his colleagues and students after being accused of plagiarizing his convocation speech.

"The talk was intended for a private audience," Dr. Philip Baker wrote in a letter to the graduating class. "Nevertheless, my failure to attribute the source of my inspiration is a matter of the utmost regret"

"Students claim Baker's speech given Friday during a graduation banquet, which told personal stories about how medical science has helped his wife and children, was lifted — word for word — from a talk given by surgeon and professor Atul Gawande at Stanford University's 2010 medical school convocation."

Crazy eh! Dean of Medicine plagerizes the speech when students face stiff penalties for plagerism including academic probation and expulsion! Anyways, thought it was interesting to pass along

thoughts?

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
To be honest with ya'll I sometimes plagiarized but instead of copying word for word I paraphrased it and added my own words to make it less suspicious

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

Haha.. I think this situation calls for you to write an actual speech! You can't plagerize especially as a Dean of a university!

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Isn't it obvious? The University of Alberta is where the cure for cancer (DCA) has been discovered, and is currently being ignored by Big Pharma for obvious financial reasons. This is just a small step in sweeping their discoveries under the rug.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I heard about this a few days ago, since I live in Edmonton and went to school at the University of Alberta. (I wasn't in Medicine, though, I was in Engineering) The speech was almost word for word plagiarized, such that students were able to go online with Blackberries, etc, find the original speech, and follow along with the dean as he spoke!

Given my experiences in university (and it may be similar elsewhere, I have no idea) I'm not surprised that this happened. I've seen a lot of students plagiarize other students' work, and nobody cares that it's going on, so seeing a professor do it doesn't shock me at all. We also had another case a couple years ago with an engineering professor who allegedly plagiarized and misused funding, and was subsequently dismissed. (and hired by the university of Calgary :p) I don't know if the plagiarism charges were ever proven or not, but I know for a fact that he did indeed misuse funding and that NSERC (the major source of most scientific funding in Canada) cut off his funding indefinitely because of it.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Just to add, my local newspaper reported this morning that Philip Baker has resigned as Dean of Medicine, though he will keep his position as a professor, and continue to teach at the university, at least for now.

(post by Judith2019 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

top topics

join