It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wisconsin Supreme Court Upholds Wisconsin Union Busting Law

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

ATTENTION!!!

Please post on topic.

Wisconsin Supreme Court Upholds Wisconsin Union Busting Law

That means there should be no personal dialogue, posts about welfare, or other off topic posts.

Further such remarks can and will result in post removals and/or warnings including temporary posting bans.

Mod Note: Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link.

MOD NOTE: ALL MEMBERS: We expect civility and decorum within all topics - Please Review This Link.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by SM2
reply to post by queenofsheba

Personally I dislike most unions these days. Union workers work less and get paid more than a non union worker. Add to that, in alot of states, you are forced to join the union and pay dues to work in certain places. What if I can not afford the union dues? What if I do not agree with the union? What gives the union the right to force me to join and take my money for a representation that I do not desire? On to the real issue in Wisconsin, its public unions that are being busted, whats wrong with that? Public workers are public servants. If they want to make more money or have better benefits, well, then go work in the private sector where competition for skilled workers with an actual work ethic drives the pay an benefits higher. All public unions do is drive states into financial decline. Why should the teacher that is not allowed to teach because of improper contact with a student be paid 125k a year to sit in a room and read a newspaper, this happens in New York all the time because of the public unions. Why is it anytime you see a state, county or city road crew doing work there are 5 people standing around talking and 2 more actually working? That is a public union hard at work wasting the tax payers money

Never seen anyone being "forced" to join the union. As a matter of fact, when I did work for the Teamsters in the past it was a choice whether or not people joined. If you didn't, you didn't get to vote on the contract. A choice. You could however, thank the unions for your weekend.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
To those who think government workers make peanuts. Why dont you actually check in to how much Wisconsin union government workers actually make. I'll take my cousin for example. He recently graduated college and accepted a position teaching 9th grade Science. The website below is a searchable database that allows you to search Wisconsin teachers by name to see how much they make in salary and benifits. According to public records, he made $51,000 in 2010 (his first year) and roughly $24,000 in fringe benifits. On top of this he gets 2 weeks off for Christmas, 1 week off for spring break, 2 weeks vacation, 10 personal days and the entire friken summer off.

www.postcrescent.com...

AVERAGE WAGE PLUS BENEFITS FOR WISCONSIN TEACHERS (remember this is for a little over 9 months of work)

Milwaukee - $86,297
Elmbrook - $91,065
Germantown - $83,818
Hartland Arrowhead - $90,285
Men Falls - $81,099
West Bend - $82,153
Waukesha - $92,902
Sussex - $82,956
Mequon - $95,297
Kettle Moraine - $87,676
Muskego - $91,34

MADISON GARBAGE COLLECTORS (2009 - salary only):

One garbage collector earned $159,258 in 2009, including $109,892 in overtime and other pay.
Another earned $125,598
7 Madison garbage collectors earned over $100,000
30 Madison garbage collectors earned over $70,000

MILWAUKEE CITY BUS DRIVERS (salary only):

136 Drivers earned more than $70,000
54 Drivers earned more than $80,000
18 Drivers earned more than $90,000
8 Drivers earned more than $100,000
Top Driver earned $117,000

The average PRIVATE SECTOR BUS DRIVER makes $9-13 an hour (about 20,000 yr) with no pension or healthcare.

Source: dpi.wi.gov...
edit on 17-6-2011 by joyride0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by joyride0187

So what you are saying is that by being in a union you will be paid a fair wage and have a sustainable lifestyle, while working for the now vaunted private sector performing the same tasks you will be taken advantage of and forced to live pay check to paycheck while qualifying for government assistance and guaranteeing admittance into the class affectionately known as "The Working Poor" or as most of those be feel "The Working Dead".

ALL I HEAR COMING FROM YOU PEOPLE IS WAH WAH WAH
THESE PEOPLE HAVE DECENT AND SUSTAINABLE LIFE'S!!!

This is benefit envy at its worst. Instead of being mad these people are paid well (debatable in this economy) maybe more should unionize in the private sector and demand that they start paying people their worth and stop intentionally making us slaves to minimum wage. The cost of living has made surviving on anything less than 17 an hour impossible without welfare or living solely to work.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by LexiconRiot

No you are putting words in my mouth. First of all you need to calm the hell down and stop being so emotional. The point of my post was that pulic union members are making highly inflated wages at the cost of taxpayers. The taxpayers cannot be expected to continue to pay 100% of these lavish salaries and pensions.

You just dont get it, Wisconsin is completely broke due to years of insane policies that drove many businesses out while funneling money into the UAW. We were running a HUGE deficit and collective barganing for public unions is just one of the main reasons. Ill give you an example of how collective barganing effects the tax rate. Last Febuary the city I live in (Racine, WI) had one of the worst blizzards in its history. There wasnt enough snow plow city workers to plow the streets so the city was forced to hire outside contractors for a few days. The unions got upset and filed greivances with the city. Local 67′s beef? That the city of Racine violated their collective bargaining agreement.The union claims they were deprived of work that ultimately was done by the private contractors. They apparently think that the amount of time it would have taken to do the clean up without help is of no consequence. Who cares if people were trapped in their homes? Who cares if roads were impassable? Eventually, those union folks would have gotten them taken care of. Eventually. So just remeber, whatever raises that union government workers get or grievances filed means taxes increase for EVERYONE.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by joyride0187

The average PRIVATE SECTOR BUS DRIVER makes $9-13 an hour (about 20,000 yr) with no pension or healthcare.

Source: dpi.wi.gov...

Marginalize me how you want calling me "emotional." Doesn't change the facts good sir. I put no words where they didn't belong. You are advocating that everyone should be poor because some bus drivers are poor. Corporat Communism...

You just dont get it, Wisconsin is completely broke due to years of insane policies that drove many businesses out while funneling money into the UAW.

FALSE. Gov Walkers tax cuts caused his debt issues. Source
Legislative Fiscal Bureau Robert Wm. Lang, Director
There is no doubt that Unions are greedy and need to be put in check. However, an agreement is an agreement and there is just cause for the complaint. Whether you and I agree with the grievance or not. A CONTRACT IS A CONTRACT! Taxes pay for the Public Employees to do public jobs. Would you prefer having no snow plow drivers work public sector and you were responsible to clear your own roads?

Having lived in Maine I know this issue all too well. The fact stands though, that people have a contract and it must be honored. Future negotiations should be done with a clause that private workers can be called in extreme situations. OR a better fix maybe the state should hire more snow plow drivers? Cant have it both ways my friend.
edit on 17-6-2011 by LexiconRiot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by LexiconRiot
There is no doubt that Unions are greedy and need to be put in check. However, an agreement is an agreement and there is just cause for the complaint. Whether you and I agree with the grievance or not. A CONTRACT IS A CONTRACT! Taxes pay for the Public Employees to do public jobs. Would you prefer having no snow plow drivers work public sector and you were responsible to clear your own roads?

Having lived in Maine I know this issue all too well. The fact stands though, that people have a contract and it must be honored. Future negotiations should be done with a clause that private workers can be called in extreme situations. OR a better fix maybe the state should hire more snow plow drivers? Cant have it both ways my friend.

Wow for once I completely agree with you! That is why the current public contracts WILL be honored according to Walker. Collective barganing rights will be stripped at the start of the next contract.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by joyride0187

Rights being stripped is what you are cheerleading. Wow.... Land of the free no more! Do not unite under one voice! We promise to pay fairly. I swear! HAHA. Wow indeed.

I also like how you ignored the fact that the debt in WI was caused by Walker. Contrary to the idea that the unions collective bargaining caused it.... nice dodge.
edit on 17-6-2011 by LexiconRiot because: (no reason given)

Critical thinking is hard. That is why whenever I post valid points as I have many of times on this thread alone no one refutes them. Reasoning: Fox news didn't tell you how to refute facts that don't support the NeoCon point of view. This of course is my opinion and not a fact.
edit on 17-6-2011 by LexiconRiot because: content

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by joyride0187

www.postcrescent.com...

AVERAGE WAGE PLUS BENEFITS FOR WISCONSIN TEACHERS (remember this is for a little over 9 months of work)

Milwaukee - $86,297
Elmbrook - $91,065
Germantown - $83,818
Hartland Arrowhead - $90,285
Men Falls - $81,099

Your link shows nothing of the sort. Please clarify.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join