It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wisconsin Supreme Court Upholds Wisconsin Union Busting Law

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Wisconsin Supreme Court Upholds Wisconsin Union Busting Law

www.jsonline.com

Madison - Acting with unusual speed, the state Supreme Court on Tuesday reinstated Gov. Scott Walker's plan to all but end collective bargaining for tens of thousands of public workers.

The court found a committee of lawmakers was not subject to the state's open meetings law, and so did not violate that law when they hastily approved the measure and made it possible for the Senate to take it up. In doing so, the Supreme Court overruled a Dane County judge who had struck down the legislation, ending one challenge to the law even as new challenges are likely to emerge.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Remember, the objection here was procedural, that the Republican majority in the senate didn’t provide enough notice to the Democrats before bringing the CB bill to the floor and passing it. They could have cured the error by re-passing the bill with proper notice, but obviously they wanted to avoid that lest it jumpstart a new round of protests.

Its good to see the taxpayers finally win one.

www.jsonline.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

Well, that's unfortunate. What good comes of union busting may I ask?

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

As a former and soon to be again Wisconsinite (Cheesehead). WooHoo!

With luck, now the unions will strike and they can be fired. Then people who actually want to work will be employed.

Break the unions or financially break the state taxpayer. I'll go with breaking the unions.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Really? You're cool with losing the working middle class? Cuz that's what union families are, working middle class.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofsheba

I'm middle class, and have never worked for a union. That's a lame argument, just like the Democrats say that Republicans want to kill all old people.

Private unions I am ok with as the company and the union head negotiate. Public unions iI am not ok with. Even FDR opposed them. If there is to be a public union, it should only apply to Police, Firefighters and EMTs.

Unions are a nepotistic bunch. They've had their time in the sun and blew it. Time for them to go. Just my opinion.
edit on 14-6-2011 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Well, what would you rather have...working union families that provide for themselves or those that work for let's say, Walmart, who go into county welfare offices to apply for health care/Medicaid benefits cuz Walwart only allows them to work thirty-six hours and therefore doesen't have to offer them health care benefits? Why don't you become an American? That's what I'd like to know.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

Actually I am surprised this didnt occur sooner. The County judge over stepped her authority when she made her ruling.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

I'm middle class, and have never worked for a union. That's a lame argument, just like the Democrats say that Republicans want to kill all old people.

Private unions I am ok with as the company and the union head negotiate. Public unions iI am not ok with. Even FDR opposed them. If there is to be a public union, it should only apply to Police, Firefighters and EMTs.

Unions are a nepotistic bunch. They've had their time in the sun and blew it. Time for them to go. Just my opinion.

Why only Police, Firefighters and EMT's? What differentiates them from say, teachers, social workers, county workers and the like? Are they somehow special? Bigger question is....what do you do? And why would you be jealous of your fellow American? That's what I'd like to know....

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenofsheba

Why only Police, Firefighters and EMT's? What differentiates them from say, teachers, social workers, county workers and the like? Are they somehow special? Bigger question is....what do you do? And why would you be jealous of your fellow American? That's what I'd like to know....

Police, Firefighters and EMTs put their lives on the line daily, so yep, they’re special. The rest you mention, well, they’re to put it bluntly, workers, just like the rest of us. I agree, there should be benefits with a job, but not at the expense of those Wal-Mart employees. The taxes to support public unions are just to high.

The Union/Non-Union argument is quite the tight rope. As for being American, I served 30+ years in our military and invested my money, rather than partying. (Well, I did do some) As for what I do, I’m retired and living off my earnings, thank you very much. Oh yea, and I did it all on a non-union wage.

Taking an anti-union stance does not make me any less American than you. Probably makes me more of a American as I believe in American exceptionalism, rather than entitlements.

I take it you are affected by this ruling?

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   

I agree with most of your post, but I believe there should be no public unions. Inthe negotiations who is representing the bosses (taxpayers)? Give up... No one is. The unions contribute to Democrats then set across the table and negotiate, serious conflict of interest.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   

You served all that time in the military and don't what, think you deserve the benefits you've earned? Really? I would bet you appreciate them. People who are in unions pay their dues and typically 20 percent of their health care. Why, oh why would someone disrespect their fellow neighbor for their work? I don't get it. I just don't get it. Hell, my mom appreciates the one hundred percent health benefits she gets from her deceased husband, a WWII vet, or do ya think the feds should take that away from her, too? And isn't military service about as "public" as it gets?
edit on 14-6-2011 by queenofsheba because: add line

PS...no, I'm not affected by the ruling personally, why?

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

You served all that time in the military and don't what, think you deserve the benefits you've earned? Really? I would bet you appreciate them. People who are in unions pay their dues and typically 20 percent of their health care. Why, oh why would someone disrespect their fellow neighbor for their work? I don't get it. I just don't get it. Hell, my mom appreciates the one hundred percent health benefits she gets from her deceased husband, a WWII vet, or do ya think the feds should take that away from her, too? And isn't military service about as "public" as it gets?

You just seemed passionate about it. No offense.

I do appreciate my benefits, but don’t depend upon them. The VA system is clogged and I can afford separate health insurance. I may need it in the future, but not now. I signed a contract when I enlisted but don’t really expect our government to abide by it before too long. I once did though. That’s why I invested. My Father is a retired Wisconsin State employee and he has had his benefits cut drastically, but he’s a smart man and is doing fine as well. I should have listened to him sooner.

As for people who did the same concerning unions, I believe that they should be grandfathered. It’s a contract. And I believe that a contract should be honored. Benefits have to be rethought in a financial manner, just like the military is doing nowadays. Today’s new Soldiers will not get the benefits I receive. I myself, think that’s a crying shame. But less workers means fewer taxes to support the those who receive benefits. Older people will soon outnumber younger people, it’s going to get expensive.

Benefits across the board are killing us. Everyone, from government to companies is rethinking how to compensate loyal employees. I believe that one of the problems is that there aren’t very many loyal employees anymore. Everyone has their hand out. And we are no longer the manufacturing nation we once were. Something has to give. And unfortunately, it’s our economy. It’s simple mathematics.

America is spiraling down fast, and something drastic has to be done if we are to recover.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
This is good news to me. We are facing a similar battle here in Ohio as a group of those opposed to similar legislation seek to take the measure to a state wide referendum to undo what has already passed. First they must solicit petition signatures. As predicted, they are getting creative with that process and are intent on spreading lies and half truths in order to gain signatures.

When they are ready to start paying for their own perks and benefits, I will begin to start listening with an open ear. Or they can start paying for mine.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

You just seemed passionate about it. No offense.

I do appreciate my benefits, but don’t depend upon them. The VA system is clogged and I can afford separate health insurance. I may need it in the future, but not now. I signed a contract when I enlisted but don’t really expect our government to abide by it before too long. I once did though. That’s why I invested. My Father is a retired Wisconsin State employee and he has had his benefits cut drastically, but he’s a smart man and is doing fine as well. I should have listened to him sooner.

As for people who did the same concerning unions, I believe that they should be grandfathered. It’s a contract. And I believe that a contract should be honored. Benefits have to be rethought in a financial manner, just like the military is doing nowadays. Today’s new Soldiers will not get the benefits I receive. I myself, think that’s a crying shame. But less workers means fewer taxes to support the those who receive benefits. Older people will soon outnumber younger people, it’s going to get expensive.

Benefits across the board are killing us. Everyone, from government to companies is rethinking how to compensate loyal employees. I believe that one of the problems is that there aren’t very many loyal employees anymore. Everyone has their hand out. And we are no longer the manufacturing nation we once were. Something has to give. And unfortunately, it’s our economy. It’s simple mathematics.

America is spiraling down fast, and something drastic has to be done if we are to recover.

I hardly think benefits across the board is what is killing us...try outsourcing, big corporations heeding their bottom line. Less workers means fewer taxes, huh? Interesting...older people will soon outnumber younger people and it's gonna get expensive. Not everyone has their hand out, you know. And for those that do, they don't especially want to be there with their hand out. I don't think it's working class union members that are bringing down this country, I really don't. Try the war mongers....how much is it costing America to finance all the people they have assigned to waging war? You can so easily put down union members who work for a fair and honest living and would be done with that sooner than waging war?

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   

And you are one of the truly lucky ones that don't have to utilize their VA benefits. The VA? How often have you been to their hospitals, clinics, to see the VA's doctors? It is a clog, and a slow moving machine. Do you think for a minute that these vets wouldn't rather be at a private upscale hospital where they can have real, dedicated and personalized care from a private doctor? Of course they would. Do you even know how the VA medical system works? You know how long it takes to get an appointment and when you have one you know how long you sit and wait...after finally finding a parking space and dragging your sore tired body to the desk? Yeah, you are so very lucky you don't have to "depend" on VA care. You are apparently one of the lucky ones, so don't begrudge those less fortunate than you, and that includes union members who have certainly put in their time throughout their careers and have paid in for their health care benefits and long-term care.

And why in the world would you think for a minute your working class, fellow union American neighbors are responsible for this "spiraling down fast" of America? Try again.....

edit on 14-6-2011 by queenofsheba because: spelling

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   

I never put down union workers; I have a problem with their leadership. I said that the union/non-union argument is a tightrope as it easily spins into a MediCare, MedicAid, welfare, etc, boondoggle.

As for my military service, I’d rather train for war than fight one. And I would rather fight for my country, rather corporations.

I joined originally because I was a young patriot (Military Brat) and due to the fact that I was also in a poor family and did not have the best GPA, I thought I could further my education as well.

As time passed and I rose through the ranks, multiple times, (I was a wild child), I came to realize that I was no longer there for my country, but for my fellow Soldiers. But after a while, even that soured as I watched good Soldiers leave and a new generation take its place.

There are still good troops, but they seem to me to be farther and fewer than before. So I retired before becoming to bitter.

As for the VA, yep, I've used their services and am still waiting a reply. My body has been perforated and broke over the years. I know they're swamped and I do appreciate their service. I ended up using my private provider. I'm paying for it, might as well use it. If I’m using my private provider, it frees the system up for those who cannot afford it.

But do you realize, that Corporations and Companies exist for one thing, and one thing only. To make a profit.

If I own a company where my employees are making a quality product and it’s selling well, I will reward them. If I am losing money and they want more, I’ll move the company to where it is profitable again. It’s as simple as that.

And public unions create no profit whatsoever, the public employees provide a service.

I am not jealous of my fellow American workers, but I must ask, are you jealous because I invested wisely?

Got to hit the hay, though I have enjoyed our debate. You and people like you keep me thinking. Thanks

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Really? You're cool with losing the working middle class? Cuz that's what union families are, working middle class.

Amazing how you can take the giant leap from this bill being upheld to "losing the working middle class".

Union/progressive fear mongering at its worst.

First, most of the middle class workers are NOT union members. Your argument goes down in flames right there.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
US and it's union nonsense. We have 100% teachers union. And for the rest it is really high too. We never had problem with that. I see things like mob and corruption associated with unions but that is not the intent of them. They are there to protect the workers and only force that can stand up to the employers. If there is bad apples there they have to be taken out harshly so they wont take the whole image of unions down.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
what good comes from union busting?

instead of having 100 overpaid jobs you can have a 1000 jobs

thats what people forget for every 1 union job your putting other people out of work who cant find a job.

go wisconsin!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join