It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Masonic Textbook

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by DRAZIWonfused, because masons themselves are confused.

They do believe in a Supreme Force of sorts. I know one year the Grand Chaplain of Arizona was Buddhist.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
How about a masonic lodge for ATHEISTS ??? since they don't believe in G-D they could use Jahbulon and still remain ATHEISTS. Or is freemasonry prejudiced against Atheism ??? Did not the progressive French permit atheists before ???

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by partycrasher

There are clandestine Lodges who do allow atheists but I don't know if the clandestine side has a Royal Arch body or how they run their ceremonies.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by partycrasher
How about a masonic lodge for ATHEISTS ??? since they don't believe in G-D they could use Jahbulon and still remain ATHEISTS. Or is freemasonry prejudiced against Atheism ??? Did not the progressive French permit atheists before ???

That would be a Swedish Lodge.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by DRAZIW

The Grand Lodge of Sweden actually does require their members to have a faith. The Grand Orient there does not.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by partycrasher

Of course Freemasons who are atheists of the continental Tradition could use the word and remain atheists. Freemasonry is not a religion nor a substitute for religion, each are allowed their own beliefs whatever they may be. Therefore, there is not a revelation of a Masonic G-d to a candidate, each interprets Freemasonry according to their own beliefs.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by DRAZIW

Actually, the Swedish Rite requires its candidates to be Christians. Most other Rites only require belief in God, without a sectarian Christian requirement.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light

Actually, the Swedish Rite requires its candidates to be Christians. Most other Rites only require belief in God, without a sectarian Christian requirement.

Actually, nothing stops a candidate from lying and pretending to believe in God, just so he can join the Lodge and find out all its secrets.

So, really, no one has to believe anything at all to be a Freemason.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Actually, nothing stops a candidate from lying and pretending to believe in God, just so he can join the Lodge and find out all its secrets.

who would be stupid enough to waste their time joining a lodge when there are webpages that reveal all the secrets? Or most anyways... You probably would.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by fordrew

who would be stupid enough to waste their time joining a lodge when there are webpages that reveal all the secrets? Or most anyways... You probably would.

A webpage can't initiate you.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

A webpage can't initiate you.

What you are (apparently) trying to say is that anyone can join a lodge and lie about their beliefs just to learn the secrets of freemasonry. Why lie and go through all that trouble when you can take 5 minutes to read all the secrets?

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I find the words that Gerald Ford used to describe Masonry interesting...

President Ford said of Masonry, “When I took my obligation as a master mason--incidentally, with my three younger brothers--I recalled the value my own father attached to that order. But I had no idea that I would ever be added to the company of the Father of our Country and 12 other members of the order who also served as Presidents of the United States.Masonic principles--internal, not external--and our order’s vision of duty to country and acceptance of God as a Supreme Being and guiding light have sustained me during my years of Government service. Today especially, the guidelines by which I strive to become an upright man in Masonry give me great personal strength. Masonic precepts can help America retain our inspiring aspirations while adapting to a new age. It is apparent to me that the Supreme Architect has set out the duties each of us has to perform, and I have trusted in His will with the knowledge that my trust is well-founded.

...It was almost 200 years ago, in the darkest days of our war for independence, that George Washington answered a question that is sometimes asked today. The question is whether things are as bad as some say. George Washington answered, and I quote: “We should never despair. Our situation before has been unpromising and has changed for the better, so I trust it will again. If new difficulties arise, we must only put forth new exertions and proportion our efforts to the exigency of the times.”

"Let us today rededicate ourselves to new efforts--as Masons and as Americans. Let us demonstrate our confidence in our beloved Nation and a future that will flow from the glory of the past. When I think of the things right about America, I think of this order with its sense of duty to country, its esteem for brotherhood and traditional values, its spiritual high principles, and its humble acceptance of God as the Supreme Being.”

President Ford spoke at the unveiling ceremony of the Gerald R. Ford Masonic Medallion at the George Washington Masonic National Memorial on February 17, 1975.

Source

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by relocator
I find it inspiring, myself. Any particular bits of it you want to discuss?

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by relocator

I had never heard that, but it is inspiring! I agree 100%. The principles Freemasonry are founded upon are the perfect principles to guide a person in their dealings with life. For a politician and elected leader to speak those words is even more important.

Too bad we don't have a Masonic candidate to step up and run for president these days.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by GoldenObserver
Well In That Case maybe no pictures will be scanned.

From what I've read, I found this particularly Interesting.
This is part of the Entered Apprentice.

"The Moveabe Jewels"
Are the Rough Ashler. The Perfect Ashler, and the Trestle Board.
The Rough Ashler is a stone as taken from the quarry in it's rude and natural state; the Perfect Ashler is a stone made ready by the hands of the Apprentice, to be adjusted by the working tools of the Fellow Craft; and the Trestle Board is for the Master Workman to draw his designs upon. By the Rough Ashler we are reminded of our rude and imperfect state by nature; by the Perfect Ashler, of that state of perfection which we hope to attain by a virtuous education, our own endeavors, and the blessings of God; and by the Trestle Board we are reminded that as the operative workman erects his temporal building agreeable to the rules and designs laid down by the Master on his Trestle Board, so should we, both operative and speculative, endeavor to erect out spiritual building agreeably to the rules and designs laid down by the Supreme Architect of the Universe, in the Great Book of Nature and of Revelation, which is our Spiritual, Moral, and Masonic Trestle Board.

There are also pictures accompanying the text beforehand, depicting (inside of a rectangle) carvings of steps, persian and victorian roofs, a box with an X in it, and a half sphere with a line shooting up and through the middle of it.

I really wonder if The Supreme Architect and God are the same to the Masons. Also, does anyone know exactly what "the Book of Nature" is?

IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

edit on Tue Jun 14 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: MOD NOTE: Posting work written by others

Some of the shapes you described are explained here (if no one has already explained them):

www.masonicdictionary.com...

Thanks for sharing!

Ribbit

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by relocator

President Ford said of Masonry, “When I took my obligation as a master mason--incidentally, with my three younger brothers--I recalled the value my own father attached to that order. But I had no idea that I would ever be added to the company of the Father of our Country and 12 other members of the order who also served as Presidents of the United States.Masonic principles--internal, not external--and our order’s vision of duty to country and acceptance of God as a Supreme Being and guiding light have sustained me during my years of Government service. Today especially, the guidelines by which I strive to become an upright man in Masonry give me great personal strength. Masonic precepts can help America retain our inspiring aspirations while adapting to a new age. It is apparent to me that the Supreme Architect has set out the duties each of us has to perform, and I have trusted in His will with the knowledge that my trust is well-founded.

...It was almost 200 years ago, in the darkest days of our war for independence, that George Washington answered a question that is sometimes asked today. The question is whether things are as bad as some say. George Washington answered, and I quote: “We should never despair. Our situation before has been unpromising and has changed for the better, so I trust it will again. If new difficulties arise, we must only put forth new exertions and proportion our efforts to the exigency of the times.”

"Let us today rededicate ourselves to new efforts--as Masons and as Americans. Let us demonstrate our confidence in our beloved Nation and a future that will flow from the glory of the past. When I think of the things right about America, I think of this order with its sense of duty to country, its esteem for brotherhood and traditional values, its spiritual high principles, and its humble acceptance of God as the Supreme Being.”

President Ford spoke at the unveiling ceremony of the Gerald R. Ford Masonic Medallion at the George Washington Masonic National Memorial on February 17, 1975.

Source

Here is GW's Apron:

media3.washingtonpost.com...

The things I note are 2 infinity symbols in the rope, one on each side, along with 7 drops of blood coming out of the skull & bones symbol and the star with the "G" in it is a 5-point star, kNot a 6-point, with 5 pine cone looking thingys in-between the points of the star and a 99 (the left one is a mirror inverted 9) at the center knot.

Any further interpretation will be appreciated.

Ribbit

Ps: I cannot confirm it is GW's apron. It is at the Memorial. Also, all pics of GW with his Apron on, isn't the same Apron shown, but that one is on display at the Memorial.
edit on 5-10-2011 by ButtUglyToad because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by DRAZIW

I believe a liar will never fully understand Freemasonry or our lessons/secrets.

Plus one who lies to get in, when caught, will be expelled. What kind of man lies like this to join a group? Such men have no honor or integrity.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

What you are (apparently) trying to say is that anyone can join a lodge and lie about their beliefs just to learn the secrets of freemasonry. Why lie and go through all that trouble when you can take 5 minutes to read all the secrets?

Well there are secrets that can be read.

Then there are secrets that cannot be read.

Finally, there are secrets that can be read, but only understood properly when initiated.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSigMason
reply to post by DRAZIW

I believe a liar will never fully understand Freemasonry or our lessons/secrets.

Plus one who lies to get in, when caught, will be expelled. What kind of man lies like this to join a group? Such men have no honor or integrity.

But Albert Pike admitted in writing that he lied. So, maybe he didn't really understand Freemasonry?

What honor is there to walk on the dark side?

edit on 5-10-2011 by DRAZIW because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   

But Albert Pike admitted in writing that he lied. So, maybe he didn't really understand Freemasonry?
No, actually. He said that meanings change with more context for understanding.

In the higher Degrees those only should be received who have sufficient reading and information to discuss the great questions of philosophy. From them the Orators of the Lodges should be selected, as well as those of the Councils and Chapters. They are charged to suggest such measures as are necessary to make Masonry entirely faithful to the spirit of its institution, both as to its charitable purposes, and the diffusion of light and knowledge; such as are needed to correct abuses that have crept in, and offences against the rules and general spirit of the Order; and such as will tend to make it, as it was meant to be, the great Teacher of Mankind.

Morals & Dogma, page 332

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20 >>

join