It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nebraska nuclear power plant at Emergency Level 4 and could become another Fukushima

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike

Originally posted by NEWclearMind
reply to post by Vitchilo

There is no "Emergency level 4". There are, however four categories of emergencies:
-unusual event
-alert
-site area emergency
-general emergency

The highest level EMERGENCY ACTION LEVEL that flooding will get you is alert. I am looking at the EAL Classification Matrix if you would like to google it, it may be online. I am at work right now, at a nuclear plant. I know what I'm talking about. I love how people love to sensationalize things.

Like I said, Gunderson is a retard.

Boy, the show of ignorance here by SirMike is just OUTSTANDING!
Located about 20 minutes outside downtown Omaha, the largest city in Nebraska, the Fort Calhoun Nuclear Plant is owned by Omaha Public Power District (OPPD) who on their website denies their plant is at a “Level 4” emergency by stating: “This terminology is not accurate, and is not how emergencies at nuclear power plants are classified.” Russian atomic scientists in this FAAE report, however, say that this OPPD statement is an “outright falsehood” as all nuclear plants in the world operate under the guidelines of the International Nuclear and Radiological Event Scale (INES) which clearly states the “events” occurring at the Fort Calhoun Nuclear Power Plant do, indeed, put it in the “Level 4” emergency category of an “accident with local consequences”
edit on 18-6-2011 by RoyalBlue because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by STONEcoleD
This is being blown up a bit too much...pardon my pun.

No, this should have been BLOWN UP years ago, before we got to this point! But all the sheeple believed the Nuclear Industry, the military complex, the lobbyists, and said, "OK, put the reactors in my back yard, my families' back yard, all over the world, Nuclear Energy is GOOD for us, there is NOTHING to fear. I'll even give you my tax dollars to do it!.......

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhjhkjkj

Blame the US?
In reaction to the Fukushima catastrophe, Germany is phasing out all of its nuclear reactors over the next decade. In a referendum vote this Monday, 95 per cent of Italians voted in favour of blocking a nuclear power revival in their country. A recent newspaper poll in Japan shows nearly three-quarters of respondents favour a phase-out of nuclear power in Japan. Why have alarms not been sounded about radiation exposure in the US? Nuclear operator Exelon Corporation has been among Barack Obama's biggest campaign donors, and is one of the largest employers in Illinois where Obama was senato

english.aljazeera.net...

Nuclear Leaks and Response Tested Obama in Senate

www.nytimes.com...

Look at Exelon's plans stated here in "Market Watch" to expand their Nuclear plans that they couldn't do before, until they just bought out a couple of other utility companies.....

Exelon Corp. EXC +0.51% agreed to buy Constellation Energy in a stock-for-stock deal valued at about $8 billion when announced in April. The deal could put Exelon, the largest operator of nuclear plants in the U.S., in a position to resuscitate some nuclear plans Constellation had abandoned because they were beyond its means.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by NEWclearMind
reply to post by QuietSpeech

I am glad there are people like you and WASCO2 in here. I would be the first one on here blowing the whistle if something went wrong. However, the utility or the NRC has nothing to gain from hiding information. If they lie, or falsify information, they can be shut down forever. That plant makes them about 2.4 million a day profit. The funding the NRC receives mostly comes from the utilities in the form of fines. And everyone in the industry knows every resident inspector wants to nail someone to the wall to make a name for themselves. Not only do we have the NRC to worry about, but also INPO. For those of you who don't know, INPO is like the mafia only worse. If they say it, most plants do it. They are the industry watchdog. They make us walk the line so much that you can't open the wrong door without someone noticing.

Please OP do some research and know what you are talking about before you go looking for stars and flags. As you can clearly see, my original comment about no level 4 is correct.

Hmm, Nuclear Industry schills all over the place today....................................

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I almost believe that the very reason Whole Milk has been banned from crossing State lines is because it would reveal that our Nuclear Technology has failed long ago.

I believe that the Japanese plants were already spewing out radiation long before the Earthquake, and that our own plants have been poisoning us all along!

This may be the biggest Conspiracy of the Century! And, now they purposely are flooding the Mighty Mississippi because???? Because they need a disaster to cover-up the Disaster! I bet someone was about ready to come forward with the Milk results!

We are all getting Milked! MOOOOOOO!

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by RoyalBlue

if your looking for info and research, check out my thread.....found some decent articles but im not posting them in here, not the crowd im looking for...www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Chickensalad

Thanks, ChickenSalad.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
A guy who lives in Omaha make video on June 16, 2011

Some site info ..

thetruthbehindthescenes.wordpress.com... se/
edit on 18-6-2011 by Dalke07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3
Watch the FULL STORY before you get all scared, thinking this is going to melt down. The power plant is shut down for refueling! (rolls eyes). Once again, here's the full story.

FULL STORY

edit on 15-6-2011 by navy_vet_stg3 because: OP posted the full article, and I skipped right over it.

you neglected of spent rods: they need to've continuous cooling too.
edit on 20-6-2011 by SarK0Y because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I want to provide some meaningful and yet serious adult type additional thoughts regarding this emergency situation, because while Arnie Gunderson has reported in a commendable manner, the lack of main stream media coverage of this situation warrants greater discussion among the alternative media sources to adequately understand the dangers from these recent flood water disclosures.

When I started reading about no fly zones and heard that nuclear reactors were in danger of being flooded by the Missouri River and the Mississippi river, it forced me to take a closer look at all the nuclear reactors along the river ways that lead to the Gulf of Mexico. That analysis while alarming forced me to re-think why the media has been so silent on the matter and why Obama has been involved as well with keeping information about this matter constrained to only the alternative media trying to piece the problem together enough to understand the impending dangers.

The serious impending dangers no one is discussing involve dangers for all the nuclear reactors effected, but for discussion sake, I will use the Ft Calhoun, Nebraska Nuclear Power Plant as an example of the dangers no one is discussing.

The Ft Calhoun site has spent rods that are radioactive that are stored just like in Japan to some measurable comparative similarity. While the plant itself was shut down, it is those rods that will serve as small example of what impending dangers stem from spent radioactive fuel rods.

In fact the nuclear sites contaminated water tanks could have been already discharged into the flood waters and this is why to begin such a discussion, I will stick to just fuel rods and contaminated waters to make my point.

All of the contaminated water, whether it be from coming in contact with the fuel rods or otherwise, is going down stream. Contaminated water will flow from Nebraska all the way to the Gulf of Mexico and will contaminate everything along the way to include the tributaries that stem from the main river sources.

Contaminated water will potentially kill off marine life and impact wild life for thousands of years while also contaminating drinking water sources and even perhaps contaminating the water aquifers along the way. With radioactive contaminated water, drinking water will kill anyone who drinks the contaminated waters and kill off wild life and marine life.

This contaminated water will also effect all humans, farm lands, major property structures and key infrastructure facilities along the way to the Gulf of Mexico. Such long term contamination of pastures, farm lands, cities and water sources would create a massive radioactive dead zone, that would have to be avoided in order not to succumb to the radioactive poisoning in the effected areas.

National roadways have already been shut down in some areas and reports of mandatory evacuations due to flood waters are already underway. Refugees and millions more could potentially never be allowed to return to their homes should radioactive contamination occur. It is this aspect of the negative effects of contaminated water that causes all this problem, so just remember, I did not discuss in any detail, nuclear melt downs and or poisonous radioactive clouds moving across the nation.

A shut down of our national roadways systems and long term truck routing disruptions will no doubt create food shortages and many other long term fuel and food supply issues that the main stream media is gagged from reporting on with any concern for the real issues that potentially plague the region and the citizens that live along the way from Nebraska to the Gulf of Mexico.

Perhaps the main stream media is forbidden to report on this story and perhaps they are forbidden to tell anyone that they are gagged is exactly why these matters and more must become the primary concern of the alternative media sources to spread the word and to inform those that have not thought about any of the serious concerns I have mentioned in this reply/comment.

By keeping these grave long term matters from the main stream media, it keeps Americans from asking any tough questions of our elected officials and the federal agencies that supposedly represent the best interests of Americans. It appears no one is willing to answer or discuss these issues and now perhaps you can understand why such a regional problem should be in all alternative media sources.

Even the great Alex Jones has not touched this subject and that is why it appears the gag order is for all main stream media or FCC controlled media outlets or some other Federal memo which AJ might have to adhere to as a business. I will give him the benefit of the doubt for the time being, but his lack of reporting does not change the dangers inherent in this concern.

Discussing in greater detail what will happen to the millions of displaced citizens and all the contaminated farm lands, property and waters is serious news worthy material and so, I for one hope that ATS and other sites will see that these issues are not some flash in the pan concern from some conspiracy nut.

It is of course dangerous news coverage material, so I am in no way deluded by what grave matters are potentially going to occur in reporting on this matter. It should however be a moral imperative in my opinion to inform the public about these issues and concerns, because to keep this information from those that could be long term effected is a crime against humanity and a distinct sign that the safety of Americans is just a empty platitude used by elected officials to retain their status in life.

Do some additional research and anyone will find that my concerns and more are all plausible, and so I ask in closing for everyone to force these issues to the front of the public view by discussing and demanding questions of those that supposedly represent us.

Reporting on these matters is going to be a long term responsibility and since the MSM is dead to the needs of the nation, it is the duty of alternative media to step up and do what needs to be done. Report the truth and inform the public of what that truth means in real terms. That is what I hope to generate from this reply. I thank you in advance for taking the time to consider these concerns.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Flooding Brings Worries Over Two Nuclear Plants

theintelhub.com...
edit on 22-6-2011 by Dalke07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Although I agree, what it isn't Fukushima, well yet anyway, but one would think its still news worthy don't you think ?! But not a word about it on any news channel, except Russia Today (RT). You have to agree, what it is a bit strange and something is up.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by RoyalBlue
Boy, the show of ignorance here by SirMike is just OUTSTANDING!
Located about 20 minutes outside downtown Omaha, the largest city in Nebraska, the Fort Calhoun Nuclear Plant is owned by Omaha Public Power District (OPPD) who on their website denies their plant is at a “Level 4” emergency by stating: “This terminology is not accurate, and is not how emergencies at nuclear power plants are classified.” Russian atomic scientists in this FAAE report, however, say that this OPPD statement is an “outright falsehood” as all nuclear plants in the world operate under the guidelines of the International Nuclear and Radiological Event Scale (INES) which clearly states the “events” occurring at the Fort Calhoun Nuclear Power Plant do, indeed, put it in the “Level 4” emergency category of an “accident with local consequences”

Argh .... let me break this down for you.

The IAEA has a scale by which they classify a nuclear accident, an accident being defined by the unintentional release of radiological material. This classification scheme is known as the International Nuclear Event Scale.

An IAEA “Level 4” Accident is defined as follows

Impact on people and environment

Minor release of radioactive material unlikely to result in implementation of planned countermeasures other than local food controls.
At least one death from radiation.

Impact on radiological barriers and control

Fuel melt or damage to fuel ¬resulting in more than 0.1% release of core inventory. Release of significant quantities of radioactive material within an installation with a high ¬probability of significant public exposure.

Based on what you see above, it should be clear that there isn’t a “Level 4” Accident at Ft Calhoun nuclear.

Now the NRC also has a classification that covers conditions ranging from a full scale emergency (the most severe) to a “Notification of Unusual Event” (the least sever)

A Notification of Unusual Event is defined by the NRC as follows: Under this category, events are in process or have occurred which indicate potential degradation in the level of safety of the plant. No release of radioactive material requiring offsite response or monitoring is expected unless further degradation occurs.

So yes, Arnie Gunderson is still a reatard and you shouldnt conflate two spearate classifications systems.

edit on 22-6-2011 by SirMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Dalke07

LOLZ, that was funny ... I didnt know Thom Hartman worked for the Onion News Network.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I admit I haven't done a lot of in depth research on this subject but I caught this speech on cspan this morning and thought it might be helpful to those looking for info on this. The Air Force Base has been asked to provide assistance to the community. Nuclear mention in the area was non existent.
There are 2 videos and about 2 minutes missing from the clips but I am pretty sure he didn't mention it while I was changing my batteries.
Pt 1

Pt 2 [Air Force request]

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by RoyalBlue

Not a nuclear industry shill. Not a mindless tree hugger either. Bottom line is we NEED nuclear power. But beyond that nuclear power is the cleanest, safest, and potentially cheapest way we have to generate electricity. And in case you haven't noticed, our civilization would grind to a halt without cheap, reliable, and plentiful electricity. Don't blather to me about solar and wind energy either. They don't work well enough, and will NEVER work well enough, to ever provide any significant amount of our energy needs. Right now, in the US, most of our electricity comes from coal fired generating plants. A coal plant is orders of magnitude dirtier and more dangerous than modern nuke plants. What we need to be doing is building breeder reactors like there's no tomorrow because without them there may not be a tomorrow. A breeder reactor consumes it's own fuel leaving only a very small amount of admittedly very toxic waste. For the waste that's left the fed.gov needs to reopen and finish Yucca Mnt. and tell you, and all other tree huggers, to take a flying leap.

I doubt we'll do it yet. When a large enough percentage of the population is subjected to rolling blackouts and forced to choose between buying food or enough exorbitantly expensive energy to keep the lights on we might consider it. I just hope by then it's not too late.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MaxBlack

The Ft Calhoun site has spent rods that are radioactive that are stored just like in Japan to some measurable comparative similarity. While the plant itself was shut down, it is those rods that will serve as small example of what impending dangers stem from spent radioactive fuel rods.

yeah, you're helliciously right. plants were developed & operated in manner of delayed bombs: plants cannot be shut down by passive schemes (without electricity), they need long period to cool reactors... Ohhh, what i've been talking about??!!! Actually, these f*cking things cannot be stopped at all due to pools of spent rods. Just for fasty buckies, purely-suicidal projects have been realized!

edit on 23-6-2011 by SarK0Y because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by wasco2

yep, nuclear techs must not be thrown away, but when prime parameter for chosen scheme is good capitalization, Nothing will be good there.

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join