Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Nebraska nuclear power plant at Emergency Level 4 and could become another Fukushima

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by POPtheKlEEN89

Army? Corp of Engineers?
lol Haven't you heard? They don't screw up or make mistakes, you do!

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Great fear mongering.. Only # websites are reporting that this is going.. Even local news in Nebraska hasn't said anything like what you just posted. Also this has already been posted..

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
are you kidding me...? that's like nothing compared to what hit fukushima and it can cause this much trouble? what are they made out of? playdo? :/

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Watch the FULL STORY before you get all scared, thinking this is going to melt down. The power plant is shut down for refueling! (rolls eyes). Once again, here's the full story.

FULL STORY

edit on 15-6-2011 by navy_vet_stg3 because: OP posted the full article, and I skipped right over it.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

There is no "Emergency level 4". There are, however four categories of emergencies:
-unusual event
-alert
-site area emergency
-general emergency

The highest level EMERGENCY ACTION LEVEL that flooding will get you is alert. I am looking at the EAL Classification Matrix if you would like to google it, it may be online. I am at work right now, at a nuclear plant. I know what I'm talking about. I love how people love to sensationalize things.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
A couple of things here . Since Enron it is against the law unless it's an emergency to shut down any power plant between Memorial Day and Labor Day. They generally shut down in the spring or fall for re fueling I'm thinking with the flooding they may have extended the shutdown but that would have to be approved by the government.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by NEWclearMind

There is no "Emergency level 4". There are, however four categories of emergencies:
-unusual event
-alert
-site area emergency
-general emergency

The highest level EMERGENCY ACTION LEVEL that flooding will get you is alert. I am looking at the EAL Classification Matrix if you would like to google it, it may be online. I am at work right now, at a nuclear plant. I know what I'm talking about. I love how people love to sensationalize things.

Like I said, Gunderson is a retard.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Home owners and farmers did this to protect a house... but no resources to do this to something as important as a nuclear power plant huh?

www.dailymail.co.uk...
edit on 6/15/11 by Cyprex because: error

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Just wonderful, this is in my neck of the woods, close enough for evac if it came to that. Where is a safe form of energy when we need it? Oh thats right TPTB are waiting for something like this they can use against us.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3
Watch the FULL STORY before you get all scared, thinking this is going to melt down. The power plant is shut down for refueling! (rolls eyes). Once again, here's the full story.

FULL STORY

edit on 15-6-2011 by navy_vet_stg3 because: OP posted the full article, and I skipped right over it.

well, nvm that last post after reading the rest of the article.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
What happens when the Sun finally blasts the you-know-what out of our electrical grid? You think they can keep themselves powered up by their own power when the transformers are blown? An outage is one thing but when the very parts that are required cannot hold current then we are literally...done! Well-done!

OK Jesus to the Rescue!

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Found this.

From the air the nuclear plant looks like it is about to be swallowed up by the Missouri River but on the ground you can see that man is controlling nature, or at least keeping her in check. OPPD spokesman Jeff Hanson says, "We're protected far above where this is projected to go." It helps that the facility was built to withstand a 500-year flood event and Hanson says there are feet of protection between the Missouri and the important structures on site. That was before the aqua dams were put in place. Hanson says the plant has plans and procedures in place and practice flood defense. The aqua dams add another layer of protection from flooding. Jeff Hanson says, "Protecting the vital assets we have sandbagged and placed earthen berms around the substations which guarantees the power can get into the plant to keep the plant powered." The facility was taken offline to refuel earlier this year so the containment building has been flooded by OPPD in order to cool the fuel rods. Hanson adds they have a number of backup systems in place to continue to pump clean water through the spent fuel pool and into the reactor containment building so he says there is nothing to fear.

Ft. Calhoun Flood Defenses

Can we believe what this Omaha Public Power District plant spokesman says? Is he blissfully unaware?
Or it's just a non issue? Star and Flag.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by C21H30O2I

Having been through a flood years ago I can say that the sand bags don't do anything but slow it down and allow seepage prior to the flooding, they can buy time but thats about it.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Cyprex

I have just spent the longest time checking out the pictures in your link, I am just floored by them. Please do a thread and post them all for everyone to view, they really are so damning and revealing about the people affected by this tragedy.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I live in Iowa...about 2 hours drive east of Omaha....this is the first I've heard about this! Thats not right!!

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   

I kept telling everyone twenty years back nuclear energy was not a wise decision...........but nobody listens to me.

Upgrade to Flash Player 10 for improved playback performance. Upgrade Now or More Info. close
671 views Like Add toShare Loading... This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.
Uploaded by makethemaccountable on Jun 12, 2011

"Five O'Clock Shadow" with Robert Knight and Arnie Gundersen from Fairewinds Associates.

Fire knocks out spent fuel cooling at nuclear plant near Omaha — Operating under heightened alert level because of nearby flooding on Missouri River.

enenews.com...

On June 6, 2011, the Fort Calhoun pressurized water nuclear reactor 20 miles north of Omaha, Nebraska entered emergency status due to imminent flooding from the Missouri River. A day later, there was an electrical fire requiring plant evacuation. Then, on June 8th, NRC event reports confirmed the fire resulted in the loss of cooling for the reactor's spent fuel pool.

The discussion includes specific details of the technical failures at Fort Calhoun, the risks of coolant loss at overcrowded "spent" fuel pools, and the national hazards of nuclear facilities along the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers, and other water sites during the current period of floods and climate change.

Maybe it's age, I'm approaching 60.

Stuff that didn't bother me at 20-30-40 and even 50 now just makes me cringe.

The S is HTF big time................The nuclear melt down on 3 reactors in Japan, tsunamis, hurricanes (ya all forget about Katrina too?), the oil gusher that has polluted the Gulf (ya all forgot about that already?), the CorExit they poured on top of that, the quakes, the tornados, etc.

Now when I go to turn on the news, I tell my dog, let's see how the world's going to hell in a hand basket today.

It just seems that there is no let up.........this roller coaster ride is just not slowing down.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Cyprex

Beautiful home.............now they have their very own island.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by aceto

No our news media will report on what stars are divorcing and breaking up, who is bedding down with who but a nuclear power plant that has been flooded is ignored.............come on the opening post was given a star by me.

And should have been reported on CNN..................I might have missed it as I'm cleaning house during commercials today, but I didn't see major network news covering this.

Would think this would be more news worthy than the usual frap used to distract and dumb us down.

I'm no nuclear physists, yet even I know that a flood and fire in a nuclear plant is not good.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by brill

Totally agree, this isn't like Japan but never the less it's not a good thing. Nebraska is two states away from me so I'm not real happy right now.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by navy_vet_stg3

Okay, thank you for calming down a little old lady.

Everything is fine, everything is under control and we don't have anything to worry about right?

Good, one less thing to worry about.

Thanks again.

Now, are we really getting the full story???? That's the main question. We all know our news media only reports what they are told to report and many times not panicing the public takes presidence over real information.
edit on 15-6-2011 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join