It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alice: Madness returns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Did anyone else pick up Alice Madness returns today? I traded in some games at Gamestop so it cost under $10 which is good, I can't see spending $60 on a video game. It lives up to my memories of the original American McGee's Alice. I like the color combos and light effects with the vorpal blade, the pepper grinder is pretty fun too, not thrilled on the bunny/hatter bomb. Granted I've walked on air and there have been some choppy hair graphics it's still a fun game to play.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I have great memories of the original. It really stood out as something different for the time it came out. I have been curious about the new one. I was afraid it would not really have the same mood and tone. What I really enjoyed about the original was the atmosphere of it. I have yet to get this new one but I am eager to at least try it out. Since you say you were fond of the original, I will be curious to see how you feel about this one after you have played it more.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I never played the first.
Although this looks nice and twisted I read a review that said it is incredibly repetitive repetitive.

What would you say is the target audience?

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Chukkles

People who played the first one.

The first one was actually pretty good, not sure about this though.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Chukkles

It can be...there aren't too many hidden bits, I keep trying to explore and find a secret area but generally if you have to shrink to get through a keyhole or find a hidden keyhole you can go into shrunken/drunken mode (she somewhat does a drunk hiccup and your vision blurs if you stay tiny too long) and it most of the time there are markers in it's blacklight looking view. in it so it's a little predictable.

Also it doesn't always have save points where you'd expect them....if you fall of an edge and die you might regenerate/start over from very near where you died but if you die from getting killed by an enemy you might end up at the beginning of that section. I'm still only in chapter 1 but think I am close to finishing it as soon as I get the mad hatter his legs. It's not as much of a button masher because you really do need to dodge and aim in some of the fights. The pepper grinder can get a bit annoying because it only shoots for so long, a few seconds, and then it has to recharge for a few seconds which can be inconvenient.

Still the shrunken mode looks cool, I've loved the idea of wonderland so I have a bit of fondness even through some of the flaws. I'm happy it's not just a shooter or a war game but personally I wouldn't pay full price for it, that why I made sure to have some games to trade in so I wouldn't feel dissapointed in the game. I'm hoping to earn the outfits they posted on facebook facebook

Target audience I'd guess would be teen-adult. It could be darker and it could be bloodier but that might increase later in the game.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by kittendaydreamer

I've been wanting to get this one. I was pretty much sold after I saw the trailer at E3.

I kept imagining myself smoking some green and playing this lol. It looks trippy as f**** =D

But from what I gathered you're recommending this game ?
edit on 16-6-2011 by ZikhaN because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ZikhaN

Yeah I like it, and I might get it as a present for my little sister too. Some of the game environments are very pretty especially in ch. 2 the underwater part. Alice's dress changes to an anglerfish (the one with the glowy dangly thing?) design which is very interesting.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
My only complaint on this game is well, the whole creepy psychologist business where he sell kids for the metropolises "appetites". Even Alice herself admits to being raised in a prostitute training ground. I'm very surprised people aren't talking about that as much as they talked about violence when mortal kombat and doom where released. Now usually I'm not one for censorship of games. But a game where the major plot-turn is pedofilia seems like something abit too messed up to me.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I cannot wait to get my hands on this. I remember the first one so fondly, the eeriness was amazing and I'm hoping the same for this one

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
My Stepson rented it and bought it up for me to have a play. Can't wait to buy it now.
Never played the first one unfortunately.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria
My Stepson rented it and bought it up for me to have a play. Can't wait to buy it now.
Never played the first one unfortunately.

You have to get your hands on it, it's honestly amazing.

new topics

top topics

join