It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So you pay for cable television...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
You pay for cable television and you want to watch one of your favorite shows and what do you get?

Let's say it's an hour show... Are you really getting an hour of show? NO!

You get a show that is about 42 minutes long, and you get 18 minutes of commercials. You're paying for ads! It's like paying for a magazine and every other page is an advertisement. That is crazy!

So what do you do? If you're like me, you turn to the internet and download you favorite shows. But then the "man" comes along and says,"NO,NO,NO!" You get a nasty email from your internet service provider saying if you keep it up, you'll be cut off of their web service, and maybe worse could happen...

I got a nasty email today telling me to stop, or I'll be cut off...

Why don't the networks release their own torrents of shows they produce (with ads of course)??? Why don't they get with the times instead of fighting with everyone??? Why do they insist in trying to shut down the modern day printing press that is the internet???

Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone feel the same way?

Cable companies GROW UP!!!

When the winds of change come, you can run inside, or you can build a windmill.
edit on 14-6-2011 by JJDoggie84 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-6-2011 by JJDoggie84 because: retardation

edit on 14-6-2011 by JJDoggie84 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Why do you pay for garbage you can get for free? 95% of programming on TV is just spew. It is worthless mind numbing trash. Why do you pay to poison your mind and soul???????

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

That's what I'm saying... I was getting it for free, but then the nasty email... It is all spew, but I like my 2-3 shows...

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by JJDoggie84

We don't have cable, we refuse to pay the MAN!
No seriously, why bother when you have the internet anyway. Don't download just watch.
edit on 14-6-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Agreed. I pay $115 a month for internet that doesnt get used... And cable, which I only watch 1 show mostley..
But the cartoon channels keep the kids quite a bit..

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Come on now. It's not as bad as all that. There are some enjoyable shows, and as long as you're independent-minded they won't turn your brain to rot.

I keep the TV on about 75% of the time I'm at home, even when I'm on ATS. I usually have the sound way low, so that I can listen or not listen. And I have the advantage of being able to think critically about what's on. I've found that the now highly developed filter in my brain even renders the commercials completely ineffective. The methods of manipulation they use are even fun to watch, when you can see what they're up to.

My wife won't let me watch mainstream news, though. She's afraid I may have an apoplectic fit and swallow my tongue and die....

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2

I've found that the now highly developed filter in my brain even renders the commercials completely ineffective. The methods of manipulation they use are even fun to watch, when you can see what they're up to.

My wife won't let me watch mainstream news, though. She's afraid I may have an apoplectic fit and swallow my tongue and die....

That gave me a good laugh! Yeah some shows aren't that bad, but you're still paying for ads

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Paying for commercials ticks me off too, so I subscribed to a couple of non-commercial movie channels. The first movie network gives me 15 different channels, the other one gives me10. But guess what? I'm lucky if they show 1 or 2 new movies per week on all of them combined! All there are is a bunch of movies that were new a couple of years ago! A lot of them are way older than that. If I wouldn't have to listen to the family grumble so much I would just get rid of all of it!

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I haven't had cable/satellite tv for about a year now. It is a waste of money.

I was annoyed when i realised that every month, I was paying for the same set of prog/films/whatever, that I had paid to watch the previous months. They were the exact same progs but shown at different times. I asked myself 'why am I paying to watch the same drivel that I had paid to watch last month, and the month before that?' What a maroon!

I canceled it - it wasn't worth the money and still isn't.

The good ole t'internet is all I need

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

But what do you do when the MAN says you can't download anymore? I guess it's back to the cable plantation for me

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I download lots of tv and movies from the net, but have not received a warning yet. I think this is the wave of the future and the cable companies (like DVD stores) will have to update their business model or be gone.

The internet providers in Canada, however, are trying to get us to pay "extra" for excessive downloading--so just another way to skin the cat. They probably see an opportunity and are trying to cash in. So far, their has been a great public back lash and not a lot of support from politicians.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
ROKU....

really people....

google it...

just got one for the wife...

she loves it....

79 bucks and no more cable bill....

sweet...

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
netflix + torrent = just an internet bill plus my 7.50 for netflix.

Cable TV is so 1990s.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   

I use Time Warner Cable, for fast Ethernet, Telephone with 24/7 free long distance, and cable TV with DVR. I can download anything I want to, and Time Warner does not care, for they do not watch everything I do. Of course, with my knowledge of computers, and the use of strong firewalls and proxys, it would be difficult for even the FBI to watch my internet use. I take it you use Windows and IE? I use Linux and Firefox, with many security extensions, plus a proxy called Autoproxy, and a proxy on my computer itself.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
2 1/2 years t.v. free. Although I spend on books what I would pay a cable company., its worth it.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Between all the other ways to be able to watch shows, minus commercials, I choose them. You can find a lot of stuff for free(and I'm not even talking torrents but other options), that are of good quality, even down to be on some of the channel's sites.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by JJDoggie84

That's what I'm saying... I was getting it for free, but then the nasty email... It is all spew, but I like my 2-3 shows...

Don't reply to it.

If you do you are a sucker and they know they can get more money out of you.

Keep downloading the shows that you have been - because remember, you didn't get the email.

And should someone call you, act all offended at their 'slander'. You don't know what they are referring to, but you know they are slandering you, etc. Eventually they'll move on to easier prey (e.g suckers who answer the scary email)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

I use Firefox with TOR but I use vuze for my torrents without any protection... That nasty email even knew the hashes on the torrents

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   

use utor, put encryption on and then get peer-guardian.much more safer, oh and stay away from some of those public trackers most are infested with virus or watched by *the man*

new topics

top topics

join