It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The Jewish Voice": Father's Day page focuses on the Bush and Rupert dynasties.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
It is good to respect all traditions and honor an archetypal figure, such as the "father".
However, I wanted to share something quite troubling.
Of course, a lot more could be shared on the gendered marketing of this day, from many perspectives.

It is a Father's Day advert that celebrates warmongers, and the biggest tobacco and booze pushers in history that caught my interest.
In fact, it so blatant that I first thought it was a joke.
It seems to normalize deadly products with "fathers", or masculinity.

Here is the article: www.sajewishreport.co.za...
I saw it in a free newspaper that I usually quite enjoy: The South African Jewish Report (Friday, 10 June 2011, vol 15: no. 21, p. 13).

I'm not sure the article by Barry Bilewitz has anything to do with the rest of the paper, but the pictures of the Bush fathers, and the histories of Anton and Johann Rupert seem like a strange thing to mention in a Father's Day article.
Tobacco and addiction is hardly something fathers and sons want to promote to each other.
Considering that 125 South Africans die of smoking-related diseases every day, it is downright shocking!
edit on 14-6-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
The history of Anton Rupert, and his son Johann Rupert (from the above article):

Anton Edward Rupert was one of the great entrepreneurs of South Africa. He dropped out of university due to a lack of funds and started a dry cleaning business. His extraordinary marketing eye soon caused him to change his career and with a loan of £10 he began producing cigarettes in his garage.
This venture grew into one of the biggest luxury and branded goods conglomerates in the world.
Johann Rupert is continuing the tradition created by his father in business, conservation and philanthropy. He started his career as a banker, working in New York for Chase Manhattan and Lazard Freres. Back home he headed the international arm of Rand Merchant
Bank.
Upon joining the Rembrandt Group, he began to diversify from the group’s base in alcohol and tobacco by forming Compagnie Financière Richemont in Switzerland, the umbrella of brands like Alfred Dunhill, Cartier, Montblanc, to name a few. Today, the Rupert conglomerates Remgro and Richemont of which Johann Rupert is chairman and CEO respectively, have annual sales of over $10 billion.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I can appreciate that the Ruperts' were a successful pair of a father and son.

What I do not understand is how mass killers and legal drug-dealers are serenaded and held up as examples.

It goes against everything one hears about alcohol, nicotine and other drugs every day.

How is this possible?

Please, somebody enlighten me!

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Who knows - perhaps one day we will celebrate the biggest heroin and coc aine dealers too?
Or am I misreading it all?

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Maybe because the societal norms of their day were different than they are today, and that no matter what, they still established themselves as leaders of their industries?

I mean, if you're going to go there, ask the same questions of why someone like Abraham in the Judaic and Christian religions is so venerated, when, in the end, he was just a guy who heard voices and tried to kill off his son?

I mean, if I were to say today that the "voice of god" told me to kill my son on a rock, you'd tell me to seek out help immediately. But when we look back in history, that guy Abraham was super-duper holy and the founder of 3 religions that rule the world today.

Same difference, really.

The same questions you're asking could be said of most things in the psychopathic world we live in today.
edit on 14-6-2011 by Jomina because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Jomina

Good points, and of course one could argue that they provided "consumer products".
It's not like they were rammed down anyone's throat.

But still, I haven't heard these addictive products mentioned in a positive light for a long time ...
But here it celebrates them.
It was very strange.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Johann Rupert pontificates at Stellenbosch University.
I think he's trying to say that not every university is equally good at everything (as if that wasn't quite obvious):

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
It appears that both the companies and the positions of the men involved point towards an Illuminati article, that celebrates an organization or brotherhood, and therefore seems vastly out of touch with normal marketing.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Interesting, note his reference to KWV (SA wine and brandy conglomerate):
www.kwv.co.za...

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Is this true on George W. Bush?
Was he ever a fighter pilot?

Perhaps the closest emulator of his father is George Walker Bush. He followed in his father George Herbert Walker Bush’s footsteps by becoming a fighter pilot, going to Yale, becoming president of the United States and going to war with Iraq.

www.sajewishreport.co.za...

Didn't the grandfather, Prescott Bush, finance the Nazis?

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Fair enough that morality concerning big alcohol and tobacco has changed over the decades.

Still, I feel it's a strange article, and it's not clear how far it is a paid advert or an article.
It goes to the very top of dynasties in the conspiracy field without realizing any of the moral concerns that people have about the Bush history or the (more locally known) Ruperts.

Since "The Jewish Report" is a free paper (actually meaning that it's sponsored by somebody) I normally wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, especially with its great book and entertainment reviews.

These are not religious "father" figures, but some kind of political in-group.
I'm still very baffled, and wondering for whom this is meant.

I'm still trying to find out whether George W. Bush ever became a fighter pilot?

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Interesting: Our first democratic Health Minister, Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma was the first to take on the Ruperts and big tobacco in South Africa. en.wikipedia.org...
During apartheid it seems that big tobacco lay at the heart of the (CIA directed) system, and it's perhaps no wonder that smoking was encouraged in the white conscripted army from a young age.
Soldier weren't forced to smoke, but people reported all kinds of underhand pressures to encourage it in an already stressed environment (such as making soldiers who didn't take smoke breaks do extra exercises instead).
Whatever her faults (before President Mbeki began his Aids denialism, and redeployed her to Foreign Affairs) a lot of people feel the ban on smoking in most public places was a good thing in hindsight.

Lesley Lawson writes:

Zuma's concern to strengthen the anti-smoking legislation hit at the heart of Afrikaner capital. For decades there has been a close relationship between the tobacco industry and the Afrikaner nationalist government. Tobacco giant Anton Rupert had provided massive financial and political support to the National Party, and in exchange there has been almost no control over the tobacco industry until 1993. Under the old dispensation, taxes and cigarette prices had fallen, and cigarette consumption had risen steadily for three decades. ... The conflict with tobacco barons heated up when word went out that Zuma was planning to ban cigarette advertising altogether. In response, Rupert took out a full-page advertisement in the largest circulation Sunday newspaper criticizing the minister.

Source: Lesley Lawson: Side Effects: The story of AIDS in South Africa. Double Storey, Cape Town: 2008. P.90.

To me, this "advert" (and how it normalizes the barons), and virtually writes a hagiography of some dodgy characters, brings a number of connections into a stark focus.
edit on 17-6-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join