It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China about to Kick off?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Vietnam holds live-fire exercises as territorial dispute with China escalates

Guardian China has warned other countries not to become involved in an escalating sea border dispute with Vietnam that reflects concern over Beijing's increasing international power and confidence. Experts say the stand-off between China and Vietnam - two of the six powers laying claim to a number of islands and their surrounding waters in the South China Sea - is the worst for more than two decades. Vietnam held live-fire exercises off its coast on Monday, in what analysts said was a response without precedent.

It looks like China might be about to kick off and I don't think even Nato has the balls to say anything. Especially with a warning like this from china.

Guardian

edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Awesome! So when will Barry Obama call a no fly zone over there?

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
its pretty safe to say the us will never get involved with vietnam ever agian.

china has one thing going for it if it comes to a war with vietnam

no liberals.

its a safe bet china will come out on top if it does come to war between them

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by balon0
Awesome! So when will Barry Obama call a no fly zone over there?

To be honest I don't think Obama will do anything except maybe make a public announcement of disappointment at the most. China doesn't stop the US and UK being tyrannical so the US will do the same.

Certain privileges come with having power. I don't think NATO want to be ruffling China's feathers right now.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Eh . . . keep in mind that the media loves drama. Whenever I read an article concerning any country other than my own I make an effort to check out the story from said country's perspective. This is what China has to say about the issue, for example:

China firmly opposes attempts to internationalize the South China Sea issue, which should only be resolved bilaterally through friendly consultations between parties involved, said an opinion article published Tuesday by the Liberation Army Daily.

and

"Only with sincerity and patience and through direct consultations by the parties involved can an appropriate solution to the dispute be found," the article read.

China Daily

China doesn't really do things the way we do (though our western media seems to always expect them to).

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
They have BEEN about"to kick off"...that entire culture is on a hair trigger

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Really?

South China Sea: Hanoi and Washington to hold joint naval drill

Vietnam will hold joint naval drills with the United States next month, a move that could further stoke tensions with China over the South China Sea. Meanwhile, Vietnamese Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung issued a decree about a potential military call-up, which outlines who would be exempt from the draft in case of war. Vietnam’s last war was with China in 1979.

Confirmation of the exercises came as Hanoi completed a live-fire exercise off its central coast last night, deemed routine by the Vietnamese but denounced by Chinese analysts as a provocation and a show of force.

Ji Qiufeng, a professor at Nanjing University's school of foreign relations, said Beijing needs to make it clear to Vietnam that “any challenge to China's sovereignty over the South China Sea cannot succeed”.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

thanks man my common sense failed me considering the history of the us and vietnam most people never saw that one coming.

but i remeber those same people aiding and abetting the viet cong during the war are the same people in power of this country today.

wow man just wow.

its just like a decade of war fighting terrorism and 3 years later we are aiding them.

i hate my country.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Excelent find!

Thanks much for posting this, i will be keeping my eyes on this, hoping things dont escalate. I believe we will see more and more of this in the future as a rising China flexes its muscles, both politically and militarily.

There is a new big boy on the block!

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

Vietnam actually asked the US for help a couple of days ago. I think we told them, "No thanks, had that cup of coffee before and don't want it refilled."

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

china has one thing going for it if it comes to a war with vietnam

no liberals.

its a safe bet china will come out on top if it does come to war between them

Need to read up on your history before you make statements like that. China could certainly dominate the sea and even occupy Vietnam but unless they are prepared to camp there for the next 20 years they will have a tough time winning a war there.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

really now the worlds largest airforce and the worlds largest standing army and trillions in yuan and resources abound.

china would win quite easily that is if they want to

with billions of mouths to feed war is the best population control measure ever devised even a war of attrition china would win.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

reply to post by kro32

really now the worlds largest airforce and the worlds largest standing army and trillions in yuan and resources abound.

china would win quite easily that is if they want to

with billions of mouths to feed war is the best population control measure ever devised even a war of attrition china would win.

America couldn't and the French couldn't. You have to understand the nature of warfare in that region as it's quite unique. The amount of effort it would take to control that country is not something I think any nation has the desire for.

Some thing in warfare you just don't do. Marching on moscow during winter is a mistake and so is trying to occupy Vietnam.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

we won the battles in vietnam and if it wasnt for the left and johnson dictating americas actions in vietnam

the public opinion was we lost when we didnt.

facts dont matter the perception of them does.

just like people say we lost in iraq when we didnt bush lost iraq obama won iraq.

the political component of war never forget that.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

reply to post by kro32

we won the battles in vietnam and if it wasnt for the left and johnson dictating americas actions in vietnam

the public opinion was we lost when we didnt.

facts dont matter the perception of them does.

just like people say we lost in iraq when we didnt bush lost iraq obama won iraq.

the political component of war never forget that.

We may have won the battles but we were nowhere near close to winning the war. When they pulled off the Tet offensive we were no where closer than when we started. Even the biggest bombing campaign in U.S. history on them did nothing but destroy alot of trees.

Nothing short of killing off their population would have given us victory over there.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

hardly selective bombing

changing the rules of engagment time and time agian.

the viet cong knew we could obliterate them but they banked of the poltical system of america at the time

and they still count on the political system.

theres more to war thesedays than just military action and that is politics.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   

reply to post by kro32

hardly selective bombing

the viet cong knew we could obliterate them but they banked of the poltical system of america at the time

Too true, War is fought on many fronts, on the front line, political, economic, through the media with propaganda manipulating public opinion.

People always seem to forget these.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Last time China went there, as enemies,,,their forward lines disappeared ,, and were never heard from again,,,, China stopped.

That's Vietnam.

Me.

And why is Ho fighting against Mao? curious. contract up?
edit on 14-6-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

reply to post by kro32

hardly selective bombing

Couldn't agree with you more. But putting everything aside other than just the military aspect in Vietnam, America was not winning which is why they were able to hit every secure location they chose during the Tet offensive. They were still running supplies and troops to the south and America had no secure foothold anywhere that wasn't within their reach.

The specific bombing of the Ho Chi Minh trail did little to affect the supplies coming south and America had no real plan of what to do. If China starts a conflict with Vietnam I do not see them making the mistakes of country's in the past by trying to occupy. They will take and secure the islands but leave the mainland alone as Vietnam has really no way to do anything to them out there.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

"They will take and secure the islands but leave the mainland alone as Vietnam has really no way to do anything to them out there. "
unquote

Ya ,,,that's what their doing now,, only more forcefully,, and Vietnam is saying ,,SHOVE OFF,,,

Simple.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join