It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Jobs council to Obama: Here's how to create one million jobs quickly

page: 1
11
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
It looks like thee are some possibilities for Obama to take action to create more jobs without congress getting involved. This is something that needs to be done, because all evidence seems to indicate that Congress is only concerned with destroying the U.S. economy and the middle class and working class, since repubs have taken over.

www.csmonitor.com...


RECOMMENDED: US job market: Four ways to cut the unemployment rate

Obama didn't offer any major policy announcements after meeting Monday with his Council on Jobs and Competitiveness in Durham, N.C. But the council's proposals include:

• Form business partnerships with community colleges to train more workers for today's open jobs.

• Streamline permitting processes to speed more construction projects. Council members Jeff Immelt of General Electric and Ken Chenault of American Express said some simple steps could achieve this goal "without undercutting the protections that our regulatory system provides."

• Make it easier for foreign tourists to obtain visas to travel to the US.

• Help small employers get more loans with help from the Small Business Administration.

• Help construction workers pick up their tools again with a campaign to upgrade commercial and government buildings for energy efficiency. Obama also touted this so-called Better Buildings Initiative Monday while visiting Cree, a maker of energy-efficient lighting in Durham, after the jobs council meeting.


These sound like good ideas, and it looks like Obama is going to follow those recommendations.

washingtonexaminer.com...

www.thestreet.com...

This is the kind of news I like to read.




posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
How to create millions of jobs quickly---make everyone who is on welfare manufacture electronics in a factory.Give out the electronics free to all american citizens.This creates jobs,saves the average american maybe a thousand or two a year,and puts the other countries out of business,problem solved.



posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Negative on that one. Why? So these folks can come here then disappear? just what we need....more folks who dont live here to come and drain us dry.



Originally posted by poet1b
• Make it easier for foreign tourists to obtain visas to travel to the US.



posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b
 


None of the above are good ways to create jobs. The fact that Government creates jobs in the first place is a myth. Jobs and economic growth are created in the private sector. The public sector destroys wealth, because the public sector requires money from the private sector in order to function.

How to create jobs 101

The Federal Government needs to do the following...

1) cut corporate and payroll taxes in half (at a minimum)

2) give tax breaks/incentives to employers

3) stop over-regulating

4) domestic energy production (drill baby drill)

5) Get the hell out of the way



posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b
 


While I am all for jobs, several of those recommendations frighten me.

Exactly which jobs are currently open and lacking trained workers that a community college could churn out quickly? What is the pay scale? While yes, even a low paid job is better than none at all for the short term, is the recommendation and indication of helping Americans get used to their new lower standard of living?

Another reply already expressed concerns about increasing and streamlining tourist visas. Yeah, I think that is a really bad idea. The TSA is grouping our own citizens but let's make it easier for others to stop by for a visit. Just doesn't work for me.

Streamline construction process and loans. Personally, given the way that banks are prepping to back of off treasuries in case the debt ceiling isn't increased, I expect credit to freeze up big time again. And I do't want the government loaning out more money to business folk. I just don't. Yes, the article stated small business, but in my experience a fair number of them are rather corrupt and money goes missing too.

If construction is streamline: I worry that pushing through any big projects too quickly would just lead to poor planning, $ squandering, etc. I was (and am) a big fan of the bridge fund projects but a poster on this board let me know that anythign that couldn't be shovel ready 90 days after it was passed didn't get funded so the funds were not really spent the best way that they could be.

Now, in terms of putting people to work on Public Projects. COUNT ME IN!!!! It worked in the depression and expanded our infrastructure. Infrastructure is one of the things that I do believe the Federal Government has a real stake in and so Federal Money in those projects doesn't bother me. And, our infrastructure is a mess.

All in all I think the experts recommendations are several strike outs followed by a big home run.
Good Find OP



posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime
reply to post by poet1b
 


None of the above are good ways to create jobs. The fact that Government creates jobs in the first place is a myth. Jobs and economic growth are created in the private sector. The public sector destroys wealth, because the public sector requires money from the private sector in order to function.

How to create jobs 101

The Federal Government needs to do the following...

1) cut corporate and payroll taxes in half (at a minimum)

2) give tax breaks/incentives to employers

3) stop over-regulating

4) domestic energy production (drill baby drill)

5) Get the hell out of the way


As a life long Republican the last few years have been hard. Your number 3 is the reason. If better regulations had been in place we wouldn't be where we are now. Wall Street and the Rich don't care who makes thier products as long as somebody does and somebody buys them. They do not care about the standard of living of Americans. I would like my country back...from them.



posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime
 


Really?

Maybe you might want to look at the 1940ties and 50ties, which prove your claims wrong.

This idea of giving more tax breaks to corporations is what created our current economic catastrophe. History shows that those tax breaks are not reinvested in the U.S. economy, but if used for anything, is to ship U.S. jobs overseas.

Regulations are laws that prevent white collar crime. Once again, as the last decade has shown, this only leads to a massive increase in white collar crime through fraud.

To insist on following the policies proven to fail, as you want, would be foolish.

If big oil is such a economic powerhouse, then the U.S. government should end the massive amounts of welfare given to the oil industry.

The better answer to oil is to legalize cannabis for industrial use, and start producing bio-diesel. Also, sugar cane ethanol, down in Hawaii.



posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by watcher3339

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime
reply to post by poet1b
 


None of the above are good ways to create jobs. The fact that Government creates jobs in the first place is a myth. Jobs and economic growth are created in the private sector. The public sector destroys wealth, because the public sector requires money from the private sector in order to function.

How to create jobs 101

The Federal Government needs to do the following...

1) cut corporate and payroll taxes in half (at a minimum)

2) give tax breaks/incentives to employers

3) stop over-regulating

4) domestic energy production (drill baby drill)

5) Get the hell out of the way


As a life long Republican the last few years have been hard. Your number 3 is the reason. If better regulations had been in place we wouldn't be where we are now. Wall Street and the Rich don't care who makes thier products as long as somebody does and somebody buys them. They do not care about the standard of living of Americans. I would like my country back...from them.


Wall Street and the bankers have nothing to do with company "X" being able to afford production in the United States, but high corporate and payroll taxation does, forced unionization does, and over regulating how to produce a product because it has to be "green" does. Right now businesses are sitting on whatever money they have because they are uncertain about what the future holds, and they aren't hiring or expanding as a consequence. Right now our Government and businesses are in a "Mexican" standoff, waiting to see what the other is going to do. Obama Care is the other reason businesses aren't hiring, because they don't know what their health care costs will be in the near future.

The regulation that you are talking about is different than the kind I am talking about. You are talking about financial regulation, I am talking about regulation that says what kind of this, that, and the other you have to use or you will be heavily fined (EPA, OSHA, etc...)



posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by watcher3339
 


Nice reply, I think you make some good points.

If community colleges increased their programs for producing machinists and of skilled blue collar positions, that could help a great deal, as the retiring boomers are leaving a lot of these positions in need of skilled people. However, I would be more interested in encouraging on the job training and schooling. This way, young people earn money while learning, and personally I think OJT is far superior to class room training.

I would agree, many of these community colleges seem more out to program kids rather then teach them something useful. I don't have a lot of respect for our educational institutions in general,

A better way would be to establish firm requirements for getting qualified for these fields, and then putting out the information so that self motivated students could learn what is needed, on their own, and take tests to obtain proper certification.

As far as visas for immigrants is concerned, it shouldn't happen until they finish putting in place a strong program to go after employers who hire illegals. Such efforts would go a long ways to improving the employment picture, and from my understanding, this is what the Obama admin is doing.

If done properly, I think stream lining construction projects could be done. When you have an admin that doesn't believe in business regulation, it is easy to see how these projects can get out of hand, but if properly managed, this could work well.

The idea of investing in our nations infrastructure, and therefore the future is what I think is most important. The boomer generation is leaving the generations that come after deeply in debt. At the very least, we should have something to show for those debts.



posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime
 


High corporate taxes didn't prevent strong economic growth in the sixties and the nineties, why should it be a problem now. In fact, what we have consistently seen is just the opposite, cutting corporate taxes and regulations leads to high employment, and economic down turns, as we have witnessed over the last decade.

What happens is all the money winds up in the pockets of the bankers.

By the way, the EPA and others do not tell businesses what they must use, they tell them what standards they must meet. I know this well because I have dealt with meeting requirements. Cutting back on these types of regulations only leads to cutting shortcuts to increase exec bonuses, which also means laying off the workers that maintain the equipment that keeps the environment from being polluted. The cutting of corners for exec bonuses only lead to short term financial gain, while the cutting of corners leads to long term losses. This can be seen in third world countries who do not enforce laws to protect the environment.



posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
reply to post by watcher3339
 


Nice reply, I think you make some good points.

If community colleges increased their programs for producing machinists and of skilled blue collar positions, that could help a great deal, as the retiring boomers are leaving a lot of these positions in need of skilled people. However, I would be more interested in encouraging on the job training and schooling. This way, young people earn money while learning, and personally I think OJT is far superior to class room training.

I would agree, many of these community colleges seem more out to program kids rather then teach them something useful. I don't have a lot of respect for our educational institutions in general,

A better way would be to establish firm requirements for getting qualified for these fields, and then putting out the information so that self motivated students could learn what is needed, on their own, and take tests to obtain proper certification.

As far as visas for immigrants is concerned, it shouldn't happen until they finish putting in place a strong program to go after employers who hire illegals. Such efforts would go a long ways to improving the employment picture, and from my understanding, this is what the Obama admin is doing.

If done properly, I think stream lining construction projects could be done. When you have an admin that doesn't believe in business regulation, it is easy to see how these projects can get out of hand, but if properly managed, this could work well.

The idea of investing in our nations infrastructure, and therefore the future is what I think is most important. The boomer generation is leaving the generations that come after deeply in debt. At the very least, we should have something to show for those debts.


People graduating college is irrelevant if there are no jobs to work in upon graduation.



posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b
 




• Streamline permitting processes to speed more construction projects. Council members Jeff Immelt of General Electric and Ken Chenault of American Express said some simple steps could achieve this goal "without undercutting the protections that our regulatory system provides."

Yeah because what america needs is more houses... who will buy them? Nobody.


Make it easier for foreign tourists to obtain visas to travel to the US.

And who wants to visit the US with the TSA and cops harassing tourists?



• Help construction workers pick up their tools again with a campaign to upgrade commercial and government buildings for energy efficiency. Obama also touted this so-called Better Buildings Initiative Monday while visiting Cree, a maker of energy-efficient lighting in Durham, after the jobs council meeting.

Part of cap and trade... which would put another financial burden on corporations.



posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
reply to post by OptimusSubprime
 


High corporate taxes didn't prevent strong economic growth in the sixties and the nineties, why should it be a problem now. In fact, what we have consistently seen is just the opposite, cutting corporate taxes and regulations leads to high employment, and economic down turns, as we have witnessed over the last decade.

What happens is all the money winds up in the pockets of the bankers.

By the way, the EPA and others do not tell businesses what they must use, they tell them what standards they must meet. I know this well because I have dealt with meeting requirements. Cutting back on these types of regulations only leads to cutting shortcuts to increase exec bonuses, which also means laying off the workers that maintain the equipment that keeps the environment from being polluted. The cutting of corners for exec bonuses only lead to short term financial gain, while the cutting of corners leads to long term losses. This can be seen in third world countries who do not enforce laws to protect the environment.


There are two perfect examples of the economic growth that comes with cutting taxes, especially at the corporate level. Those two examples are Calvin Coolidge and Ronald Reagan. Your claim that the money ends up in the hands of bankers is nothing more than a MSM talking point, besides, doesn't all money end up in the hands of bankers eventually? That is the purpose of banks, to handle the money supply, right? Don't get me wrong, because the corrupt bankers are partly responsible for the mess we are in, but bankers in general are being wrongfully vilified. The real villains in all of this are the fascist, corrupt politicians in Washington D.C and the labor union bosses that line their pockets.

A great example of this are the GM and Chrysler bailouts. The private bond holders got the shaft, and the AFL-CIO got part ownership of the companies. The conflict of interest lies in the fact that the United Auto Workers Union is an off shoot of the AFL-CIO. How can a union collectively bargain with the company that they partly own? It isn't possible. This is just one of many examples of the real problem that exists in this country.

The EPA does indeed tell companies what they can and can't do, as well as what they can and can't use in their production processes. This isn't always true, because it all depends on what a company is producing. The EPA and OSHA, under the power of the Department of Labor, circumvent Congress almost on a daily basis. Their draconian regulations stifle business growth and profit, which leads to high unemployment.



posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Do not see above items working op, but if you want to get one million jobs going in the U.S. just simply shut down NAFTA, and GAFTA for a year.

This is a no-brainer



posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
The president can't create jobs. Only the private sector can create jobs.

The most a president can do, is remove jobs from one place, and put them in another and say, "Abracadbra, jobs."



posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime
Your claim that the money ends up in the hands of bankers is nothing more than a MSM



I'd be interested in seeing the data you base that statement on.

thanks in advance!



posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by allprowolfy
Do not see above items working op, but if you want to get one million jobs going in the U.S. just simply shut down NAFTA, and GAFTA for a year.

This is a no-brainer


How would one 'shut down NAFTA or GATT?" That wouldn't bring jobs back. It's not like reversing time. Besides, they are treaties with several countries, not just legislation within the US.

No, the sure fire way to bring jobs back to N America is to lower wages, working conditions, and environmental regulations, putting them on par with the third would countries they moved to.
edit on 14-6-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
Negative on that one. Why? So these folks can come here then disappear? just what we need....more folks who dont live here to come and drain us dry.



Originally posted by poet1b
• Make it easier for foreign tourists to obtain visas to travel to the US.



Are you under the impression well-to-do tourists from other countries just DESPERATELY want to sneak into the US to work for less than they can in their own country, with no health care, and no social infrastructure?

Man, you need to get out more.



posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
you wanna create jobs then understand this:

why is it cheaper to have a product made 10,000 miles away and shipped here than to have the same product make 1 mile away from where you live?

those are bad ideas op.


the answer to that question is:governement.



posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
This is something that needs to be done, because all evidence seems to indicate that Congress is only concerned with destroying the U.S. economy and the middle class and working class, since repubs have taken over.


I know talking to you (a republican-bashing liberal) will be like talking to a rock but look at this video and tell me if this is a person who is concerned about the jobs in the United States or the American worker.



What really makes this clowns answer so bad is the people on either side of him laughing at his pathetic attempt at humor.

This clown couldn't create a job on his best day. You see where I said 'a job' don't you?



new topics

top topics



 
11
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join