It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Workers’ share of national income plummets to record low

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
the lookout

Why are workers taking home such a reduced share of the pie? Opinions differ, but many experts think that the trend has to do with a number of factors, including a decline in the bargaining power of labor, and increased competition from foreign workers. Similarly, over the last year or so, U.S. companies have made record profits, while unemployment has stayed high and wages have barely risen.

Remember that when corporations like wal mart don't want employees to unionize and when governors take away union rights. Unions can be a pita, but that doesn't render them obsolete.

Now I am reading this article right after I read this one:

The 57,000-square foot Los Angeles mansion built by the late TV producer Aaron Spelling is slated for sale to a 22-year-old heiress to a Formula One racing fortune. The home on five acres of property in Holmby Hills has a bowling alley, beauty salon, several gift-wrapping rooms and parking for 100 cars

real estate yahoo

Something is wrong with the world if a 22 year old can own two massive, massive homes.

The problem is becoming more and more apparent that while Americans and others struggle, the companies they give thier business too don't feel a need to return the favor. The companies that are taken care of should turn around take care of their customers.

But yet people still insist on supporting these corporations whose only interest is profit. But it is the mid line corporations that are paying the price in the recession that the fat cats created.
edit on 14-6-2011 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
That's why other than kids clothes/shoes, groc and necessities, I DON'T buy anything new. I don't even rent movies..People that complain a lot are usually the ones with every new gadget that is pandered...so I don't really have a lot of sympathy for most people. Don't buy into the trends and you'll be fine..

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I think the rich have prostatitis as the trickle down has turned to a dribble. Or perhaps the whole notion that making rich people richer would benefit those who are making them rich is ,how shall I say it? Rich?Gotta wonder when folks will see the Reagan yrs for what they were.
seed

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
And it seems that the only thing keeping stock market prices up are the bailouts, and large numbers of loans from the fed res.

If average people are not making any money, than average people can not afford to spend. Seems pretty easy, with out demand, prices drop.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

I agree with you...I never buy myself new clothes. Today went to the thrift store and bought a half dozen summer shirts, a pair of shorts, a .75 cent toaster for the RV up north, paperbacks and a new comforter for five dollars. All this for thirteen dollars. Now, had a gone to Walmart or Kohl's, I would have spent well over a hundred, I'm sure. I do buy the kids new shoes and school clothes. I like to get by on the cheap, it's almost fun.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Don't buy into the trends and you'll be fine..

No. This dismissive comment greatly underestimates the daily struggles of minimum wage workers in America. Of course, we could simply do the math.

At minimum wage, with payroll taxes taken out, the full-time worker takes home just a little over $200 a week. Now let's look at rents in an average kind of city like Denver...Even for a 1 bedroom apartment, you're looking at $650-$800 a month...utilities? If you have kids, you're really screwed. Food stamps may help to keep them fed, but that program is under attack as well. What about upkeep, fees, and gas for a car? Even bus fees add up to at least $100 a month. Working from behind already. If someone in the family gets sick, forget it.

Gadgets, indeed!
edit on 14-6-2011 by joechip because: clarification and addition

edit on 14-6-2011 by joechip because: edit to add.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Henry works his fingers to the bone busting his butt in the field and gets paid 5 dollars an hour. Mark works in a nice air conditioned office sitting in a chair surfing Facebook all day long makes 5 dollars an hour. Communism FTL.

Henry works his fingers to the bone busting his butt in the field and gets paid 8 dollars an hour. Mark works in a nice air conditioned office sitting in a chair surfing Facebook all day long makes 25 dollars an hour. Capitalism FTL.

Both systems are pure fecal matter. Communism is like diarrhea, while capitalism is like a giant solid log of poop with corn kernels in it. While solid stool is better than diarrhea, in the end they are both poop.

Greed is our goal? Greed is our driving force? *Sigh*
Accumulate as much currency and material possessions as possible before we hit 100 orbits of our planet Earth around our star Sun. I have a hard time accepting that I am a part of our species humanity. I have no desire for wealth, power or possessions.

Knowledge is the only thing of value to me. If there is an afterlife then perhaps it is the only item of value that we get to take with us to it.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

This is indeed a dilemma.

Wages too high and Union demands too high, companies and governments fail (GM, Greece and soon Spain, California and other local governments raped by Unions).

Wages too low the standard of living fails.

Both sides work together, both sides win. Government and Politicians are however in the business of dividing to control.

The Right failed to govern and added to the problems. The Left has now had it's chance and failed miserably.

Now the Left want's to try the same steps yet again.

Only the Moderates have any answers, but we have no voice. Only the radicals who brought us these radical failures have power. You follow the Right or the Left, you insure failure. We work together we insure a brighter future. Alas we are all too busy hating on each other to work together and our governments must keep us at each others throats to control us.

You can hate the companies that create the jobs for succeeding, but without them there are no jobs. You can hate the Unions for making insane demands that have destroyed companies and bankrupted our governments which resulted in less jobs and increased the distance between rich and poor. Hating either only leads to more suffering.

So much complaining, name calling and righteous indignation, but no plans to fix anything? Everyone hates one side or the other but they certainly have no solution other than I want my candy and I want my candy now!!!!

Honest Unions = good things.
Corrupt Unions = bad times.

Not many honest Unions around these days and they of course are in collusion with their dishonest counterparts in the government (Obama / United Auto Workers).

GM is failing again and soon will be a memory, however those who played along with the charade will retire to Marthas Vineyard to ponder their life's work.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

And it seems that the only thing keeping stock market prices up are the bailouts, and large numbers of loans from the fed res.

If average people are not making any money, than average people can not afford to spend. Seems pretty easy, with out demand, prices drop.

Im goin out on a limb here and bettin that you have no proof of that.... none at all

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by joechip

listen, im not trying to be a bitch..im poor too..but I live WITHIN my means. While all my friends had huge weddings and bought new cars and newly built homes with incomes no greater than mine..My husband and I have 15 yr old cars (PAID FOR)..a 100 yr old house (PAID FOR) and hardly ever buy anything new. We were married in courthouse for 10 bucks.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neopan100
That's why other than kids clothes/shoes, groc and necessities, I DON'T buy anything new. I don't even rent movies..People that complain a lot are usually the ones with every new gadget that is pandered...so I don't really have a lot of sympathy for most people. Don't buy into the trends and you'll be fine..

Yes. Spending money you don't have on things you don't need to impress people you don't like. It's the American way!

No sympathies here, either. People made hay during the sunshine, yet forgot to save for the rainy days.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by joechip

Don't buy into the trends and you'll be fine..

At minimum wage, with payroll taxes taken out, the full-time worker takes home just a little over $200 a week. Now let's look at rents in an average kind of city like Denver...Even for a 1 bedroom apartment, you're looking at $650-$800 a month...utilities? If you have kids, you're really screwed. Food stamps may help to keep them fed, but that program is under attack as well. What about upkeep, fees, and gas for a car? Even bus fees add up to at least $100 a month. Working from behind already. If someone in the family gets sick, forget it.

Gadgets, indeed!
edit on 14-6-2011 by joechip because: clarification and addition

edit on 14-6-2011 by joechip because: edit to add.

Then don't have kids. Or send them to adoption. If you can't afford to give a good life for your offspring, you're not good enough for the species and its procreation.
Use a scooter, a bike or walk.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

But there's demand elsewhere in the world.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
the lookout

Now I am reading this article right after I read this one:

The 57,000-square foot Los Angeles mansion built by the late TV producer Aaron Spelling is slated for sale to a 22-year-old heiress to a Formula One racing fortune. The home on five acres of property in Holmby Hills has a bowling alley, beauty salon, several gift-wrapping rooms and parking for 100 cars

real estate yahoo

Something is wrong with the world if a 22 year old can own two massive, massive homes.

Envy is a terrible sin and I'd guess the 22 year old has by no fault of her own inherited the work of her family elders - why be jealous or penalize her for that.

Its just life and envy is one of the worst things to experience as it provides no real motivation to do better for yourself.

My advice is quit worrying about her inheritance and build your own.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   

If a person is on min. wage they are exceeding what they can afford if they are renting for 800/month. Now you may argue that a person can't find rent below that..well..again they cannot afford it..so they will have to lower their standard of living or try to find employment that allows them to afford the 800/month apartment. That's just how it is.

You and your husband own your own home. You claim you are "poor." You don't know how good you have it. Just demanding that someone lower their standard of living (like that can just be done infinitely) to afford an apartment TO LIVE IN, or get a better, higher-paying job that often doesn't exist, (who should do the minimum wage jobs, exactly?) is another example of how you don't get it.

First you say "don't buy gadgets!" as if that really addresses the problem...and when I clarify just how out of touch that is, you further insist that the struggle of poverty is "just how it is..."

Reminds me of a song...

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by joechip

If a person is on min. wage they are exceeding what they can afford if they are renting for 800/month. Now you may argue that a person can't find rent below that..well..again they cannot afford it..so they will have to lower their standard of living or try to find employment that allows them to afford the 800/month apartment. That's just how it is.

You and your husband own your own home. You claim you are "poor." You don't know how good you have it. Just demanding that someone lower their standard of living (like that can just be done infinitely) to afford an apartment TO LIVE IN, or get a better, higher-paying job that often doesn't exist, (who should do the minimum wage jobs, exactly?) is another example of how you don't get it.

First you say "don't buy gadgets!" as if that really addresses the problem...and when I clarify just how out of touch that is, you further insist that the struggle of poverty is "just how it is..."

Reminds me of a song...

Got cable TV? turn it off
Got cell phone - turn it off
Got internet turn it off
Got indoor plumbing turn it off
Got enough food turn it off

These are all things I did not have growing up.

When all these things are true then I'll listen to your complaining.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

Tough #. You cannot force the rich to share their wealth. Just like you cannot force doctors to operate for free.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix
Got cable TV? turn it off
Got cell phone - turn it off
Got internet turn it off
Got indoor plumbing turn it off
Got enough food turn it off

These are all things I did not have growing up.

When all these things are true then I'll listen to your complaining.

Hey, same here.

I grew up in a middle class family in the 3rd world. And I was born during martial law (though it got lifted before I turned a year.) My parents were born just before WWII broke out.

Cable didn't reach my town until I was 13 (1994)
Cellphone only reached popularity here in the mid 90s
We didn't have internet here till 2006 (had to travel half an hour to a nearby town to use it.)
We didn't have running water until 1993. And only because we got an electric pump. We did have a manual pump.prior to that (we still do.)
As I've said, my parents were born during WW2 so they scrimped and saved (only to blow their money on my siblings' useless education in top universities in my country's capital. Which is hundreds of miles away when there were competent schools where we live.) While my siblings all went to university, I was still in elementary. We always had food. But it really sucked. I always went to school without eating anything in the morning (because I was picky.) So up to now I can still go on during the day without eating anything.

edit on 6/15/2011 by eldard because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by joechip

I get it...some people feel entitled to things they cannot afford.

BTW..My husband and I bought our home for 40K USD. It took us 15 yrs to clear the bank and be scott free. While almost every person we knew felt entitled to the nice cars, gadgets, homes, vacations etc..we worked and sat at home. Did I envy those people that had it all? You bet..you don't think I wanted a new car and nice clothing and beautiful home fully furnished? We have had the same crap we've had for the last 15/20 years..WHY because that's all we can/could afford to do. Hell..we still have a 300lb box tv! NO flat screens in my home

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by eldard

Exactly..I don't know why people just don't get that some cards are dealt in others favors. Some people have great hands while others...not so much. Most people get dealt a # hand..That's JUST how it is. Either take it or do something about it.

A lot of people are looking at the wrong way-Every single person on here was dealt a decent hand or they wouldn't have internet..or a computer or know how to read and write. Even though I have little compared to many americans, I have riches compared to that kid picking garbage outta of the dump.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join