It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How's your new healthcare?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I work in healthcare software and have been knee deep in the so-called healthcare reform from day one. Before I taint the waters by stating what I have observed, I would like to know how it has affected YOU.

Is anybody getting what they expected? Do you have free/cheaper/more accessible healthcare?

I really want a real- world picture of what has changed for you, out in the trenches. Whether you have had positive or negative experience, please quantify them. I don't want to hear just generalized statements like, "Yea, it's been great for me". Give examples of how it has changed, what's better. How much money have you saved. The same goes for negative experiences; if you think it "reform" has negatively impacted your healthcare, give examples.

The purpose of this isn't a political one, so keep save your political rantings for another forum.
edit on 14-6-2011 by General.Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I had insurance through my husband's work before the Healthcare Initiative, so it's no different for me.

My husband lost his job a few years ago and we had no insurance and I couldn't get insurance at all because of a preexisting condition. One thing that would be different under the new healthcare is that I would be able to get insurance. It would have saved us thousands if we had had Obamacare then...

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by General.Lee

Nothing has changed for me. Still have the same family plan as before. Premiums and everything are the same.
Still quite satisfied with the insurance i have.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by General.Lee

First of all let me make this clear I am totally against Obama-care,I am with tri-care for those of you that don't know it's government health insurance and will not be affected by the new health care system.I currently see an outside provider that will be affected by the new laws,I see him for specialty treatment that is not available in the military hospitals.As of this fall he will be charging extra(that I cannot afford,not covered by insurance))to be seen in his office.The new system they are implementing it's called the wellness program(MDVIP)wellness being the primary care.From what I understand of it,it will be focusing on prevention and health as opposed to just caring for you when you are sick and normal medical care is referred to as being illness care.
There are a number of exceptional clinics that are part of the program,such as the Cleveland Clinic,Mayo Clinic Baylor Clinic and numerous more with physicians on call 24/7 days a week,sounds like a good program,again as it may not be affordable to me.So my question to you is do you know of this plan if you do could you give me more of the inside scoop?.....thanks

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Simply put, it has not changed for me at all.

Not much else I can say really....Good bad or otherwise, not much has changed.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by General.Lee
I work in healthcare software and have been knee deep in the so-called healthcare reform from day one. Before I taint the waters by stating what I have observed, I would like to know how it has affected YOU.

Is anybody getting what they expected? Do you have free/cheaper/more accessible healthcare?

First off you are asking the wrong question. free/cheaper/more accesible? How about simply having coverage?

My sister has had no healthcare at all for 6 years due to a pre-existing condition. She is now insured through IPEX, Illinois pre-existing condition program. One of the programs just started to comply with Obamacare. She pays slightly more than what my other sister pays via Blue Cross/Blue Shield, but gets identical benefits. Her pre-existing condition has to do with her heart, but is relatively a minor issue. I am just relieved that she can go to the doctor again for check-ups etc.
edit on 14-6-2011 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
An increase of $25 this year for the monthly fee. And told that next year will see an increase as well.
Yea new mandates!!!

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5

First off you are asking the wrong question. free/cheaper/more accesible? How about simply having coverage?

My sister has had no healthcare at all for 6 years due to a pre-existing condition. She is now insured through IPEX, Illinois pre-existing condition program. One of the programs just started to comply with Obamacare. She pays slightly more than what my other sister pays via Blue Cross/Blue Shield, but gets identical benefits. Her pre-existing condition has to do with her heart, but is relatively a minor issue. I am just relieved that she can go to the doctor again for check-ups etc.

So she was stopped from going to check-ups?

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman

So she was stopped from going to check-ups?

Not stopped, just entirely out of pocket. She was supposed to go to a cartiologist every few months. She got a divorce from a jerk husband, was dropped from his plan when he became unemployed. She works part time while raising my nephew. A single routine cardiologist visit can run 600 dollars, let alone the tests they wanted to do bi-annually which were thousands.

So "stopped from going to check-ups"? No, she could have kept going, but it would have bankrupted her in the first year.

It took her a while to pay off the first couple of bills with interest and then she stopped going to the doctor.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Ok, just wanted to have that cleared up.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

An increase of $25 this year for the monthly fee. And told that next year will see an increase as well.
Yea new mandates!!!

Did your rates not go up before Obamacare? How do you correlate the two?

My rates rocketed pre-Obamacare and I am a pretty healthy guy.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Yea new mandates!!!

Nope, last 4 years have been flat. We were told last year that this years rates were going up, and they did. And are told that next year will go up again.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Yea new mandates!!!

Nope, last 4 years have been flat. We were told last year that this years rates were going up, and they did. And are told that next year will go up again.

Wow. I was Unicare then BC/BS. Never had a serious health issue and my rates literally doubled between 2006 and 2009. Who were you with where it was flat for 4 years?

Edit to add: I found this study by the Kaiser Foundation showing national premiums and employee contributions increasing 130% between 99 and 2009. I would be really interested in what insurer you use where it was flat for 4 years, I might give them a try.

Also I don't think you answered my question. You said your rates went up $25? What percentage is that of your annual premium and (2) why do you think a rate increase is correlated to HCR/Obamacare? Becuase it seems as if rates have been rising rapidly for years. Both my personal experience and research on averages seems to show the same.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Yea new mandates!!!

Wow. I was Unicare then BC/BS. Never had a serious health issue and my rates literally doubled between 2006 and 2009. Who were you with where it was flat for 4 years?

United Health Care on a Company account.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

United Health Care on a Company account.

It doesn't look like your insurer raised rates because they are suffering under Obamacare.

Interesting links:
United Health CEO's raises rate request questions

CEO, Stephen Hemsley, $102 million in total compensation for 2009," Blumenthal said. "The company also reported that its first-quarter profit for 2010 rose 21 percent to $1.2 billion.

Read more: www.ctpost.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

It went from flat to an increase from 2010 to 2011. And set to increase from this year to next, on a different carrier with a different company.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
my premiums actually went down a little bit ( a very, very little bit)....
same coverage for less...
have no idea why it turned out that way this year, it's the first year in awhile that it hasn't gone up and my boss hasn't had to pull his hair out trying to make the insurance plan workable. if it has anything whatsoever to do with obamacare, I would venture to guess the gov't has kind of "asked" them to behave themselves for a little bit and well, they will reap the rewards soon!!!

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I won't expose the name of the coverage I have, however, it has gotten worse.
The dr now seems to be in a hurry when he comes in to see me, and while any prescriptions are the same price, they take a day longer to fill.
Dental has become unbearable. The co-pays have gone up $10 on average, and vision coverage has also seen restrictions.

top topics

join