It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP House To Cut Aid For Pregnant Women, Children While Spending $17 Billion More On Defense

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
GOP House To Cut Aid For Pregnant Women, Children While Spending $17 Billion More On Defense

Today, the Republican-controlled House will begin another onslaught on programs designed to help low-income and middle class families. The GOP quite literally wants to take food from the mouths of children, cutting $47 billion — or 10 percent — from domestic programs, to pay for more defense spending. In negotiations to reach a debt ceiling compromise, Republicans have declared defense cuts “off the table,” even though Pentagon spending is notoriously bloated and Secretary of Defense Gates and other top generals have admitted spending should be curtailed

Link to Story

Essential programs on the chopping block include the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC) and Commodity Supplemental Food programs, which both help low-income people get nutritional food. Hundreds of thousands of people will be cut from the programs if House Republicans get their way. WIC “provides healthy foods like milk, eggs and infant formula to about 9 million poor mothers and pregnant women and their children,” and would absorb a $868 million cut under the GOP bill, which falls $1.3 billion short of what’s needed to adequately fund the program with food prices on the rise.

There you go folks - the brilliance of GOP policy in action. We are in the worst economic downtown since the Great Depression and the GOP guts food programs for infants and pregnant women while increasing the budget so that the Pentagon can continue useless wars against manufactured enemies.

We have millions of underemployed and unemployed who depend on these programs as the only real means of getting their children nutritional food and not overprocessed, poisoned GMO crap that's peddled on the value menu of American fast food chains.

The GOP and Faux-Tea Party members scream and moan about the deficit and American debt and have the audacity to claim they are trying to get people back to work - and then gut the only programs that help them and their infant children to survive while they search for jobs or scrape together money to make ends meet.

This is the world of the modern GOP: Banana Republics where 98% of the population has nothing and no way to protect themselves from the next time the Corporatists rape the economy and steal more wealth from hard working lower and middle class citizens. Where endless tax cuts for the top 2% supposedly spur job growth that benefits everyone - but never really does (don't worry, it's just around the corner!)

All you have to do is stop feeding your family, make sure you can't afford health insurance and can never retire, let your roads and bridges turn into dirt, completely obliterate your educational system, and stop organizing to protect yourself from corporate overreach. Then those magical tax cuts will start raining down jobs and happiness on everyone!

Oh, we need to increase the deficit a little - sorry about all those cuts, but there are a lot of people on the other side of the world we need to bomb. Tell your kids we said hi!

This is what the welfare state looks like:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/767640980eec.jpg[/atsimg]

I'll let your eyes determine who exactly is the real welfare queen of the United States of America.

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Man, those infants really feel entitled to that food, huh? Maybe they should get off of their lazy diapered asses, learn how to walk, and get a job instead of taking handouts from real americans!

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
If they can't afford a kid and can't take care of a kid then don't have a kid . Somewhere there has to be personal responsibility without the expectation that every tax payer is going to be the parent of someone elses kid . How about tracking down the fathers , if the mothers even know who they are . It's been a scam for decades . Keep popping kids and the welfare check gets bigger and then turn the kids loose on the streets .

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
How is it, that with the vast increases in productivity over the last fifty years, a guy working a decent job can not support a family, when fifty years ago, this was completely possible.

They should concentrate on ending corporate welfare first. but obviously that won't happen as long as people keep buying into the phony boloney free market scam. How much more power do these people want to give to the banks?

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Great OP, and if the barbarians on ATS don’t like it, then I only hope one day they don’t get sick, or mentally ill or loose their jobs and can't get another one, and themselves need help.

Then they might understand and become human beings.

edit on 14-6-2011 by inforeal because: added content

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by bandito
If they can't afford a kid and can't take care of a kid then don't have a kid . Somewhere there has to be personal responsibility without the expectation that every tax payer is going to be the parent of someone elses kid . How about tracking down the fathers , if the mothers even know who they are . It's been a scam for decades . Keep popping kids and the welfare check gets bigger and then turn the kids loose on the streets .

Well, they could always go to planned parenthood for services...oh, that's right, you want to cut their money too!

+9 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

What about the woman whose husband passed away?

What about the new family that lost their jobs because of the downturn?

What if a condom broke or the BC was ineffective?

You obviously have absolutely no idea how programs like WIC actually function. WIC only pays for certain items like milk and eggs and baby formula. It's not like she is using her vouchers to go buy crack (which I assume is what you must think the 9 million enrolled in WIC use the program for).

Women in this program need to be recertified twice a year and receive vouchers for a limited number of grocery items. The program also checks the mother's health and iron levels and weighs the infants after their born to ensure that they are healthy as well.

Care to address the complete hypocrisy that the GOP is gutting the program so they can make more bombs? Or do you just want to make more claims that everyone on the program is a lazy mooch?

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Wow! Only 6 replies in four hours. Where are all the conservatives to cheer this on? Tea partiers loving the spending cuts on "entitlements"?

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Not surprised, if fact happily not surprised. Checks and balances people. the Right keeps us safe and the Left gives the country away, always has been that way, enablers helping the entitled to further their voter base sums up the lefts logic, so of course they'll dwell on this rather than whats important.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
What about Obama VETO the bill?

If he signs it, he's as guilty.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Option A. Have the obviously cash strapped mother pay for an abortion.
Option B. Have the parents put the child up for adoption and have 100% of it's expences be the responsibility of the state and federal government for possibly 18 years, or pay the adoptive parents their government stipide for 18 years.

Looks like WIC is the cheapest option.
www.dss.mo.gov...

www.fns.usda.gov...

edit on 14-6-2011 by Wetpaint72 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-6-2011 by Wetpaint72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Cutting funding for sexual education.
Cutting funding for birth control and reproductive health.
Outlawing abortion.
Cutting funding for babies in need. Yeah, that all makes perfect sense.

If they can't afford a kid and can't take care of a kid then don't have a kid .

Yeah. If someone has a kid they cannot afford to feed well then f*** that kid.

Somewhere there has to be personal responsibility without the expectation that every tax payer is going to be the parent of someone elses kid . How about tracking down the fathers , if the mothers even know who they are . It's been a scam for decades . Keep popping kids and the welfare check gets bigger and then turn the kids loose on the streets .

Not everyone is in need because they want to be. That may sound strange to you but very few people aspire to live in a house full of children they cannot afford to feed. You seem to think that is the American dream. Where are all these welfare mothers loving life and living high on the hog? Some dads run away. Some dads die. Some are complete scumbags. Some get shot by overzealous police on the street. Things happen. You can either live in a society that casts its most vulnerable aside or one that tries to turn them into something productive. Personally, I would rather a future full of welfare babies turned doctors than a world full of starving children turned criminals. I am actually willing to pay a tax in order to help that society flourish.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

That is right. When the currency has been debased so much that a person cannot maintain a household, then why do so many bitch at some people not being able to make ends meet? Corporate welfare it seems is fine. Funding wars is fine. Rebuilding other countries is fine. To these politicians everything is fine, except helping their own people. In any other world that would be treason. Turning your back on your own people while helping foreign nations and multi-national corporations make ends meet.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by bandito

In great economic times, welfare is fairly low compared to right now. The thing is the middle class has been squeezed out. Many of them are turning to public assistance for the very first time. Certainly you are not talking about hard working people that have worked their whole lives until recently?

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I just want someone to be ballsy enough to say that they would rather kill a child overseas via supporting illegal wars and the ever growing military industrial complex than use even a penny of their tax dollars to feed one over here. Tell the truth for once. NIMBYs do not care if a thousand children over here go without proper nutrition so long as they are able to be fellated by career politicians who would rather place the blame on the disenfranchised instead of where it belongs. Do I know people who buck the system?...yes. You know why..because with bureaucracy, red tape and employees who dont truly give a damn its easy to do so. But I know a lot more people who actually need and can benefit from these programs and the fact that they are being cut so that the elite can line their pockets and the pockets of their friends....and the people of this country are not only NOT outraged, but actually cheering it on....well we deserve our fate. And worse. And thats coming down the pipeline soon enough because if you think they will stop there you are mistaken. Eventually the cuts are going to make their way into those same back yards and you will learn that Republican...Democrat...they dont give a damn about any of us.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Well,if that dim president would get off his butt and bring our troops home,there would be no need to make such a choice would it?He has the power to cut funding and order them onto planes within 48 hrs...so who is the bad guy now

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Homedawg

those who allow such men to rise to and remain in power and the current PE (public enemy aka president) is not the first one to throw the public under a bus.
edit on 14-6-2011 by irsuccubus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   

It amazes me that posters like this can not imagine circumstances in which a person begins a life with a job and then starts a family.Only to have the job outsourced and be left looking. Is it a persons fault for the economics which cause unemployment? Yeah if you can't take care of a kid do not have one. So what about the ones already here who are just as much victims of this economic rape as their parents?
NO SOUP FOR YOU!
seed

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
As someone has already pointed out, the biggest drain on government spending is the government itself, the constant deployment of the armed forces and insane and unnescessary defense spending, the 'tools of the state' so to speak. Money diverted away from militarism could easily build a highly developed, much more egalitarian society. Cut's to healthcare/welfare spending and humanitarian spending are inhumane considering the huge spending habits many nations have for war and invasion.
edit on 14-6-2011 by lifeissacred because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Avenginggecko

the only thing that pisses me off more than reading this is knowing there really isn't a damn thing i can do that would change this. the SOB's of D.C. make Stalin & Hitler look like beginners. satan in hell couldn't come close to what these pieces of shiat do on a regular basis. i'm sick & tired of being sick & tired of what our fearless leaders do.

i have a heavy stack of properly folded American flags that became too tattered to display. i used to be so proud to fly the American flag every day. after my nephew woke me up to what's what i stopped flying the flag. it makes me sad. i take peace that my Marine Dad passed before 9/11; if he lived to see what this country has become he would be in absolute shock and filled with disgust.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join