It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two things I hate about spelling errors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Ok, first of all, what's the deal with people jumping all over someone just because they made a spelling error? Like that simple mistake completely voids the point they were trying to make. Plus we've all misspelled words before, so get over it.

And second, if you don't know how to spell a word, why not just look it up instead of putting (sp?) behind it? You're on the fricking internet for heaven's sake! It takes less than a minute, you won't look like a lazy, stupid person, and you'll know how to spell it for next time. It just seems like a no-brainer to me.

I don't know why that stuff bothers me so much, but I feel better now.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I just added the word "anymore" to my spelling checker dictionary, though there is even debate about the use of that word.

Spelling checkers are the way to go.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I always have two windows open , one for this site and the other for yahoo search and when I have that brain fart and can not remember how that word is spelled, I will go to the yahoo window and start the word in search and in seconds there it is! Now all I have to do is work my fingers so they will lose weight!
I curse these fat fingers, always hitting two keys at the same time!

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I think it’s funny when people get tripped up on words that aren’t always caught by spell checkers. Often I see people misuse words like to, too and two. Even wrongly using digit 2 instead of word two when starting a sentence. Use of contractions is a complete horror show most of the time. Texting shorthand is just lazy.

Elements of Style by William Strunk, Jr., and E. B. White is an amazing, tiny reference that has all the answers for problems like this. It’s actually fun to read.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
What drives me nuts is the stuff that dummies relying on spellcheck are not aware of:

Your
You're
There
Their
They're
Two
Too
To
Etc. And there's another one: It stands for ET CETERA..... it's not ECT. or EXT

And yes, the fact that you can't spell your OWN LANGUAGE better than a third grader, makes you look like an idiot, and renders your whole post as merely the babblings of a moron. Especially since there is such a thing as spellcheck. Apparently, most people on this site can't comprehend what those wiggly red lines mean when they appear.

Typos are a different story. Even typos will be caught by spellcheck. It's not a typo when you use your instead of you're, or their for there. Spellcheck won't catch it for you. So you are proving your stupidity, by not knowing your OWN LANGUAGE. Foreigners get cut slack. Most everyone here are American, and the spelling is HORRENDOUS.

Their all bad spelers hear, and there brians have no knowledge of what spelcek is four.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
i h8 spuling arrows two.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Well though my English is pretty sophisticated in my humble opinion, (very humble, some folks are amazed when I tell them I'm from The Netherlands.
) even I sometimes slip up with "then" and "than".

/sarcasm off

I'm glad I had a great English teacher at school, she gave me 1984 and Brave New World to read.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
We should remember that we may not always know if English is a member's first language, and spelling errors are going to happen.

Of course, while maybe they shouldn't invalidate a post...a gross amount of them can certainly have that effect, just as it does elsewhere in life.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grey Magic
I just added the word "anymore" to my spelling checker dictionary, though there is even debate about the use of that word.

Spelling checkers are the way to go.

Sadly, 'anymore' is not a word, it's two words.
(Actually, it might be a word in the American dialect, but probably not. Don't rely on online American dictionaries, people can just add their mis-spellings and grammar errors.
Here are some of the American errors that thanks to busty girls and angry aggressive men on TV cop shows, and medical soaps have become accepted usage in New Zealand, among the 20-somethings who watch TV and films and never read books:
1. Different than
2. Based off of or based off
3. Like used in all cases - instead of as or as if - example "I feel like I don't know what to do"..
4. Meet, spend, etc (all verbs) used as nouns.
Sigh...

edit on 15/6/11 by Vicky32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos

Most everyone here are American, and the spelling is HORRENDOUS.

Their all bad spelers hear, and there brians have no knowledge of what spelcek is four.

You did really well, and I agree, I very much agree except that 'everyone' is a singular word, so it should be "(al)most everyone here IS American" (which IMO is not true..."
(Sorry as a New Zealander, I see so many errors in the American language, even if it's used correctly! )

new topics

top topics

join