It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The USA - The Ultimate War Monger

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
It could be argued that the United States Of America is the most successful war machine in human history. Whether that is something to be proud of depends on perspective i would think. If you are a middle class American citizen who is able to live a relatively high standard of living, i am sure you would contend that the wars have always been about liberation and security.
On the other hand if you are an Iraqi citizen who lost his/her family and home during and air raid you might be inclined to feel bitter and maybe even hatred towards this nation that declared war before consulting you.

As i said it comes down to perspective and you cannot point fingers and blame the public because they do not make policy. The rulers of a nation make policy and even though it appears that the plebs have a say, i do not believe this to be the case in reality. With this in mind i digress...

The following are a list of all the wars that the USA has been involved in. For a moment i would like to put aside the traditional argument that most of these wars were for controlling resources. Let us for a moment believe that in fact that all this blood was shed in order to liberate the oppressed peoples of this world. With that in mind, my question to you would be, do you believe firstly that it is the USA's responsibility to be liberating anyone. And secondly is the cost (all that bloodshed) worth the reward.

American Revolutionary War

American War of Independence April 19, 1775 – September 3, 1783

Northwest Indian War

Little Turtle's War or Miami Campaign 1785–1795

Quasi War

Franco-American War Half-War 1798–1800

First Barbary War

Barbary Coast War or Tripolitan War 1801–1805

War Of 1812

Second War of Independence June 18, 1812 – March 23, 1815

Second Barbary War

Algerian War 1815

The First Seminole War

1817 - 1818

Arikara War

Winnebago War

Le Fèvre Indian War 1827

Black Hawk War

Black Hawk Campaign 1832

First Sumatran Expedition

February 6 – 9, 1832

Second Seminole War

Florida War 1835 - 1842

Texas Revolution

Texas War of Independence 1836

Second Sumatran Expedition

Mexican - American War

Mexican War or U.S.–Mexican War April 25, 1846 – February 2, 1848

Navajo Wars

1861–1864

Cayuse War

1847–1855

Pitt River Expedition

April 28 - September 13, 1850

Apache Wars

Bombardment of San Juan del Norte

Bombardment of Greytown July 13, 1854

Third Seminole War

Billy Bowlegs War 1855 - 1858

Yakima War

1855 - 1858

Rogue River Wars

1855 - 1856

Puget Sound War

1855 - 1856

Second Opium War

Second Anglo-Chinese War or Second China War 1856 - 1859

Paraguay Expedition

Paiute War

Paiute Indian War or Pyramid Lake War 1860

American Civil War

War Between the States April 12, 1861 – April 9, 1865

Dakota War

Sioux Uprising or Sioux Outbreak of 1862

Colarado War

1863 - 1865

Battles for Shimonoseki

July 20, 1863 - September 6, 1864

Powder River Expedition

Connor Expedition 1865

Snake War

1864 - 1868

Comanche Campaign

Comanche War 1867–1875

Red Cloud's War

Bozeman War or Powder River War 1866 - 1868

Korean Expedition

Shinmiyangyo June 10 – 11, 1871

Modoc War

Modoc Campaign or Lava Beds War July 6, 1872 – June 4, 1873

Red River War

June 27, 1874 - June 1875

Black Hills War

Great Sioux War of 1876–77 or Little Big Horn Campaign 1876 - 1877

Nez Perce War

Nez Perce Campaign 1877

Bannock War

Bannock Campaign 1878

Cheyenne War

Cheyenne Campaign 1878–1879

Sheapeater Indian War

White River War

Ute War or Ute Campaign 1879 - 1880

Pine Ridge Campaign

Ghost Dance War November 1890 – January 1891

Spanish - American War

April 25 – August 12, 1898

Phillipine Insurrection

Philippine–American War or Philippine War of Independence June 2, 1899 – July 4, 1902

Moro Rebellion

1899–1913

Boxer Rebellion

The Boxer Uprising September 28 - August 15, 1900

Occupation of Honduras

Occupation of Cuba

Occupation of Nicaragua

Mexican Revolution

Mexican Expedition or Pancho Villa Expedition April 21, 1914 - June 16, 1919

Occupation of Haiti

Haitian Campaign or Caco War 1915

Occupation of Dominican Republic

Dominican Campaign 1916

World War 1

First World War or Great War 1917–1918

Russian Civil War

1918 - 1920

World War 2

Second World War December 7, 1941 - September 2, 1945

Cold War

1947 - 1991

Lebanon Crisis

Operation Blue Bat July 15 - October 25, 1958

Lebanese Civil War

Multinational Force in Lebanon August 24, 1982 - February 7, 1984

Gulf of Sidra Incident

First Gulf of Sidra Incident August 19, 1981

Action in the Gulf of Cidra

Operation Prairie Fire March 1986

Bombing of Libya

Operation El Dorado Canyon April 15, 1986

Iran - Iraq War

Tanker War 1987 - 1989

Gulf War

Persian Gulf War or Operation Desert Storm August 2, 1990 – February 28, 1991

Somali Civil War

Operation Restore Hope 1992 - 1994

Bosnian War

Operation Deny Flight April 12, 1993 - December 20, 1995 or Operation Deliberate Force August 30, 1995 - September 20, 1995

Operation Uphold Democracy

Haiti 1994

Bombings of Sudan and Afghanistan

Operation Infinite Reach - 1998

Kosovo War

Operation Noble Anvil March 24 – June 10, 1999

War on Terror

October 7, 2001 - ongoing

Second liberian Civil War

Hatian Rebellion

Libyan Civil War

Operation Odyssey Dawn March 19, 2011 - ongoing

I am sure that Alexander The Great, Julius Caesar and Genghis Khan would look on this resume with awe.

A truly amazing statistic is that since WWII the United States has been at peace for 26 Days. Make of that what you will.

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron. ~Dwight D. Eisenhower, speech, American Society of Newspaper Editors, 16 April 1953

edit on 14-6-2011 by Utopian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Utopian

You have made a very good point in your thread and I agree that war is the most counter-productive act that humans engage in. One would think that maybe we should consider replacing the War Dept. with a much more life sustaining Dept. Of Peace. War Sucks!

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Utopian

It could be argued that the United States Of America is the most successful war machine in human history.
There really isn't much of an argument to dispute this. It is dead on accurate as far as I have seen.

Do you believe firstly that it is the USA's responsibility to be liberating anyone.
No.

And secondly is the cost (all that bloodshed) worth the reward.
This may sound selfish, or possibly even egotistical, but it is just honesty. That cost, is not something that I have paid. The only bloodshed that I have seen is on TV, but the war images from the MSM news sources, are rather calm in comparison to the excitement that we can see in the movies.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
YES!!!!! At least we're still #1 at something...

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
everything for enforcing their peace to the world.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
There are many nations that have had a continuous policy of war and the Roman Empire comes to mind right off the bat. I don't recall a time in their history when they were never at war with somebody and at their hey-dey they controlled a vast empire so it could be argued they had the most effective war-machine ever.

Briton could also be ranked up there as they, throughout history, were often running multiple campaigns throughout the world. Spain and France both have long historys of conflicts throughout the globe also and if you wanted to bring ancient history into this we could go into feudal Japan or China's empires. Heck we could even bring in Native American cultures especially the South American ones that lasted far longer than America has been around and were conquerors of their known world.

I would have to give the title of greatest war machine ever to the Nazi's in world war 2. They did not last long but what they put out was tremendous in effort. They turned their entire society into one vast cauldren of war producing factories and created a huge army vastly superior to anything at the time that was well trained and absolutely crushed anything they went after in the beginning of the war.

Ghengis Khan could also be up there with his blitz style campaigns that simply overwhelmed any opponent he ran across and do not forget Alexander the Great who was probably the best military leader the human race ever put out. He went to war simply to go to war and he went wherever he pleased.

edit on 14-6-2011 by kro32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Utopian

I think this sums it up pretty well... George Carlin at his best!

WARNING: EXPLICIT LANGUAGE

edit on 14-6-2011 by OptimusSubprime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Just thought I would leave a few quotes here...

"Don't look for a conspiracy when incompetence will explain the situation."

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
-John Stuart Mill

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin

One of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the great struggle for independence.-Charles Austin Beard

Well the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant but that they know so much that isn’t so. -Ronald Reagan-

"Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views"
William F. Buckley Jr.

Don't think I like war, I don't. Not in the least. I could sit here and defend America's actions on 70 to 80% of these wars, but I don't think you would get it still. Are we perfect? Hell no. Freedom is the best chance man has for figuring out how to live WITH each other. But usually, some dumbass has to "show" the big kid on the block that "their" way is better. Whatever dood.

I love what america stands for. That doesn't mean we get it right everytime.

top topics

join