It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If ignorance is bliss, I'm ready for my labotomy.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Disclaimer: Please know first that I'm not always capable of organizing my thoughts, so if I run on, or seem disjointed, I apologize in advance. Also know that I was unsure where to post this, I decided on "Rant" for reasons which may or may not become obvious. The title is one of my favorite things to say, and the following seems to define it perfectly.

Yesterday, I went outside. For personal reasons that are irrelevant to this thread, going outside is something I hardly ever venture to do. What is relevant is that it limits my scope of everyday life, and how people live in general. And while none of this is news to me... eh... lets get on with the story.

My neighbor was having a small gathering, and my original intention was not to join, but I was invited and since it was really a beautiful day I decided to sit for a while (just in case timeframe is important to anyone, it went from around 5 to 8pm).

It didn't take me long to realize how completely unaware these people are of my world (and I of theirs). The majority of their topics revolved around things I would consider "gossip". Between gossip, a little "reminiscence", and near non-existant takes on whats going on globally.

At one point someone brought up the weather, and I got excited thinking perhaps we could discuss the various theories of WHY the weather is seemingly so dramatic these days. I began listing some examples like Texas and Arizona on fire, the snow in Utah (and others), the tornadoes and flooding in the middle of the country, the fact that we even had some earthquakes in our area which is highly unusual. I was met with blank stares and an obvious dismissal of "yeah the hole in the ozone is getting bigger"..... I started to say "some people don't believe that" but it was too late, they had already gone off on another topic of interest (my neighbor's boyfriends cousins mom doing something with someone, I don't know... I don't care. Important to them I guess).

It was reasonably difficult, since they rarely stopped talking long enough for me to even get a sentence in. For awhile I sat back and just watched them fight over center stage with "my gossip is better than your gossip".

At other points in conversation I played the opportunist. I tried to incorporate things like HAARP, Elenin, Anonymous, Libya, the Economy, Volcanoes, Radiation from Fukushima, Ron Paul, even Aliens...

Response Examples: Never heard of it, never heard of it, never heard of it, yeah war sucks but its good for the economy (dismissed), never heard of it, I thought Fukushima was under control (its not), then why isn't it in the news (cause MSM is controlled), you and your conspiracies, can't be bothered with politics, and a hearty LOL on aliens.

Please understand these are NOT stupid people.... and its not my intention to present them as such. But they are uninformed at the very least, and with all the immediate dismissals, I must contend they really don't want to know whats going on. I suppose in hindsight I could have forced them to listen, but I'm near positive they wouldn't have actually heard what I was saying.

At first I was angry, I didn't let them know this, its easy to blend in these situations - I just kept it to myself. With the trouble I have absorbing all the information out there, I can't imagine my dumping it on them all at once would do any good.

After a while, a sense of superiority crept in. Instead of indulging that feeling, I questioned it. I encounter so many people online who believe they're privy to information that no one else is, and in reality, their ideas (or beliefs if I may) are usually based on false logic, psuedoscience, and/or little nuggets of information they hear and store for later spewing - so no, I am definitely NOT superior - I know my ideas are flawed, I'll never know ALL the facts to make a real educated decision on most of these topics - but is there an excuse for knowing NOTHING?

Then I went into denial. Of course they know, they just don't want to talk about it.. I can't really be the minority here can I? (1 of 6 people...) but of course that idea failed quickly since I heard with my own ears the responses they gave (I'm still reeling from the hole in the ozone comment).

Now, I'm depressed and accepting. I am so powerless. This whole scenario made me question myself rather than them. I know whats up with them. They're consumers. They're concerned with the materialistic things and use the drama as entertainment only. If its not wrapped up in a pretty package and shown on the 11-o-clock news, its not worthy. And I know it isn't their fault, thats the society that we live in.

Since these are generally happy people (in their opinion)... What is up with me? Why am I so concerned? Should I be concerned? Should I find a way to go back to that way of life? Will I be happier? But then I remembered this is one of the reasons why I chose to leave it... because its unaware. It's like... Facebook, only animated...

Finally at the end of it all I just said f-it, and dove into the gossiping. If you can't beat'm, join'm? I hate to admit it but it was too easy to conform and I ended up actually having some conversation, and enjoying the majority of the evening.

An amazing roller coaster ride, in one 3 hour sit down....
I'm leaving out a bunch of things but this is long enough, I think I got my point across.

Finally, if anyone wonders why I'm sharing this... I was driven, compelled to get it out
Call it therapy.
Much Love ♥ ~ Ð

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

Amen brother! If that's what it takes give me one too!
I can use a lobotomy myself.
I don't go outside either,can't blame you. For cultural reasons I don't talk to anybody for fear of being called stupid. In this country I can't go missing, I'll never be found or if something bad happens nobody will believe me.
For you to talk to people about this stuff I commend you because I wouldn't be able to do it.
edit on 14-6-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-6-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Lobotomy, lobotomy, lobotomy, lobotomy!
DDT did a job on me
Now I am a real sickie
Guess I'll have to break the news
That I got no mind to lose
All the girls are in love with me
I'm a teenage lobotomy

Slugs and snails are after me
DDT keeps me happy
Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
That I got no cerebellum
Gonna get my Ph.D.
I'm a teenage lobotomy

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
This quote from Eleanor Roosevelt sums it up best.

"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people"

I said before on ATS, some people like their comfortable box where they only care about what happens to them and those close to them.

But I understand how you feel, the govt is run by powerhungry greedy elites while the people who have best interests in the people stand on the sideline watching them play their game.

I still won't want to trade with the people who stick their head in the sand.

"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict." Martin Luther King, Jr.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Heartisblack - I've never been a brother
- I'm interested and wondering what you mean about "can't go missing" - I have a similar feeling - is it because you're somehow "off the grid"? - Or that no one close to you will miss you if you did? I completely relate to not being believed if something is going on with you... even beyond the realm of conspiracy - simplest example: if I tell my mom I'm getting a migraine she just ignores me completely.

Spoonbender - Awesome song
I have no doubt part of the thread's title was influenced by this song - we go way back

Grey Magic - this is exactly the kind of response I was hoping to get - one of the biggest problems with yesterday's encounter is that it made me feel like I was completely alone (and not in the whiney "I need a man" sense), like in the sense of being wrong and/or delusional - I really was questioning my sanity over it (at least for a minute) and I need the reminder that great people such as -Joey Ramone, Eleanor Roosevelt, MLKJR, and Grey Magic - are/were out there, and understand - Thank you

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
HA! I know the feeling. I've been told by my parents not to believe everything I read on the internet.

I just laugh when I tell them not to believe anything that comes from their TV...

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Some people are born to read the writing on the wall and some aren't.

Just make sure that you do real research- because there are monied interests who continually carve thier two cents worth to try to change the story.

Follow the money- that always leads to the truth.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

You're most welcome, you're not alone, and not insane, I would call it empathetic and sympathetic.

here's another great quote related to this subject.

"And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music."
Friedrich Nietzsche

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
hey man, im in the same boat, however i do not feel sad when this happens, just enraged. i can literally think of many many occaisions where i have had to go through the same forced self quantization to fathom whether or not I am talking to people so helplessly entrenched in a socioeconomic/politically correct - life support system or if the same can be said about me.

however these people often tell me that i am too smart for my own good.

to the OP i would like to pose a question.
It may seem gaudy or unethical but I have been dying to ask someone who might give some semblance of an answer.

here goes.

i understand my lack of punctuation. but i hate punctuation with a passion.

there are a group of people, many have normal lives and have some skills here and there but shine in very few corners of their existence ( for example this person is good at listening, but is terrible at pretty much everything else in life.) in this group with respect to individual usually singular talents and thought processes, there is one who is measurably more ..... apt to deal with lifes problems.

this one person can cook authentically from a mass majority of different disciplines, and can do it with expertise and always recieves raving reviews of 10/10 or "thats the best steak i have ever had in my life, how do you do that?" can also build take apart a pc blindfolded, telling the history of each component as he does so, can do the same with mac. can fix any laptop just depends how much you want to spend. this person can build with wood or weld with metal, or even plastic things that others in his company would not even attempt. can expertly wire or rewire a house or teach someone to do so. can build a stereo for your car install it and sweeten for resonance, can rewire the entire fuel pump relay and system on your 89 f150 so that the thing primes and stays on from 10 guage wire fuses and a voltage tester, can replace the header gaskets on your toyota avalon. can pretty much fix or replace any part of your car. can repair any part of your HVAC system in your house, can fix your ylod ps3 or your rrod xbox360 with a pen torch, can program in the most useful laguages, c, C#, or some of the less useful. basic can build you a physics engine for simulation of rigid bodies. can create levels or a game using unreal engine 3 can create a whole post process chain or complex matierials. can model in maya mudbox or 3dsmax. can write you the saddest or the most motivational poem youve ever read. can plumb your house, can replace any fixture can pop locks can tell you about and work with a variety of gemstones and minerals can acid wash your gates and sandblast your rusty frame. can draw you a photorealistic portrait of your daughter or anything in chalk on the sidewalk or on paper with pen or pencil or paint or crayon. can throw photoshop around like a child, can landscape your house or lay down irrigation can tell you about the universe or multiverse, can produce a garden to lust for in the blistering heat of tucson arizona.
can pretty much tell you how anything works can take it apart put it back together and explain the science behind it.

not to be confused with a jack of all trades master of none; nothing this person puts their hands on is antrhing less than a perfect 10

can tell you about nicola tesla or wave theory can outrun you can out jump you can outsmart you.
and is only 21

one of those characters who can do anything they put their mind to.

but he happens to fit the bill of a conspiracy theorist.

and the others in the group dismiss him as such.

how can they.......how dare they dismiss something that someone (admittedly ) so much better at life can adequately detail and is much more qualified to understand?

How? why?

told you it would be unethical.
edit on 14-6-2011 by reedbananaboat because: punctuation

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by reedbananaboat
hey man, im in the same boat, however i do not feel sad when this happens, just enraged

Let go of the rage, I try too, before we all end up like Alex Jones with a megaphone screaming the truth to people.
(and even than they still won't listen)

I am filled with disappointment though.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grey Magic

Originally posted by reedbananaboat
hey man, im in the same boat, however i do not feel sad when this happens, just enraged

Let go of the rage, I try too, before we all end up like Alex Jones with a megaphone screaming the truth to people.
(and even than they still won't listen)

I am filled with disappointment though.

I thought that was just me, I want to tear my clothes off and run up the street screaming "Wake up you f' ing sheeples and sheepettes!"

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
to Richie and Stratus - I never believe anything

to avoid going completely insane though I do adhere to some ideas - but I don't think anything is completely true or completely false and I'm open to having my mind changed on any subject
Luckily, the more I learn, the more I realize how stupid I am.

Reedbananaboat - I go through the anger phase and the sad phase unfortunately - one of the reasons I avoid people is because I don't want to feel that anger or stress. To me, they're not worth it, and I'd rather be sad alone, than angry in a group.

I actually tell myself I'm too smart for my own good.
::quick hides her ego::

as for your question.... I'm kind of in the same boat. I don't really have an answer, but I do have a theory.

I don't have nearly as many manual skills as you list, but I excel in enough areas that make me wonder why people won't listen, and I come back to the same thing every time - people fear what they don't understand - and someone with a list of credentials like that is pretty rare - rare enough that people don't understand. Its comfortable for them to either exclude "this one person" altogether, or just write them off as a "conspiracy theorist".

LOL Grey, I like AJ, but I can only take him in small doses and only on some subjects - its just too much rehashing the same thing over and over and over

Heartisblack - its definitely not just you - one of the earliest fantasies I ever had in life was getting up in front of my entire class and screaming at them WHATS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!!!!!
I'm talking as far back as elementary school here too, 6, 7, 8 year olds - watching the way they treated each other, and me... if I could've slapped every single one of them I would have - I knew better, why didn't they? The sad thing is, now they're adults - and they still treat each other like crap.... they never developed any respect for people.... that might even give a little more answer to Reed's question...

Just in case I didn't mention, thank you all for contributing. I'm here, and I hear you.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I see you and others on this thread have discovered the sheeple. Now you know why there is all the apathy in this country.

To become intelligent, to learn how to think requires one to work at learning and understanding. Sadly the sheeple are too lazy to do this work. It's hard work and it is so much easier to just believe what you are told and remain ignorant. So they just stumble through life never knowing the truth or even attempting to find it.

Once they complete the schooling they are told to, they stop trying to learn anything else.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
well thank you for responding
i guess i kind of expected that answer but its good to know im not totally insane

well on a side note ron paul got shafted in the television polls today.

0% vs 80% is a big difference

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
lonegurkha - I agree - we should all live in peas

reed - I know right... I was following that poll issue in another thread - we need someone like Ron Paul desperately, but I'm more and more convinced lately that republicans will never allow him to get on the ballot. If he does make it, this will be the first time I've voted since Clinton was in office. If for no other reason than the fact that he doesn't know when to shut up. I love watching him on debates and the ding goes off and he manages to squeeze in 15 more sentences. If you want a transparent gov, you absolutely need someone like that.

And just in case anyone finds these things off topic - lone set the stage by summarizing (absolutely correctly) my experience as one with "sheeple" - because its the sheeple who aren't listening to the candidates - its the sheeple who are listening to other peoples opinions of the candidates - its the sheeple who will be voting in the CNN-mindset (cause if cnn says it, then it must be true)

new topics

top topics

join