To Sacrifice Or Not? How Doctors and Public Health Officials Deal With Dilemmas. What Would You Do

page: 1

join

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
This article primarily asks health care professionals, and health care officials, given situation X, what would you do?

I want to pose this same question to the community of ATS: Your responses are not right or wrong, but they will cause you to look at your ethics, beliefs and your empathetic nature.

In responding, consider your answer as having an impact on society as a whole........

Scientists in the US have investigated the ways in which medical doctors and public health professionals deal with hypothetical dilemmas that require them to decide whether to sacrifice a few for the sake of saving many. Their research extends the kind of dilemma often seen in ethics and philosophy courses, such as the well-known footbridge dilemma, originally suggested by philosophers Philippa Foot and Judith Jarvis Thomson, in which a trolley is about to hurtle into and kill five workers on a railway track. You are on a footbridge spanning the track and can save the workers by pushing a large man next to you off the bridge and into the path of the trolley. The question is, is it morally permissible to kill the one to save the five?

Medical Express

As always, thanks for your time.

Pax

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I wouldn't push the man over the bridge. That would be my direct action causing the death of someone. I would be killing someone.

If the 5 workers are killed by the train, that would be as a result of someone else's negligence, and I wouldn't be responsible for their deaths as there was no direct action on my part that ended in the death of the 5 workers.

I would feed TERRIBLE to ever be in that position, but I couldn't push someone to their death for any reason (except self-defense).

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

BH, how are you? Where you been woman?

I'm with you on this. I don't know what I do except never directly cause the death of someone else. In any circumstance, it would be a hard one to swallow. Hopefully, we will never find ourselves in this position.

Thanks for your comments,

Pax

join