It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows XP Service Pack 2 Is Released

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Windows XP SP2 FINAL has been released to some Sites early. It will be out in the next week. I would post up links for people to download it. But decided against it cuz it would probaly get removed. But the final file size is 266mb if you do decide to download it. Iv got it and will install in the morning, as well as SlipStream it into my XP CD. Will post review then.

www.dslreports.com...=flat

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I managed to snag an early copy of SP2 today. I have yet to install it, but I plan to do it tomorrow. I would post the link, but as dreamlandmafia said, the link is probably down... so I'm not gonna bother.

After installing, I'll let you all know my feelings of SP2. I've done some reading, and I think it's gonna be LOTS more good than bad.

You can read about Windows XP Service Pack 2 here:
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx

Enjoy! (I hope I will...
)

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Actually...boredom just overtook me and im installing it right now. Dont know why tho. I dont use the Firewall. I dont use IE. Not much reason to upgrade. But to stay current I will.

Will add more in about half an hour.

Takes a LONG time to install.

[Edited on 8-8-2004 by dreamlandmafia]

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 02:24 AM
link   
WHOO!!! Done...

A few things that dont seem quite right. Does anybody remember reading something about IE having Tabbed browsing?? I do...and it doesnt. Just a PopUp Blocker. That actually seems to work pretty well. But I dont use IE anyways. The Firewall was kinda annoying. Since I use Sygate...and a router with NAT and Firewall enabled...I dont need XPs Firewall. So I never have it running. And now when I started up the first time it kept asking me if I wanted it to let all these programs connect to the internet. WindowsUpdate got a little makeover. It asks you how you want to install the updates. Theres also this green trailing bar behind it...that had my attention for a few minutes. Just watching it go back and forth and laughing. The Install Window is updated. Also...my AV doesnt recognize under the Security Centers Anti Virus section. But it never does for some reaosn. I cant get the Secuity Center icon out of my task bar. Ill find it tho. It seems to be quite a bit quicker. Not sure if thats just because my StyleXP doesnt work now cuz I updated and im stuck with the plain Win2K theme...or if its the updates. It comes with the newest DirectX 9c. Tis All Pretty Good. Havent found any bugs yet. Cept that damned Tray Icon. It seems to have some better bandwidth features. Im connecting faster.

Overall: 9/10

I didnt like the length of the install. I seriously watched Super Troopers while doing it. Thats 1.5 hours. The tabbed browsing wasnt included in IE like I read. But thats okay. I dont use it anyways. I only use SlimBrowser for sites that require IE.

I hope this "review" has helped some people make the switch. But most people would just do it anyways.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia
WHOO!!! Done...

A few things that dont seem quite right. Does anybody remember reading something about IE having Tabbed browsing?? I do...and it doesnt. Just a PopUp Blocker. That actually seems to work pretty well. But I dont use IE anyways. The Firewall was kinda annoying. Since I use Sygate...and a router with NAT and Firewall enabled...I dont need XPs Firewall. So I never have it running. And now when I started up the first time it kept asking me if I wanted it to let all these programs connect to the internet. WindowsUpdate got a little makeover. It asks you how you want to install the updates. Theres also this green trailing bar behind it...that had my attention for a few minutes. Just watching it go back and forth and laughing. The Install Window is updated. Also...my AV doesnt recognize under the Security Centers Anti Virus section. But it never does for some reaosn. I cant get the Secuity Center icon out of my task bar. Ill find it tho. It seems to be quite a bit quicker. Not sure if thats just because my StyleXP doesnt work now cuz I updated and im stuck with the plain Win2K theme...or if its the updates. It comes with the newest DirectX 9c. Tis All Pretty Good. Havent found any bugs yet. Cept that damned Tray Icon. It seems to have some better bandwidth features. Im connecting faster.

Overall: 9/10

I didnt like the length of the install. I seriously watched Super Troopers while doing it. Thats 1.5 hours. The tabbed browsing wasnt included in IE like I read. But thats okay. I dont use it anyways. I only use SlimBrowser for sites that require IE.

I hope this "review" has helped some people make the switch. But most people would just do it anyways.

I read the review and mine was almost the SAME EXACT THING. I had the same gripes as dreamland, (stupid security center tray icon). Instead of watching Super Troopers, I went to pick up my mom from work and went grocery shopping
. The overall installation time was 1 hr, 32 mins. The laptop I installed SP2 on is a P3 @ 800MHz, 512MB RAM w/Windows XP Pro.

A lot of things go quicker. Overall, this is the BEST THING any owner of Windows XP can do to their computer.

I give XP SP2 a rating of: 9/10 (it woulda been 10, if not for that TRAY ICON!)

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Open the security center > Change how security center alerts me (its on that "resources" list on the left) > Uncheck all 3 boxes and click "OK".

Walla, no more icon.

Also, did yall have a lot of stuff running in the background while installing it? I just installed it in 30 someodd minutes.

[Edited on 8-8-2004 by shidge.]

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by shidge.
Open the security center > Change how security center alerts me > Uncheck all 3 boxes and click "OK".

Walla, no more icon.

Also, did yall have a lot of stuff running in the background while installing it? I just installed it in 30 someodd minutes.

Yeah...Prophet informed me of that a while ago.

I had nothing running cept for my firewall and OnAccess Scanner. 2000+ Palomino is the part slowing me down. 384mb PC2700.

Im in the process of SlipStreaming it right now.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by shidge.
Open the security center > Change how security center alerts me (its on that "resources" list on the left) > Uncheck all 3 boxes and click "OK".

Walla, no more icon.

Yeah, I eventually figured that out. I sent a U2U to dreamland.

SP2 is working fine... here's a little schedule of how Microsoft will most likely release SP2...

TheInquirer.net - How Microsoft will eke out Windows XP SP2
AS WE REPORTED yesterday, a version of Windows XP service pack 2 is available for download on MSDN. It's a lotta download.

This, according to sources, is the schedule for rolling out the pack, which Microsoft hopes will stop everyone carping about lack of security and the like.

The software will appear in the MS download centre tomorrow, while a few customers will get the software on Tuesday as a critical update, using automatic update.

On the 25th of August, Microsoft will start making the software available as a critical update, while CD orders will also be accepted that day. If you've got a dial up connection, this may be the wise way to proceed.

The number of downloads will be limited to 2.5 million a day, until the 25th, when all hell will break loose on the servers.

Link: www.theinquirer.net...

Here's another link from TheInquirer.net about SP2 - www.theinquirer.net...

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

top topics

join