Question Regarding Comic Book Cartoons

page: 1

join

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   
I'm not an avid watcher of anime but as I understand it, the shows follow the stories of the manga they are based on. My question is why don't western cartoons follow the storylines of the comics? I understand that there is the issue that most comics have been running for many decades and they for the most part expect their readers to already be well learned in the mythology, while the cartoons have to introduce everything for new audiences, but I feel like there must be some way to compromise. I feel as though if the purpose of the cartoons are meant to attract the viewers to the comics then I think that they do a poor job. What if you grew up watching "X-Men Evolution" or "Teen Titans"? You would find a very different world in the comics then you expected.

I think that if there ever was a great opportunity to try this, it would be with DC's upcoming relaunch, or Marvel's still relatively new "Ultimate Marvel" world.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
I think part of the problem is that the comic books over here are usually running multiple story lines at once. It can get quite confusing at times.
A great example would be Spider-man. Just look at the sheer number of titles for that one character. Then you have to add in all the crossovers and god forbid we get into the whole Marvel "what if" universe. LOL
I agree that I would be happier to see more tv shows/ movies follow their comic book storylines a little closer but I think the fall back is they have to make it something the average consumer can jump into.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Eshel

Good point, I forget things like Wolverine being in every X-Men title, Avengers and his own solo adventures lol. I was thinking back to the 1990's X-Men animated series where some of the episodes would loosely resemble the comic book storylines, but they'd be condensed into 30 minutes or be a two-parter. I suppose also the comics aren't always consistent quality since they change writers over time.

new topics

join

Haters, Bigots, Partisan Trolls, Propaganda Hacks, Racists, and LOL-tards: Time To Move On.
read more: Community Announcement re: Decorum