It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CIA to begin operating armed drone aircraft over Yemen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
www.washingtonpost.com...

The CIA is expected to begin operating armed drone aircraft over Yemen, expanding the hunt for al-Qaeda operatives in a country where counter-terrorism efforts have been disrupted by political chaos, U.S. officials said.

The plan to move CIA-operated Predator and other unmanned aircraft into the region reflects a decision by President Obama that the al-Qaeda threat in Yemen has grown so serious that patrols by U.S. military drones are not enough.

Plus, a few days ago the news reported that more airstrikes have been conducted in Yemen recently (and still problably are going on). I would guess that we have already had drones flying over Yemen for awhile now....

U.S. officials said the CIA would operate alongside, and in close coordination with, the U.S. Joint Special Operations Command, which has been flying Predators and other remotely piloted planes over Yemen for much of the past year.

Yup, we have. I guess there's only 2 things Im getting from this article.

1 - We are adding more firepower to our conflict in Yemen.

2- We now have a "different legal authority" in bombing people there.....

Because it operates under different legal authorities than the military, the CIA may have greater latitude to carry out strikes if the political climate shifts in Yemen and cooperation with American forces is diminished or cut off.

Erm...I guess we are no longer operating under military law? Great. Even if Yemen cuts ties with the US, or somehow the military is prevented from attacking them.....our CIA will do it anyway.....What legal authorities does the CIA operate under anyways?

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
wow is all I have to say...

presidential war powers in action, which most Americans will be completely unaware of
edit on 14-6-2011 by kalisdad because: grammar

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

What legal authorities does the CIA operate under anyways?

Their own I guess..

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
This is the part that I really, really, really can't ever figure out. If there is a problem, let's say, in a hypothetical country, one that has some form of government. Let's call it "Smashganistan", what does the USA care if there are "al-Qaeda operatives" killing, bombing, and generally, fomenting hate and discontend there? If it's not happening in the USA or one of it' "protectorates", why get involved? If the al-Queada operatives aren't kiilling, maming or kiddnaping US citizens, who cares? I know I don't. Here's a thought, let's give the damn drones to the FBI and let them start using them to pick off the al-Queada operatives that are operating inside the USA and it's protectorates. How about that? that would work wouldn't it? I mean, terrorism is a law enforcement issue isn't it? Thats what the attorney general says anyway. And the FBI is a "law enforcement" agency isn't it? Great. Problem solved.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Oh joy, now think of when these drones are deployed by our local police and roam our neighborhoods.

Science Fiction becoming Science Fact / nightmarish totalitarian society.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Yea, I think this tittle should be "Drones, Coming To A City Near You". My question is when does it end for us as a nation to stop trying to save another and save ourselves?

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Oh, it's not sceince fiction. They're doing it right now already. You know WHO I'm talking about. But it just stands to reason that the USA can't escape the xenophobic, paranoid hysteria that is the entropy we call the human condition! Entropy, the hidden, less publicized truth that nothing can escape!

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Oh joy, now think of when these drones are deployed by our local police and roam our neighborhoods

I think theres already drones in our cities.

Drone may be coming to Miami-Dade

The Miami-Dade Police Department recently finalized a deal to buy a drone, which is an unmanned plane equipped with cameras

Im not sure if they have actually been "approved" yet, but I think they were already flying above the superbowl earlier

Arlington Police To Keep Aerial Drone For Surveillance

DALLAS - An unmanned drone may soon help Arlington, Texas police provide a watchful eye over the city. Grant money from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security brought the city's first unmanned drone for the Super Bowl, but Arlington hopes to put it to use full time.

Arlington is the only U.S. city to have been granted a license from the Federal Aviation Administration to fly unmanned aircraft over an urban area. "The idea is provide an extra level of public safety for the city of Arlington," City Councilman Robert Rivera said. "Anytime that we can utilize progressive methods to increase our level of public safety, that's what we're doing and that's what we're looking at."

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   
All this to keep the US puppet govt going in Yemen.

The worlds attitude toward the US Govt (and by proxy, the US Citizens) is going to drop further and further.

This means the citizens of the US will end up with less and less tourist destinations to safely go to.
They will end up trapped in the US due to the aggressive actions of Govt, Pentagon, State Dept, and CIA.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by CosmosKid

The underwear bomber came from Yemen if there blowing these terrorists away in foreign countries before they get to the US i think it's swell. I also would much rather see them use drones to target these people than send in conventional ground forces. But i believe you are correct, most Americans arent to concerned with whats happening in Yemen. Thats why the president has has such leeway in using the military. If there arent alot of troops coming home in pine boxes then the conflict barely registers with most Americans.

new topics

top topics

join