It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Major Result' on Sunspot Cycle to be Announced Tuesday

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Last week it was so hot I had to cut the sleeves off my t-shirt to work in the yard.
Today it's 67 degrees. Would a mini ice age mean such low temps in summer
or just a harsher winter, as we've seen here in Ohio the last two years?

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

increase in volcanic activity eh... interesting

Anyone have any idea why it affects space exploration? I may be being a bit slow here or have missed it but I'm not getting that bit...
edit on 14-6-2011 by doubledutch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by megabogie
Last week it was so hot I had to cut the sleeves off my t-shirt to work in the yard.
Today it's 67 degrees. Would a mini ice age mean such low temps in summer
or just a harsher winter, as we've seen here in Ohio the last two years?

This is what happened during the "year without summer":

In May 1816,[1] frost killed off most of the crops that had been planted, and on 4 June 1816, frosts were reported in Connecticut, and by the following day, most of New England was gripped by the cold front. On 6 June 1816, snow fell in Albany, New York, and Dennysville, Maine.[7] Nearly a foot (30 cm) of snow was observed in Quebec City in early June, with consequent additional loss of crops—most summer-growing plants have cell walls which rupture even in a mild frost. The result was regional malnutrition, starvation, epidemic, and increased mortality. In July and August, lake and river ice were observed as far south as Pennsylvania. Rapid, dramatic temperature swings were common, with temperatures sometimes reverting from normal or above-normal summer temperatures as high as 35 °C (95 °F) to near-freezing within hours.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
never a straight answer dont expect much. i will say our power grid is about to fail in a big way from solar activity. get prepared and find emergency lanterns or solar lanterns if you can afford them. they wont tell us whats really going on. the earth is changing density going from 3rd to 5th density. they say global warming eegggghhhh! wrong answer!! the conrollers want to be in charge forever and tax us to breathe air next...

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
This doesn't mean that the sun will be going Supernova any time soon, does it? Newbie here. Not familiar with Sun process except that it is a hot ball of gas.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by juleol

Thanks for the info. We have definately had big fluctuations here going from the 90's already and 2 days ago it dropped to 48 over night. I better do some research too. Thanks again.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by 12 stranded dna

I've always been interested in the claims of going from one density/vibration to a higher vibration. Whats the proof and proof of how it would effect sun/solar activity/ climate/etc? I wonder how the proof would fit in with our current conditions

But in response to the news of lower solar activity, I think that colder temps would affect crops and the yield. Volcanic activity was an interesting side effect. Earthquakes could possibly be tied in too because both earthquakes and volcanic activity result from interaction of plates and other fun stuff..but again it's pure speculation.

Is anybody out there knowledgeable on how this could affect everybody??? (in layman terms lol)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by HappyBunny

I spent Memorial Day week in Oregon and Northern California. The roses were no where near blooming for the Rose Festival and people were freaked out they had what they say is the latest start to summer weather in their history. It was ten degrees cooler than here in Anchorage and I regretted my choice of places to travel.

The coastal towns were in panic mode due to empty Hotels and beaches. It did finally go to normal on the last couple of days, so I did manage a sunburn. My aspirations to do a photo-shoot of the coast highway was a near failure however. You can only take so many under-lit photo's before you put your camera away and head for the Hotel Lounge.

It was worth it though as my Wife came away from her first trip to the giant Redwoods with a new phobia of giant trees falling on her.

Just seeing the impact of one bad spring nearly destroying the economies of the tourist dependent coastal towns, made it clear how these weather changes will impact many squarely in their bank accounts. That combined with the non-Recession we are in is about to turn these tourist towns into ghost towns. Ironically though business is booming in the same industry here in Alaska. I'd better not go into why that is
Shhhhhh, don't want to upset the apple cart by pointing out the joys of small government and no income taxes. Best not to go there.

I see today's new fear is also the planned rolling blackouts to prepare for the giant solar flares that are not going to happen. Science and Government are out of sync for the moment.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Last year in Western Washington we literally had about 3 weeks total of nice weather (not consecutive, mind you, but total). As of today, we've maybe had 5 legitimately nice days and it's june 14th. Ten years ago it was nice from late april until mid august with a cloudy/rainy day once a week or so, and pure bliss from the fourth of july to early august.

I guess we'll see how it shapes up this year!

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
reply to post by HappyBunny

I spent Memorial Day week in Oregon and Northern California. The roses were no where near blooming for the Rose Festival and people were freaked out they had what they say is the latest start to summer weather in their history. It was ten degrees cooler than here in Anchorage and I regretted my choice of places to travel.

The coastal towns were in panic mode due to empty Hotels and beaches. It did finally go to normal on the last couple of days, so I did manage a sunburn. My aspirations to do a photo-shoot of the coast highway was a near failure however. You can only take so many under-lit photo's before you put your camera away and head for the Hotel Lounge.

It was worth it though as my Wife came away from her first trip to the giant Redwoods with a new phobia of giant trees falling on her.

Just seeing the impact of one bad spring nearly destroying the economies of the tourist dependent coastal towns, made it clear how these weather changes will impact many squarely in their bank accounts. That combined with the non-Recession we are in is about to turn these tourist towns into ghost towns. Ironically though business is booming in the same industry here in Alaska. I'd better not go into why that is
Shhhhhh, don't want to upset the apple cart by pointing out the joys of small government and no income taxes. Best not to go there.

I see today's new fear is also the planned rolling blackouts to prepare for the giant solar flares that are not going to happen. Science and Government are out of sync for the moment.

I don't think it's giant solar flares that could effect us,although they could.The interstellar cloud that we are in could have dynamic effects even if we only had few CME.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I'm wondering why NASA doesn't have this news on their site yet.

If this is indeed what is going on with the sun, that would certainly put all the catastrophic solar flare in 2012 theories to bed, would it not?

Personally, if our climate gets colder, I for one will be happy.

Do any climate experts in here know roughly how long it would take for that to happen?

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

I'm an avid gardener and live in Northern IL. I would say that most of my plants are 2 to 3 weeks behind previous years growth.

Except my ferns who enjoy cool/damp, they are huge.

Last week we have a 30 degree swing in temps. One day 90+ and the next didn't break 70.

grumble grumble

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Just don't forget who is giving you this info....N- never A- a S- strait A- answer .....NASA.....

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by majesticgent

I don't have time to read through the entire article, but the quoted portion garners my utmost respect. If all science (and news, and religion) communicated so clearly, honestly, and humbly, there would be a better marriage between deists and atheists in our mutual pursuit of Truth (regardless of the conflicts resulting from our discordant conclusions). Biased and hidden data should be denounced in all its forms regarding intellectual training and value trading (meaning - all technical and social sciences, and humanities, including economics).

This news has brightened my day, even if it might darken our decade.
In any case, let us work together.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by semicolonsmile

Because NASA has become a political body, with people like James Hanson in power.

This shoots all of his "research" right square in the butt.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Like I said...its going to drop in the count of sunspot activity. A big drop...so this is definately going to shift some things around for us. BTW..when that M class flare hit us last week...for me it was last Wednesday.
We had a "Heat Burst" which was sent to my work place via teletype stating that our Air Force Base (Midwest) recorded a temperature spike from 82 degrees to 102 degrees within about a 15 minute time frame. Oh...and our power went out twice.

I am in a major city area and that was very strange.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonicInfinity
There has not been a single mention by NASA that these CMEs are causing earthquakes, volcanic activity, etc. Why would they start saying such things now?

They wont. Just watch... All of these major announcements always up only being major in the minds of the biggest scientists.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Helmkat

Sounds just like the weather here in Ohio. I'm an avid golfer although you can tell by my screen name my ability has yet to catch up with my enthusiasm. Anyway, it rained pretty much all of April and May, stayed cool during that time and destroyed the early season for the golf courses. My boyfriend plays on a league and they were cancelled 4 weeks in a row due to weather. It warmed up only to drop back down in the 60's this week. We've been laughing about global warming for 2 years now.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGWskeptic

Originally posted by semicolonsmile

Because NASA has become a political body, with people like James Hanson in power.

This shoots all of his "research" right square in the butt.

They have been following this solar cycle since 2006. Every time I hear of anything solar related, it comes from NASA. well, it comes from ATS but the source is usually NASA. or, such as in this case, space.com.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
guess ill just have to wait and see because of my understanding the solar max just began at the start of this year and we are talking a solar min already didnt we just get out of a lenghty 1. sometimes i just wonder if the weather we now know is the effects from the DOD boys playen with there toys putten holes in our protective layers of the atmosphere? but never the less we all are going to be challenged in the years to come.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join