It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Major Result' on Sunspot Cycle to be Announced Tuesday

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Version100

Point taken, and you're right they wouldn't tell us about the really big stuff, they want us ignorant of the piano that's about to fall on our heads.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I found this when researching this topic:

www.project.nsearch.com...

Europe and the US are going to do controlled power outages to conserve electricity in preparation for a solar storm.

I am not understanding how cutting our electricity now will save it for later (?) That part confused me so any of you brainiacs out there please explain!

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by sfdfd
reply to post by heineken

Wrong

Physics
en.wikipedia.org...
redictions3_strip.jpg
en.wikipedia.org...:800px-Sunspot_butterfly_with_graph.gif
en.wikipedia.org...

www.sciencephoto.com...
www.rhci.ca...

picasaweb.google.com...
journeytothestars.wordpress.com...
www.astronomy.com...

End is only begin,you use picture for max of 2001 end min of 2011 ..lol

the only thing wrong here are your links pal....many are not working

the 2001 pictures you posted are all after the cycle ended...June / November..

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/da7e4ad619cb.jpg[/atsimg]

you can see the time stamp...bottom left

edit on 14-6-2011 by heineken because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
This announcement isn't even made on the National Solar Observatory. I guess if I want to know what's really up I have to just call the observatory in Sunspot New Mexico.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by k21968

I may be wrong but what i got from that article was that a controlled shut down would occur if there were something coming so that the grid would be off when something hit so it wouldn't cause as much damage as it would to the grid if it were up and running.

I think this explains it a little better than the other article...
Telegraph
e dit on 14-6-2011 by WildWorld because: (no reason given)

Officials in Britain and the United States are preparing to make controlled power cuts to their national electricity supplies in response to a warning of a possible powerful solar storm hitting the Earth. In an interview with The Independent, Thomas Bogdan, director of the US Space Weather Prediction Centre, said that controlled power "outages" will protect the National Electricity Grids against damage which could take months or even years to repair should a large solar storm collide with the Earth without any precautions being taken.

edit on 14-6-2011 by WildWorld because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Why is it that these same people hang on every "announcement" from the same scientists, eagerly awaiting their beliefs to be validated by them?
Why is it that these same people cry "cover up!" when those announcements are all just boring sciencey stuff?

edit on 6/14/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Maybe it´s because some solar scientists have said, that 24th solar cycle could be damaging to our society and maybe because "major results" announcement sounds more important with this possibility?
I´m just interested, what they´re going to say. It doesn´t have to be doom, but I think we sould be prepared if something´s gonna affect us.
edit on 14-6-2011 by Amandla because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Finally I found this which lead me to this.

Tuesday, June 14

07:30 - 08:30, Breakfast/Poster viewing

08:30 - 09:20, Hale Prize Talk: H. Spruit, How the cycle does and does not work, (Chair: Habbal)

00:20 - 10:20, Session 5: Upper Atmosphere I, (Chair: Reeves)

09:20, Tarr, Calculating Energy Storage Due to Topological Changes in Emerging Active Region NOAA AR11112

09:35, Bradshaw, Radiative Signatures of the Coronal Heating and Cooling Cycle

09:50, Aschwanden, Temperature Analysis of Coronal Loop Cross-Sections: Monolithic vs. Nanoflare Heating

10:05, Long, Wavefront Expansion and Dispersion of Coronal Bright Fronts

10:20 - 11:00, Coffee & Posters

11:00 - 12:30, Session 6: Big Bear Solar Observatory, (Chair: Goode)

11:00, Goode, The New Solar Telescope in Big Bear

11:15, Yurchyshyn, Utilizing NST Data To Look For Connection Between Photospheric Dynamics And Small-scale Chromospheric Activity

11:30, Abramenko, New View on Quiet-Sun Photospheric Dynamics Offered by NST Data

11:45, Lim, NST and Photospheric Fine -scale Structures Indicating the Small Scale Flux Emergence in an Active Region

12:00, Andic, From Bright Points, Throughout The Substructures Of The Pore, To The Umbral Dots

12:15, Cao, Near-infrared Imaging Spectropolarimeter For The NST

12:30 - 22:00, Lunch & Excursions

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Amandla

I was interested to find out what the big announcement was going to be and if it would affect us here on Earth but...

the Great one has spoken and that's the end of that.
Everyone can go home now I suppose.
Nothing to see here people, move along, The Great One has spoken!!

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Is this it

www.space.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
According to space.com here is the annoucment.

Some unusual solar readings, including fading sunspots and weakening magnetic activity near the poles, could be indications that our sun is preparing to be less active in the coming years.

The results of three separate studies seem to show that even as the current sunspot cycle swells toward the solar maximum, the sun could be heading into a more-dormant period, with activity during the next 11-year sunspot cycle greatly reduced or even eliminated.

The results of the new studies were announced today (June 14) at the annual meeting of the solar physics division of the American Astronomical Society, which is being held this week at New Mexico State University in Las Cruces.

Entire Article

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by dude2k5
Is this it

www.space.com...

It appears so. So no solar maximum, but a solar minimum. Interesting...

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by dude2k5
Is this it

www.space.com...

"If we are right, this could be the last solar maximum we'll see for a few decades," Hill said. "That would affect everything from space exploration to Earth's climate."

This may or may not be doom n gloom but it's interesting none-the-less.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

"Cycle 24 started out late and slow and may not be strong enough to create a rush to the poles, indicating we'll see a very weak solar maximum in 2013, if at all," Altrock said. "If the rush to the poles fails to complete, this creates a tremendous dilemma for the theorists, as it would mean that Cycle 23's magnetic field will not completely disappear from the polar regions. … No one knows what the sun will do in that case."

If the models prove accurate and the trends continue, the implications could be far-reaching.

"If we are right, this could be the last solar maximum we'll see for a few decades," Hill said. "That would affect everything from space exploration to Earth's climate."

Source

Hmm. More speculation we'll just have to wait and see.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8653e97036fd.jpg[/atsimg]

"Aye Captain,,shields are at 68% ,, i canna do any more,,she quivering now,, the old girl,,",,,,ok.,,ok,, Spock?
Raised eyebrow (lol),",facinating, it seems too be made of pudding."

lol

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
So in other words everything that we have based our theories on relating to the sun, and following 11 year cycles could well be turned on its head, yowzers!

I like it when it all becomes so unpredictable

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
That is interesting.
The possibility of an extended period of low sunspot activity. Now we might be able to find out if the "little ice age" was related to the Maunder Miminum 400 years ago or whether it was caused by other influences.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
That is interesting.
The possibility of an extended period of low sunspot activity. Now we might be able to find out if the "little ice age" was related to the Maunder Miminum 400 years ago or whether it was caused by other influences.

Yes, I was just recently looking up the Maunder Minimum as I have never heard of it before, the mini-ice-age, yes.

The Maunder Minimum coincided with the middle - and coldest part - of the Little Ice Age, during which Europe and North America were subjected to bitterly cold winters. Whether there is a causal connection between low sunspot activity and cold winters has not been proven; however, lower earth temperatures have been observed during low sunspot activity.[3] The winter of 1708-09 was extremely cold.[4]
~Source

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by WildWorld

Thanks Wild World. I was afraid for a second I lost some brain cells, but your article made entirely more sense. Thank you for sharing and enlightening me. I hope that someone in power somewhere has a plan of action just in case. I would rather plan for the worst and it not happen than to be left in the dark (pun intended) if it does.

link   
What an idiotic article just released. It closes by saying the reduced activity could have far-reaching implications from communications to space travel, but then fails to offer in what ways anything might be affected. Tell a long joke, but then exclude the punch line?!?!?

link   
reply to post by Phage

Indeed...

Also means more cosmic particles over time will get through too, right?

edit on 14/6/11 by Chadwickus because: clarity

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join