It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Major Result' on Sunspot Cycle to be Announced Tuesday

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by heineken

When one looked at the body one had the impression that it must have suddenly fallen into an unexpected fissure in the ice, which it probably came across in its wanderings, and which may have been covered with a layer of plant-bearing mould.

Doesn't sound very conclusive to me... The entire quote is imagination and guess-work (hardly scientific) - therefore I wouldn't be so sure based on that article alone; it certainly isn't enough to change my views on the topic of flash freezing, for which I have read several articles and undertaken research myself on, pertaining to the possibility, and probability, that these things did actually occur.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

the problem with NASA is not that they are the on the bad side of story, i rather call it the tough part of the story...

for example..lets compare NASA's role with a mum hiding her illness , a cancer for this example, from her children.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by heineken

for example..lets compare NASA's role with a mum hiding her illness , a cancer for this example, from her children.

I get your point but bad example..
If NASA is lying then the "child" dies too..

Therefore they deserve to know.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
because we have to admit it...

we owe NASA a lot..more than any governmental agency...

i once also did this thread to thank them..

We live in great times!!!!

since I feel I cant thank them enough for me..a person from such a small island..can now access to live images of the Sun, to Hubble's incredible achievements, to have access in few years to Kepler's results..

but as i said...their role is quiet tough...its the only agency who got first hands on many important things of the universe that will ultimately effect me and my family..

Respect to NASA though (please dont hide things from us
)

edit on 15-6-2011 by heineken because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

true..i agree..we deserve to know

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

Tough scenario..

I'm lucky..I'm in southern Australia and if the worst happened I could drive 3000 miles North to almost the equator on a few days..

The lucky country, the only reason Oz isn't on my list of Med Island possible bug out holes is my worry about where the 2 billion Asians hanging around just to the North of you might want to go.

Luckily for me, as everyone Knows, God is an Englishman so I expect Elelenin to spin the UK or Canada down towards the equator next year, saving me loads of hassle decision wise.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Thepreye

Luckily for me, as everyone Knows, God is an Englishman

Maybe, but then maybe he was one of the smart ones and emigrated to Australia..

Who the heck likes an English winter? brrrrrrrrrrr

Edit: Oh and everyone knows Asians can't swim..

edit on 15-6-2011 by backinblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
reply to post by Thepreye

Luckily for me, as everyone Knows, God is an Englishman

Maybe, but then maybe he was one of the smart ones and emigrated to Australia..

ROFL, if I hadn't just put my mug down I'd be cleaning coffee off my keyboard not tapping on it now

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
forgive me if i missed it....

but where is a link to the official announcement.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by The Great Day

page 4

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Let the global cooling panic begin.
I found this article via the Fortean Times website.

Earth may be headed into a mini ice age within a decade

What may be the science story of the century is breaking this evening, as heavyweight US solar physicists announce that the Sun appears to be headed into a lengthy spell of low activity, which could mean that the Earth – far from facing a global warming problem – is actually headed into a mini Ice Age

This could have major implications for the Earth's climate. According to a statement issued by the NSO, announcing the research: An immediate question is whether this slowdown presages a second Maunder Minimum, a 70-year period with virtually no sunspots [which occurred] during 1645-1715.

So there you go with the buzz words, "problem, major implications", ect......

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by darius2025

Originally posted by amazing
So what is everyone's consensus here?

It seems to me that we "may" be heading for a mini ice age and perhaps one of longer duration. Can we really predict the sun that well though? If the prediction and announcement is true what does that mean? specifically---how does that effect space travel and climate? Is it possible that the earth is going to warm anyway and that space travel will not be effected?

I think it doesn't really matter either way. Anyone who will tell you they know for sure will have a 50/50 shot at it. I think the important thing here is that either way, the transition is going to take (at minimum) thousands of years. If they are 'paranoid' enough, maybe this will be the push they need for manned deep space missions. Afterall... we need to get off this bloody rock ASAP. I think that much, is clear.

Don't see it as an end... see it as a new beginning. At this point, I think humanity could use a do-over.

Transition does not always take thousands of years. From my understanding some transitions can happen practically overnight, like in decades......

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Solar cooling, volcanic activity.. there was a reason why woolly mammoths were frozen in place standing up still chewing cud. Sudden cooling can happen and does. When Mt Pinatubo went off the Earth cooled a few degrees globally, and that was one volcano. We have many big ones right now spitting ash into the atmosphere. So I would say that fast track global cooling is underway, but we'll know for sure if more volcanoes go off because I think the Earth and Sun react together when the Sun changes so does the Earth.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Ah, *here* it is. The Announcement.

Over on my thread, I began a topic on it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I read on my wednesday Yahoo news that the Announcement is that "they" think that the sunspot cycle will not only be a "bust" but that there could be NO sunspots for years and years and years, like 50 to 70 ot more years!

THE LITTLE ICE AGE!!

that is Big News!

news.yahoo.com...

Experts are now probing whether this period of inactivity could be a second Maunder Minimum, which was a 70-year period when hardly any sunspots were observed between 1645-1715, a period known as the "Little Ice Age."

"If we are right, this could be the last solar maximum we'll see for a few decades. That would affect everything from space exploration to Earth's climate," said Hill.

you knew this didn't you? that when ever all the experts agree totally on something, RUN the other way and do the opposite!! [global warming!]

Time to chill out and watch the Russia, canada, North Europe try to deal with no food crops, by 2020, and then they rattle their nuclear missile sabers at the countries with food!

freestone

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
A "mini ice age," really? Can anyone get this climate change thing right? First it was global warming, but as temperatures were going down, it was global cooling and as it starting rising,they decided to rename it 'climate change' so they can win either side of the argument. I don't believe one second of this "mini ice age" BS.

Hurry everyone! Buy gas-guzzling vehicles and let's start sending up those emissions to alter the earth's temperature! Up yours Al Gore!

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by freestonew

Although apparently, those greenhouse gases are more powerful than the sun's impact, when you read this part...

The temperature change associated with any reduction in sunspot activity would likely be minimal and may not be enough to offset the impact of greenhouse gases on global warming, according to scientists who have published recent papers on the topic.

I am so gonna quote these quacks, should the opposite become reality !

Source
edit on 15-6-2011 by solargeddon because: Full or ful ? who knows

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Okay, to summarize this announcement in layman terms here are a few of facts to chew on:

Fact #1: Scientists have now theorized that our sun will most likely go into a prolonged extended period (possibly a few decades) of a deep solar minimum (fewer sunspots).

Fact #2: Scientists understand that this will have an effect on the energy exchanges between the sun and our planet (and every other planet in our solar system).

Fact #3: With this anouncement, scientists will not put forth speculation, assumption, or prediction on what may or may not happen as a result of fact #2 for the simple reason that they just don't know. They do not understand enough at this time, nor do they have enough scientifically endorsed historical data to even attempt to do so at this time.

If science can't be sure of anything right now, neither can we.

Correlation does not imply causation.

NASA (or any other astronomical society for that matter) is not "hiding" anything regarding this new data. If you've been paying attention to astronomers and astrophysicists for the past 20+ years, you would know this.

Albeit, as interesting as it is to speculate with the bits and pieces of data that we do have, please keep in mind that it's unscientific to try to actually assert any absolute conclusions from those bits. Let's have fun with the assumptions, but let's try to keep it real at the same time.

... and now back to our regularly scheduled program of "what if" scenarios...

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Weren't they predicting a period of increased sun activity recently?

science.nasa.gov...

Well, actually a low solar cycle that would peak in May 2013. We have been in a prolonged period of solar inactivity.

Now suddenly, they are saying the new solar cycle appears to already be slacking off, or showing signs that is will slack off, and so we might be entering a period of low solar activity. It seems that it is quite the guessing game.

Then again, this could be the calm before the storm.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by darius2025

Originally posted by amazing
So what is everyone's consensus here?

It seems to me that we "may" be heading for a mini ice age and perhaps one of longer duration. Can we really predict the sun that well though? If the prediction and announcement is true what does that mean? specifically---how does that effect space travel and climate? Is it possible that the earth is going to warm anyway and that space travel will not be effected?

I think it doesn't really matter either way. Anyone who will tell you they know for sure will have a 50/50 shot at it. I think the important thing here is that either way, the transition is going to take (at minimum) thousands of years. If they are 'paranoid' enough, maybe this will be the push they need for manned deep space missions. Afterall... we need to get off this bloody rock ASAP. I think that much, is clear.

Don't see it as an end... see it as a new beginning. At this point, I think humanity could use a do-over.

Here's an article just out today that kind of overthrows the "thousands of years to freeze" idea.

news.brown.edu...

Climate helped drive the Vikings from Greenland...

Which we already knew, but what the research shows is that climate shifts can happen in decades, not millenia. And sometimes it's not the speed but the depth of the cooling. I saw a chart awhile back, not unlike the ice core one posted here, that shows Tmin and Tmax for the last 3 million years. The one thing that stands out is that while the maximum temperature never really goes above a certain threshold, the lower end of the spectrum just keeps getting colder and colder and colder. Each of the last 3 interstadials/interglacials was colder than the last, and each of the last 3 ice ages was colder than the last.

I'll see if I can dig it up. It was a long time ago and I have no idea where it came from, but that always stuck with me.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

Weren't they predicting a period of increased sun activity recently?

Yeah, they've revised it like 3 or 4 times in the last 2 years, and it's still wrong.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join