It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vertigo Anyone?? - Airbus Unveils Flying in 2050 Concept -

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I have to say a see-though cabin would kind of make me nervous in a plane. It brings a whole new persepctive to the old saying ''dont look down''

See-through planes and holographic games: Airbus unveils flying in 2050

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6e65d15077d5.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b03b671f865d.jpg[/atsimg]

NOW this is one flight worth waiting for.

Airbus has released details of its "cabin of the future" design, which it hopes to make real by 2050.

The new plane has an extraordinary see-through cabin, which will open up the skies - and cities and landscapes thousands of feet below - to passengers.

The "intelligent" wall membrane of the cabin becomes transparent at the wave of a hand and could also change according to light conditions.

Holographic pop-up gaming displays and in-flight entertainment will be powered by the heat of passengers’ bodies.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f259b5356257.jpg[/atsimg]

Full News Article (news.com.au)

Looks like fun but i would hate to have a fear of heights! What stood out to me was the ''intelligent wall membrane'' that becomes transparent after waving your hand in front of it
ahh i cant wait for the future, it's seems technology will be getting more fun and interactive!

More detail from Airbus on the concept plane of the future.

edit on 14-6-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Airbus: Bringing a whole new fear of flying to the general population.

Sounds like a hit. When you cant design a plane that can make it from point A to point B, design a plane that has so many bells and whistles you will be awestruck on the way to your death.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by SlyingFaucers

Couldn't agree more. Please, Airbus for the love of God, just get me from A to B alive and without sexual harassment by the TSA.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
The new "Home of the Future" at Anaheim Disneyland features windows that change from heavily frosted (Like a bathroom) to crystal clear with the push of a button. The operators there told me that everything on display is available in the consumer market today, including that window technology. I suppose if they can do that today then changing other materials from solid to clear for looking through is not the least bit unrealistic to see. On a plane, I'd imagine strength of the material is the real obstacle from being able to at least partially accomplish it today.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Yeah ive seen those windows, they're cool!!

I think they have been around for awhile but still quite expensive for the everyday consumer. I cant remember of the top of my head how it works but i think an electrical charge or field runs through the glass and somehow interacts with crystals or liquid crystals... i might be wrong though.

On the Airbus video they mention the transparent material being organic and made from plant materials.

ahh here it is - Smartglass

edit on 14-6-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
2050? 2050?? Airbus, what is wrong with you. Buy the year 2050, if I were still around then, I would expect that you would be beyond the "airplane" by then and into the "exoatmosphereric personal travel transport" the EPTT for short. Didn't you guys get the memo? Airplanes? What the hell is that? I would hope that by 2050 people will be saying "what's an airliner?" like people say "what's a floppy disk?" today!

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

I think they have been around for awhile but still quite expensive for the everyday consumer. I cant remember of the top of my head how it works but i think an electrical charge or field runs through the glass and somehow interacts with crystals or liquid crystals... i might be wrong though.

It works pretty much the same way in which games that have liquid crystal displays in them work, In the games there are predesignated arias where the screen changes, or darkens when a charge is added and clears once the charge is removed. The glass works in a similar way, when no electrical supply is added to the glass it is clear, when the electrical charge is added the glass darkens.

As far as the plane technology goes, I would think that they would need much stronger material to withstand the strains of flight.

As far as the other poster saying that we should be beyond the need for airplanes in 40 years, though we have advanced in the past 40 years, I don't see us evolving to a point in 40 years where airplanes are a thing of the past.
Air transport is too big an industry, unless private parties with allot big supporters come along, I don't see it changing anytime soon. Just look at the private companies trying to bring space to the general public, it just costs too much, eventually they may get the cost down, but I think that would take at least a hundred years, not just a couple decades.
I could be wrong, and would love to be, but the pessimist side of me can't but help to see things this way.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
No worries, by 2050 everyone will be so heavily dosed with Prozac
it'll be laughs all the way to the crash site.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Could be interesting if you were near the Northern/Southern lights or during the perseid meteor shower I think.
Other than that I think seeing the clouds/stars pass over head would probably just help me puke quicker-and I need no help puking on flights thank you,I actually have that sussed already.

And virtual golf??
Big deal...I tell you what-I'll play virtual anything on a plane once you invent and implement inertial dampeners on all planes.
Until then,no computer games for me or more puke on your plane sorry.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
This is wonderful! I especially look forward to spending some time in the front part of the plane. I'm sure there will be some breathtaking views! I hope this concept turns into reality. It would make my journey much more exciting. I can't wait!

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
How about building an airplane that doesn't crash? Now *that* would be progress.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
To bad the price of ticket will be 10,000...will there even be dollars? Will there be fuel for the planes and healthy people to fly?

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Holy cow, Bat Man...now we know who stole
the designs for Wonder Woman's invisible plane...

If we are still dealing with such archaic thoughts and ideas in 2050...

I would hope we would be a lot further advanced than what Airbus is showing us.
Personally, I think all this is for entertainment purposes of the masses...they are appealing
to those out there who have fledgling thoughts of where our scientific and mechanical advances
have taken us.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
and by the year 2000 we were going to have flying cars and highways in the sky.

Wonder how many people will be without food and water by 2050?

Let's see..
Today, 1 in 8 people don't have water to drink.. currently at around 7 Billion humans...
By 2050, The worlds population will be around 9 to 11 Billion... (closer to 11 at the rate we're going)

I honestly don't care to see any new, awesome technology like this until we figure out how to take care of ALL of our own people. (or learn how to actually give a $%^# about them) . I don't think figuring it out would be much of a challenge at all..
It's just getting everyone "with" to pull their heads out of their asses and care about everyone else 'without".,

Then we should focus on this kind of thing.

Until then..
I really, truly, don't care.

sorry for being the stickler on this one. lol

top topics

join