It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-THREATS: NZ All Blacks Al Qaeda Target

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 09:14 PM
link   
It seems terrorism is now touching New Zealand too with a report that Al Qaeda is targetting the Ellis Park Stadium in Johannesburg, South Africa when NZ's rugby team plays there this coming weekend.

www.stuff.co.nz
The Johannesburg stadium set to host the All Blacks match against the Springboks next Saturday has been named as the target of an al Qaeda terrorism attack.

Security has been beefed up at Ellis Park Stadium, with 800 guards, police and soldiers expected to patrol during the match. Sniffer dogs are being brought in on a daily basis and a security "dry run" was held at the stadium overnight.
The Carlton Centre, Johannesburg Stock Exchange and Ellis Park Stadium; parliament and the V&A Waterfront in Cape Town; and the Union Buildings, the US embassy and the Sheraton Hotel in Pretoria, were named as al Qaeda targets.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It now seems that absolutely every public gathering, anywhere in the world could be a target. It would be an enormous shame if the match could not proceed.

[edit on 8-7-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Well, that is the thing about the terrorists. They can strike anywhere. Whether it is a peewee football game, shopping mall, or almost any event.
It is a shame that they innocent are the targets.... I hope the world straightens itself out some day.

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Well, New Zealand did it's part to help with the war on terror in Afganistan, unfortunately, that makes them an equal opportunity target.

cfrterrorism.org...

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   
NZSAS was involved in hostilities in Afghanistan...and our guys are still active in Iraq as well...so yup, we've got our heads on the block too. Not as much as other countries of course...but I guess its just our turn to come under the gun.

Actually pity the fools if they did attack the ABs...we lost to Aussie last night in the Rugby, and the boys are bound to be pretty steamed up about it...so some Al Qaeda chump might get a taste of this:

All Black, Kevin Mealamu...having a wee 'discussion' with an Aussie player

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I doubt the terrorists would bother brawling your football team. So I don't think those fists will be of much use against explosives or bullets.

Makes you wonder whether this is some how linked with the recent arrest of Israeli spies trying to aquire fake New Zealand passports, and the subsequent diplomatic standoff that has occurred between the two countries. Made me wonder whether NZ might be on the receiving end of a "terrorist" threat as a result. Bring them back in line a little...

hmm.

top topics

join