It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ignorant......Really?....Do we have to call people ignorant?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
Who acting IGNANT?

Star I am still laughing at this one liner.

Just a general note here. I am mainly replying to the people that are on ATS right now. I pretty much agree with all of what everybody has to say. Stars for your thoughts, opinions, and laughs.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv
But really I get the more out of just saying I am ignorant myself...saves my feelings from getting hurt when someone else says it.

I guess that sums it up there..

Just kidding .........good times on this rant.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Nope haven't been called ignorant yet, although, I have been called a moron
. Funny thing is, I am, in fact quite ignorant on a lot of topics, I am aware of it, and I'm learning.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
If you use the word ignorant correctly. In that another poster is clearly lacking facts or knowledge on a subject. I don't see the problem.

I do think it is probably often misused as an insult.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I had one member u2u me and tell me how ignorant I was. The funny thing was his lack of grammar.

I really think I put a dent in this members pride or something.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Everybody is ignorant about plenty in this life. Therefore to tell someone that they are ignorant as a means of insulting them or comparing them to yourself or any other person is in and of itself, ignorant! You could inform someone that you believe them to be ignorant of a particular group of data that you happened to have come across during your life that they perhaps did not, and then you could proceed to offer to pass along said information with the understanding by both parties that the info being offered is to be trusted at the discretion of the person receiving the information and there are no guarantees, ever. But I find that even in this format the word ignorant is a redundancy. It's not necessary to inform another person that they are not all-aware.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Ignorant=ignore rant

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I call people ignorant because they're wrong and because they need to learn how to actually think.

Now I'm sure a hundred thousand people will sigh and go "Really? How arrogant of you! Opinions are just that!" but that's not true at all. Given a discussion point and contrary opinions, some of those opinions are closer to the truth and evidence than others and hence there are inevitably opinions that are "more right."

Now we get to the point where "what is valid evidence?" becomes a valid question and at that point society has given us a very useful set of analytical tools that are not found in the gut or the emotions, but based largely in inductive reasoning and the scientific method. Make observations, hear the perspectives and evidence, challenge the sources' biases, work your way around to the conclusion while seeing others' conclusions and how they arrived at their conclusions (if different, how can they be resolved? did you miss something? did they miss something? are you wrong perhaps?).

Furthermore psychology and formal logic have given us the tools for analysis of our thought processes, heuristic and cognitive biases, evidentiary techniques, and fallacies we might engage in.

The summation of these create an opinion that is usually substantiated by significant evidence and critical thought.

Hence when you disagree with me on an issue that I have studied in depth and researched heavily and then post paragraphs on and you play into some emotional, reverse scientific method, fallacious, stereotypical diatribe, I know I'm right and I know you're wrong (and likely stupid...which is okay, given most people in the world are).

Now I'll admit when I don't know enough about the issue to make a valid conclusion. I'll acknowledge valid points. I have even changed my paradigm completely on topics in a matter of months (for example I went from truther camp to "OMG not another truther" camp). So when I encounter rigidity, resistance of change, etc. I immediately am reinforced in my rightness.

Now that still probably sounds very arrogant and it's supposed to. Because the truth is I probably do know more than you for a variety of reasons that I will not even approach in this thread. But nevertheless, I admit I don't know nearly everything and I am open to learn.

However be sure, there is truth in the statement "ignorance is bliss." Confronting reality with your fantasies is a lot harder than confronting reality in a manner impartial as possible.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

When someone displays a lack of understanding on a subject, they're ignorant. It's that simple. It's a descriptive term. We're all ignorant about something.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
sorry

edit on 14-6-2011 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
liejunkie what makes you think I'm referencing you at all?

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evanescence
liejunkie what makes you think I'm referencing you at all?

I counted (you) and (your) in your reply about seventy times...

I am exteremely tired. I have been stressed out about this darn union job, I just went and peed in the cup. I am extremely stressed sorry. I misunderstood your post.lol

It looks like I need to edit my post above sorry.

ETA: At least I didn't have a breakdown of logical thought......A sudden burst of retalitory adrenaline..

Time to go smoke.
edit on 14-6-2011 by liejunkie01 because: ETA

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Name-calling is considered a personal attack under the Terms & Conditions, and is actionable.
If you see it, feel free to point it out, and a Mod can step in.

We're here for civilized discussion and debate, not bashing. Granted, we typically don't action mild offenses of name-calling, but if it is making a member uncomfortable, then it has certainly increased in severity.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
Who acting IGNANT?

- That's funny. Thanks for the laugh.

I think some people just name call, because they can. I've often times disagreed with someone but always try to keep it civil as much as possible. Sometimes it easy to get a little carried away though, I suppose. We all have a bad day sometimes.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Thanks for that moderated reply Gaz.lol

I have only reported someone once and I believe I was mistaken.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I don't mind so much being called "ignorant" as long as it's the corerct word. There's no doubt that there are a lot of subjects that I am ignorant about.

There was a sign in my high school's wood shop which I have remembered always:
"Ignorance can be cured, Stupid is forever"

Just seems like a good motto to me ... lol

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Eshel

"Ignorance can be cured, Stupid is forever"

Reminds me of the, "you can't fix stupid," saying.

I agree, but it seems that most of the time here on ATS people use the word maliciously.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I dont understand the problem people have with the word ignorant. Im ignorant, of many things in life, just as every person is. So, we dont like people telling us we are speaking of which we do not know? oh no, cry me a river. Everyone is ignorant, to varying degrees on a multitude of subjects and or topics. For instance, Im pretty darn ignorant on what makes the ocean tick. Sure, ive had a marine biology class (and scuba dive, and live a stones throw from the ocean), but that doesn't make me knowledgeable in the field of marine biology. I took a test and tried to retain all that i could, but in the end if i go walking around spouting things on marine biology, there is a good chance i will be erroneous in many things and therefore ignorant.

Instead of getting upset that you are ignorant, embrace it and learn that which you are ignorant about, if you really care to not be ignorant. I can guarantee you'll be learning for a lifetime. Or you could just limit your discusion to topics you have "hit the books" on yourself. And even then, learn to accept that your still probably wrong.

-Derst
edit on 14-6-2011 by derst1988 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZackMorris
You could inform someone that you believe them to be ignorant . . .

I like it.

I'm going to adopt that phrase.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evanescence
Really? How arrogant of you!

For sure.

We should start a thread on not calling people "arrogant"

<< 1    3 >>

join