It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yes, I know Rats are vermin, but - alternative removal/deterrents please!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I'm no eco -warrior but have a pesky varmit on my outer wall adjoining a neighbours garden. Other half fears he will eventually target her house (ours is brick) which is wood and cause chaos on the neighbours wires.

Tonight , I heard him 'thwack' a water meter as he went down his hole - big boy/girl - or at least very large tail... question is should we just cement that hole or will he/she burrow up alongside ?

Sure, Rat poison is the way to go .. but it can be agonizing - can't bear the thought of that , and yes, I know rat pee can be fatal ....help please !

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I use live catch and release cages near his trails or the opening.

Bait: Peanut Butter. They love it.

When you release, make sure you are a very long way from home as they have extensive trails outside the house that they can track back with their urine smells.

edit on 13-6-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by slidingdoor

You could always trap him humanely and drive him a great distance away. Reckon if you cement the hole he'll come up some place else.

If you see one there will be many more, though. They live in groups.

My mum had them in her garden for a long time and the neighbour resorted to poison in the end.

Yes and they do carry a disease in their urine which gardeners have caught here before.

Amazing animals, though. Incredibly intelligent.

Good luck with moving him out.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Reply to post by slidingdoor

uh...

how about the natural way?

rats were the big problem in the discoveries period, so cats started being kept in the ships.

thus why there are cats everywhere on the planet now..

the solution is more simple than poison or traps.

if jerry is bringing you a hard time, well thats why we keep tom around as a pet.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnotherYOU
Reply to post by slidingdoor

uh...

how about the natural way?

rats were the big problem in the discoveries period, so cats started being kept in the ships.

thus why there are cats everywhere on the planet now..

the solution is more simple than poison or traps.

if jerry is bringing you a hard time, well thats why we keep tom around as a pet.

That's funny!

Exactly what I did after I got tired of waiting to catch them all!

I hate cats but got one anyway. Started to love the little bugger and then my wife discovered that she had an allergy. Bye Bye Tom!

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
As odd as this may sound, a ferret will do the trick.

Now before all those eco-ATsers start bashing me, im not suggesting using the ferret to kill the rat. If you happen to know someone with a ferret, get them to put the ferret where you have seen the rat, long enough for it to mark that place with its scent (it shouldnt take long).

I promise you will never see that rat again, as soon as the rat gets the scent of a ferret it'll be off like a shot and probably wont return.

They'll even move their young away if the nest is near where the ferret has been.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Catch_a_Fire
As odd as this may sound, a ferret will do the trick.

Now before all those eco-ATsers start bashing me, im not suggesting using the ferret to kill the rat. If you happen to know someone with a ferret, get them to put the ferret where you have seen the rat, long enough for it to mark that place with its scent (it shouldnt take long).

I promise you will never see that rat again, as soon as the rat gets the scent of a ferret it'll be off like a shot and probably wont return.

They'll even move their young away if the nest is near where the ferret has been.

Ferrets are like Cops...never one around when you need one! lol

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Reply to post by jude11

im allergic to them aswell, its their saliva and since they lick themselves we get in contact with it easily.

but even being allergic to them i have had cats all my life.

all i have to do is just wash my hands after contact with a cat, years of exposure have reduced greatly any allergic symptoms.

still, poor tom, you could have gotten a new wife instead! lol

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
A cat or two will solve this problem. Unless you have a serious infestation, which in that case you probably have horrible living conditions which need to be changed. Can't really treat the symptoms for something like that.

Cats don't even need to hunt or kill rats. Them being around will just keep the rodents away, for the most part. Then they'll vacate to places where the cat doesn't hang out, like the attic, etc.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by AnotherYOU

You wouldnt have to touch it, you'd be better off letting the handler do the work as ferrets can get a little 'nippy' in unfamiliar smelling hands lol

As the late Richard Whiteley would have testified.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Your quite right, years ago every kid went through a ferret phase.

These days only the die hard ferret lovers seem to stick by them.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Reply to post by Catch_a_Fire

i was talking about cats and cat allergy due to their saliva.

i read your post about ferrets and yes they do work, but i still prefer cats.

they are mouse traps with personality.

now personality may vary, but even the most mellow cat is a natural when it comes to hunting.

the only diference is domestic cats wont usually eat what they catch, just kill it and toy around with it.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Reply to post by jude11

im allergic to them aswell, its their saliva and since they lick themselves we get in contact with it easily.

but even being allergic to them i have had cats all my life.

all i have to do is just wash my hands after contact with a cat, years of exposure have reduced greatly any allergic symptoms.

still, poor tom, you could have gotten a new wife instead! lol

Tried that but then I realized that the wife is already litter-box trained and can open her own cans of food so it was easier to keep her.

edit on 13-6-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by AnotherYOU

I see now.

I just cant bring myself to like cats (except the big ones), i have a neighbour who has a cat and its the most vicious thing your ever likely to meet, scares me more than any guard dog would

A cat would do the trick just fine though.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I used to live on a farm and had a corn silo outside of my living room window.

The rats would get all liquored up on the fermented corn at the bottom of the silo and would mass in drunken orgies about 50 yards from me. I'd make an evening sometimes of sitting in my living room with the window open and a twelve gauge propped on the back of my couch just blasting the snot out of those little buggers. This is when i was single of course.

If you live in the burbs though you might get in trouble with a twelve gauge...but an air soft gun would do

edit on 13-6-2011 by Gibbon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Well we have some very big mice. They are in the walls and basically they come in through a series of holes in this old rental, that we rented this for the 1/2 acre yard and gardens we're putting in, not the house.

Now, we are not using poison or traps. I bought a live cage which rarely catches a mouse. My son is blocking these holes with tape and keeping them blocked up whereever he finds them.

And he is a ninja I wake up with 4 mice in the little cage. He blocks them off with cardboard and then catches them with a big coffee can and lid.

We've released over 30 across town near a creek and bushes. The sad part was, when I was driving home one day an image of a very happy fox, thanking me,came to mind.
edit on 13-6-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-6-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Just kill it.

They bring nothing to the table and spread disease. If you catch and release it will most likely becomes someone elses problem.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Reply to post by Unity_99

dont feel bad for that fox, or the mice even.

its not inhumane when animals prey on eachother, its just nature.

and rats are anything but an endangered species.

rats are only usefull as the ones to follow if S happens to hit fan.

they have a thing for escaping danger, thats why as mentioned here, most rats will relocate if a predator is introduced.

they dont sit around wainting to get hunted.

and shooting them is a waste of ammo.

as much ammo we may have, there are more rats guaranteed.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Reply to post by Unity_99

as much ammo we may have, there are more rats guaranteed.

That's the beauty of it....clay pigeons and targets cost money, but rats just keep showing up for free.
edit on 13-6-2011 by Gibbon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I had a friend who kept a 5ft Eastern Diamondback rattlesnake in a cage behind his tool shed(true story).If anyone or anything moved in the yard,that thing went off wit his rattles.He had no rodents,small animal varmints(armadillos,coons,possum,etc)or much of any sort of pests,even though he lives in a deep rural area. He had it for 8 or 9 years with never any trouble.He didnt play with it or allow anyone else to tease or bother it.,I always figured that was a good pairing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join