It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid Vesta comes into focus , Ceres Next

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
In what I believe is a pretty stunning achievement the The Dawn spacecraft has sent back the first clear image of the Vesta , the 530km-wide protoplanet which orbits in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter.
The satellite will spend 12 months at Vesta before moving on to Ceres , the largest object in the asteroid belt.

Dr Andreas Nathues from the Max Planck Institute for Solar System Research says they will have " five times Hubble resolution by the beginning of July,"
Cant wait for that , they should be stunning images .

Ceres and Vesta will make for interesting subjects. They are both evolved bodies - objects that have heated up and started to separate into distinct layers.

In the case of Vesta, telescopes have spied evidence for the eruption of lava (basalt) on its surface. "The goal is to acquire the first colour pictures of Vesta in early July," said Dr Nathues. "We will go into three different kinds of orbits and the last of these will be about 200km in height from the surface. The best resolution at that stage will be about 20m per pixel."
www.bbc.co.uk...

edit on 13-6-2011 by gortex because: Edit to add

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by gortex
The Dawn spacecraft has sent back the first clear image

And a small video...
JPL

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

That's pretty cool. I'm curious though as to how you would fly a spacecraft into the asteriod belt and not expect to get pummeled by rocks.

Hope it doesn't happen though, I want to see those pics too.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I think most of the asteroids are spread very far apart, like miles and miles apart.
edit on 13-6-2011 by tooo many pills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
You come in from above or below the ring of asteroids.....

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by alfa1

That's pretty cool. I'm curious though as to how you would fly a spacecraft into the asteriod belt and not expect to get pummeled by rocks.

Hope it doesn't happen though, I want to see those pics too.

its an amazing achievement and another step for our civilization... Although we still have a long way to go..

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
www.universetoday.com... ng-in-to-view/

Video of Vesta coming into view

Unknown dark mass on equator? Speculation anyone?
edit on 13-6-2011 by Al E. Inn because: update

Vesta is coming into view of the Dawn spacecraft and this video shows surface details just beginning to resolve as Dawn gets closer to its first destination. The images were obtained on June 1st and show, for the first time, a dark feature with a diameter of approximately 100 kilometers near the asteroid’s equator. “We won’t know what this dark spot is for a few weeks, when we have come a bit closer to the asteroid” said Dr. Vishnu Reddy and Dr. Lucille Le Corre from Max Planck Institute for Solar System Research (MPS) in Germany. Both scientists analyzed the data received from the Dawn framing camera.

Older images taken by NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope had revealed a similar structure. Visible are Vesta’s jagged shape (created by repeated impacts) and variations in surface brightness. Vesta’s south pole is to the lower right at about the 5 o’clock position.

The video shows 20 frames, looped five times, that span a 30-minute period. During that time, Vesta rotates about 30 degrees. The images included here are used by navigators to fine-tune Dawn’s trajectory during its approach to Vesta, with arrival expected on July 16, 2011.

Dawn’s framing camera obtaied the images from a distance of about 483,000 kilometers (300,000 miles).

Vesta is 530 kilometers (330 miles) in diameter and the second most massive object in the asteroid belt. It is also the only large asteroid with a basaltic surface formed due to volcanic processes early in the solar system’s history. Vesta is considered a protoplanet because it is a large body that almost formed into a planet.
edit on 13-6-2011 by Al E. Inn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
This asteroid mission to Vesta and Ceres got me thinking about the asteroid 99942 Apophis, which is suppose to make a very close pass by the Earth in 2029 and 2036, and if they are going to study it in detail like they are with these two.

The SpaceWorks Engineering company is going to launch a mission named 'Foresight' around 2012 that will observe and track 99942 Apophis for nearly a year. The ESA is also looking to send a probe to it as well.

Also, NASA has submitted proposals (gravitational tractor, kinetic impact, and nuclear bomb methods) to deflect the asteroid if it just happens to be on a collison course with Earth. So good news, they aren't leaving us in the dark.

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 13-6-2011 by tooo many pills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by tooo many pills

But don't their trajectories change as they bump and grind over time. Does the spacecraft have something like terrain avoidance radar?

By the way, I hate your avatar. I live there!

Actually it does look cool, I'm self teaching myself Photoshop and am still in the stick figure stage.

So much to learn, so little time.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   

You come in from above or below the ring of asteroids.....

The asteroid belt is NOTHING LIKE the asteroid belts that you see in Star Wars or other movies. It isn't a massive ring of boulders with very little space between them. Most of them (even the smallest ones) are thousands of miles apart.
edit on 14-6-2011 by Mogget because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
EDIT.....Double post
edit on 14-6-2011 by Mogget because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Hey everyone. I've looked up and down on this site for more info about the Dawn mission, even looked around the NASA site too and other sites. The latest picture they've taken was apparently on July 18, 2011 (edit from July 16th) from 10500 km (edit from 15,000 kilometers) Here's the link:

dawn.jpl.nasa.gov...

2 days earlier, on the 16th, it was 15000km, so that's pretty good progress.

I read this quote from BBC news:
"We will go into three different kinds of orbits and the last of these will be about 200km in height from the surface. The best resolution at that stage will be about 20m per pixel."

I'm stocked to see those 200km height photos, but has anyone found out when they will be taking the next pictures that are going to be closer then 10 thousand kilometers away ?

Thanks everyone, and I hope they find some crazy stuff, but probably not.

edit on (2011/7/23 by tomidatigga because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
unnesesary....

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Released today Vesta Rotation Movie .

NASA Science News Conference- Dawn Images of the Vesta Asteroid

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
thanks for the videos.

new topics

top topics