Cop Who Executed Oscar Grant Set Free at 12:01 This Morning After Serving 11 Months

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

The most surprising thing about that story is that he got any prison time at all.

Cops shoot unarmed people all the time and pay no consequence.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Nice sensationalism and fear mongering you have going on. The shooting was accidental, not intentional and the guy was not executed as you claim.

Nice try though.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
This is incredible. It's been said before but needs to be said again: Any normal person would be lucky not to get murder in the 1st, but because this guy's got a badge he gets 2 years? Adding insult to injury he gets out after only 11 months. Personally, I'm surprised the cops even made it off the train platform alive. I think if he shows his face anywhere in the area he's gonna get a little eye for an eye and maybe that's what he deserves. I certainly won't cry for him if it happens that way.

ETA: I've never held a tazer myself but like someone else said you would think there would be a weight difference between the two. And as a cop, they better be damn sure they know what they are shooting people with. They should be held to a higher standard than a regular citizen.
edit on 6/13/11 by thov420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by thov420

So you arent familiar with the various tools law enforcement uses, yet you speak as an expert on the topic and want the cop punished even more?

He was not charged with murder for very obvious reasons - there was no intent to kill the person. The cop was charged with involuntary manslaughter because the death was accidental.

As for the ignorant comments about the cops not making it off the platform.. Do you actually read what you type? A cop accidentally kills a person, pissing you off to the extent that you want to see the cops dead?

Yeah, that makes sense..

If you dont like what he was charged with, and dont care for the sentence received, then maybe you should learn how the government works and take it out on the responsible parties -

Let me help youL
Prosecuting Attorny who filed the charges and prosecuted the case
The Judge - Responsible for sentencing the officer.

The cops had nothing to do with what this officer was charged with or the sentence he received.

As far as a Taser goes.. There is a reason its designe the way it is. Its called muscle memory. In a high stress situation, and contrary to popular belief, we dont rise to the occasion, we fall back to our level of training. In addition to auditory and visual exclusion, you also lose fine motor control of muscles, falling back to gross motor control.

This is why a Taser is designed the way it is. This is not the first time an officer has drawn a duty weapon instead of their Taser and discharged a round. This is also one of the major reasons that departments who utilise a Taser require a cross draw instead of it being duty weapon side dominant.

I have no issues with people criticising what occured, but the very least some of you guys can do is learn a little bit about law enforcement before making comments.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Couldn't agree more.

Please respect the fact that until you wear a belt and have a firearm, taser, radio, pepper spray, baton, radio, keys, flashlight, rubber gloves, and many more things on your bat-belt that you don't know how it would be to have to draw either a taser or a firearm in the heat of the moment. Now, I'm not saying that he would have accidentally pulled his rubber gloves over another item, but I can tell you from first hand experience that this is the exact reason why cross drawing is paramount when dealing with the taser.

It is possible that this officer is telling nothing less than the truth that he pulled his firearm thinking it was a taser. It is possible that the officer is just covering up for his mistake. If it is the latter, he served time based off of a poor decision that cost someone their life AND he will deal with that fact for every waking moment for the rest of his life. If I were in his shoes (thankfully I am not) the sentence of dealing with that for the rest of my life would best any jail in the country.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deebo
This is a very hard one for me to make a decision on, with the whole "thought my gun was a tazer".. I don't buy that really since a tazer (very light) and a gun (heavier) should be noticeable. I don't know, but I am sure having 100 ghetto turds screaming in the background didn't help set the mood and tensions either. This seems like one of those cases where we will never know the true intentions of the officer. Just not enough there to make a determination.

Deebo

First, those "ghetto turds" are human beings who had to watch a man being murdered in cold blood, anyone who wasn't screaming is a turd. They could have easily overpowered the group of "officers" but believe it or not they have families and jobs and common sense. I did not see a single ghetto turd fire a shot, however I did see a suburban cockroach fire one.
As for the intentions of the officer, he grabbed a weapon and pointed it at a man who was face down and in no position to harm him, that simple act alone qualifies as depraved indiference. He fired his weapon at the victim while he was face down and unable to defend himself, his intention was to harm the victim.
Claiming he thought it was his taser is so incredibly reckless and stupid it boggles the mind.
One can only hope the next time he reaches for a Q tip to clean the wax from his ears he makes the same mistake.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Shot in the back of the head??!?! EXECUTED??? When the hell did those become part of the story? He was shot in the back when the cop's gun was mistaken for his Tazer. Which only occurred because Grant was resisting and was reaching his hands toward his wait band. The cop was in custody the entire time during the trial and was found guilty of manslaughter by a jury. His sentence 2 years one years worth of credit time served for staying in custody during the trial and the good behavior credits that any and all inmates receive in CA. The only reason he wouldn't get good time work time credits if he had lost them due to his actions while serving his sentence in custody.

It's BS for people to go down the road of "Well if this was another person like you or me, they'd lock us up!" because the fight that occurred on BART that night would not have been handled by you or me but by cops whose job it is to respond to the instances. People think this guy intentionally wanted to kill Oscar Grant and if that was so then murder would've been the correct statute to convict him.

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
reply to post by jude11

Cry me a river, it all started over a fight, he was resisting, funny, the stuff the thug does is never mentioned, just the outcome. The crowd stirred it up as well, and what paragons of virtue they were as well, one more dead noit being supported by State U. I agree, the cop should have done more time, I have no use for them either, however, for every thug life taken one more persons life won't be affected criminally.

I am so sick of seeing your posts everywhere. You're such a disgusting sociopath, and you never add anything of worth to any discussion you infect. Everything you say is abhorrent, violent, and sick.

Then you somehow claim to be standing on a morality pedestal of some form of perverted justice.

You really need a hobby my friend. It's pretty sad.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

reply to post by jude11

Cry me a river, it all started over a fight, he was resisting, funny, the stuff the thug does is never mentioned, just the outcome. The crowd stirred it up as well, and what paragons of virtue they were as well, one more dead noit being supported by State U. I agree, the cop should have done more time, I have no use for them either, however, for every thug life taken one more persons life won't be affected criminally.

Wow your post just reeks with typical "i'm not going to use racist words but still be a racist" flavor. So a black man fighting in the subway and handcuffed by cops and YOU IMMEDIATELY call him a Thug? A man is dead, murdered, and you bad-mouth his name with typical racist bullsh*t like calling him a thug and that he's on welfare? In that case, you are probably a piece of trash on welfare, and if you so happen to get shot by a real jack-booted Gestapo thug, i hope people give you the same treatment and dismissal.

People who say sh*t like that deserve to be punched in the face because its your mindset that is why this crap happens in the first place.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   

XCathadra,

I'm not saying that I want anyone to be hung for this but the officer certainly deserved a much harsher punishment. Yes muscle memory does kick in when you're faced with high adrenaline but if I recall correctly the "thug" as some have put it was shot in the head. Anyone who know ANYTHING about law enforcement is taught to shoot for stopping power only which is in the chest and even more so with tasers. If you shoot someone in the back of the head with a taser you can and will still cause enough trauma to the nervous system to cause hemorrhaging and other issues as well.

i.e. your muscle memory argument doesn't hold water here.

1. There is a quantitative difference in the weight and feel of a taser (he should have known immediately when he picked it up.)
2. He shot the kid in the head which is a nono. Stopping power only unless there is no other choice. With 7 LEO types on 1 person there is no reason to pull a gun unless they are faced with an armed assailant. A simple baton strike usually wakes people up.

whether it truly was a mistake this officer is a hot head and can't think clearly in high stress situations. He should never hold a badge again.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Law-enforcement agencies across central Ohio are changing their stun-gun training to reflect new guidelines from manufacturer Taser International.

The company recently released a 12-page training bulletin that tells users to avoid shooting the devices into a suspect's chest, a change Taser says has more to do with limiting legal liability than promoting safety.

Link

This was put out in 2009. All Police Agency's should adopt this.

Jan. 1, 2009: Responding to reports of a fight on a late-night BART train, five transit police officers stop two trains at the Fruitvale station shortly after 2 a.m. As hundreds of passengers look on, Officer Johannes Mesherle draws his gun and shoots Oscar Grant III, of Hayward, in the back.

He was shot in the back. Not the head.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

I am going to ask an honest question of you, since I cant speak to personal experience with the tazers they carry.

How can the plastic safety clip be confused with push or switch safety of a typical 45 Calibur pistol?
According to the specs on the X26 Tazer gun, a plastic safety clip on the trigger shatters to note the place in which the tazer was fired and provides other information. A typical 45 calibur pistol has a flip switch safety or push safety not located in the vacinity of the trigger mechanism.

Does the Tazer holster operate in the same manner as a police holster? In my area, most of the police that I know have holsters that lock the sidearm in place due to a restriction built into the holster that holds it in place. The weapon has to be rocked back out of the restrictor before it can be drawn. I found such items as the Blackhawk X26 holster that is just a simple side strapped holster with a flap that can be folded back for faster draw.

Would a police officer intentially aim a Tazer gun at a victims head prior to delivery? In this instance, the victim was shot in the head. That means, the officer drew his weapon, aimed for the head area and pulled the trigger. Currently and as of this incident, there have been countless instances of people who have suffered more than just a jolt and incap from the Tazer. The extensive training that a LEO should get on this weapon should note the intensity of the amperage being used. Why then would such a weapon be aimed at the head, when it works just as well from any and every other part of the body?

Finally, how long does it take to determine the difference between a .45 Calibur semi automatic handgun and something similar to the police issue version of the X26 Tazer Gun?
Based on the information above and adding that every other person has already mentioned weight differences, I challenge you to go back to the original video at the top of this post. Watch it carefully. I watched it over and over and over. At 1:30 you can hear the news lady talking through the event. She says " a second later". However, watch the officer. He has time to rise from kneeling with his right arm outstretched and fires. It is not a second later. Five full seconds of video run between his rising and firing. 5 seconds. In the situation and its extreme states, that is 10-12 heartbeats, 2-4 full breaths taken, 3-5 blinks of the eye.

Now, all of the above I ask in honesty from an experienced and veteran LEO. I have never had to carry a gun, but I have been in plenty of volatile situations with multiple individuals. I know that your mind races and your vision narrows, your blood starts pumping and endorphynes release. Your breathing speeds up with your heart rate and your nerves can make you twitchy.
But, isnt this exactly what a police officer is trained to combat? To remain clear in the midst of a stress filled situation?

If you reference the initial post about this incident and most of my police officer posts, you will see I am not a LEO basher out of respect for my friends in Blue. I just mean to bring up a more clinical Q&A from someone that has walked the path.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   

reply to post by jude11

He wasn't fighting. He wasn't resisting. You're lying.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by thov420

So you arent familiar with the various tools law enforcement uses, yet you speak as an expert on the topic and want the cop punished even more?

Where in my post did I say I was an expert? I think you better go re-read what I said.

He was not charged with murder for very obvious reasons - there was no intent to kill the person. The cop was charged with involuntary manslaughter because the death was accidental.

As for the ignorant comments about the cops not making it off the platform.. Do you actually read what you type? A cop accidentally kills a person, pissing you off to the extent that you want to see the cops dead?

Yeah, that makes sense..

Again, you are putting words into my mouth. I said "Personally, I'm surprised" and "I think" but I do stand behind my statement that I won't cry over him.

If you dont like what he was charged with, and dont care for the sentence received, then maybe you should learn how the government works and take it out on the responsible parties -

Let me help youL
Prosecuting Attorny who filed the charges and prosecuted the case
The Judge - Responsible for sentencing the officer.

The cops had nothing to do with what this officer was charged with or the sentence he received.

I understand how he got the sentence he got. I've been in court twice in my life, while that doesn't make me an expert, I do know the DA charges the defendant and a judge/jury decides his fate. A police officer has a responsibility and a duty "To Protect and Serve" and that makes him more accountable for his actions. Believe me, if I lived there I would be protesting right along with his family and others.

As far as a Taser goes.. There is a reason its designe the way it is. Its called muscle memory. In a high stress situation, and contrary to popular belief, we dont rise to the occasion, we fall back to our level of training. In addition to auditory and visual exclusion, you also lose fine motor control of muscles, falling back to gross motor control.

This is why a Taser is designed the way it is. This is not the first time an officer has drawn a duty weapon instead of their Taser and discharged a round. This is also one of the major reasons that departments who utilise a Taser require a cross draw instead of it being duty weapon side dominant.

I have no issues with people criticising what occured, but the very least some of you guys can do is learn a little bit about law enforcement before making comments.

I'm sorry, but if he can't tell the difference between a firearm and a Taser he doesn't deserve his badge or the responsibility that comes with it.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by thov420

Look at the pic.........It took a matter of seconds,not hours,or even minutes to make the mistake.......

Personally,I COULD in this instance see a mistake happening. Especially with all the people nearby, The Trains,improper training,etc....... Trust me,I have posted my fair share of police brutality posts,and how the system is screwed.THIS time,I believe it was a accident. MHO
edit on 14-6-2011 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

It very well could be an accident. I'm not advocating this cop get the chair or anything, but I think any police officer who commits a crime should get at least double what a regular citizen gets. They are the enforcers of the law and they need to know they are not above it.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Just 11 months? Heh, I bet if you killed a dog you'd get way less than 11 mo--....wait...

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deebo
but I am sure having 100 ghetto turds screaming in the background didn't help set the mood and tensions either.

And what makes them ghetto?

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

What a farce. To be honest, as mentioned in a few other posts, it is almost suprising he was jailed at all. The FACT and there CANNOT be a factual rubuttal COPPERS is that there IS a different standard for those who wear a badge and those who don't. Sure, many live up to rule and bust their own. In obvious cases, it is hard to do otherwise - dash cams and cell phones get most of anything anymore...
You Kidding me? These guys get away with murder, literally. There should be a higher standard, not one of ME TARZAN, YOU CRIMINAL?

ColoradoJens
edit on 14-6-2011 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Only deal hear is it never should have gotten to the lethal point. Too fast...

CJ

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join