It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Planted a Tree...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Segenam

I couldn't have said it better, thank you

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I like the idea of planting trees. I realize that the tree seeds itself every year ( those darn Sweetgum pods and the resulting growth ! ), but I would rather see someone plant seedlings and have them grow, than watch construction clear cut an area for a mall. While I am not a "tree hugger", and I totally appreciate industry and the needs of our economy, I do believe in being responsible stewards of our environment when we can. In the long run, trees are better than clear cutting !

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Me and our roomates already harvested our vegetables... last thing we harvested was our "Durban Poison".... so far not bad in strength.... not quite medicinal strength (for me anyway), but the plants we continue to harvest later this year already show signs of improvement in technique.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Spiritual Star

as an amateur landscape artist, i planted many trees, shrubs, etc.
when friends or relatives buy a property, they ask me to go look at their new yard.
i like creating micro environments that feed birds, critters, a play area for kids, socializing area for adults from where they can watch kids at play while gossiping, etc.

using native plants work best since they require the least maintenance.

hummingbird gardens have become very popular, having their own section at nurseries.
5 years ago i supervised planting 3,000$ worth of hummingbird plants in one afternoon.

a friend's uncle built a beautiful wooden pergola and covered it with white roses.
a colony of cardinals made their home in the pergola, making it very magical.

and planting can be quite fun.
busy with planting a pine tree, my sister said her son wanted to help me.
i said it's messy, dress him appropriate.
he showed up in a bathing suit.
by the time he had the little pine tree in the ground, watered and mulched he looked like a mud monster.
washed him off with the garden hose.
my sister and i were laughing, but the 4 year old had fun.
he use to tell me gardening was so much fun, he didn't understand his parents let him do it.

and did you know that squirrels use maple trees for sugar.
by making the tree bleed, the water evaporates and the sugars collect on the bark.
they eat it in the winter when sugar is rare.

in the suburbs, if the wind comes from a parking lot, is smelly or hot by the time it reaches your yard, a hedge of pine trees will filter and clean the air.

gardening is very spiritual, keep it up.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join