It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Planted a Tree...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
And no, I didn't go to the store and pick up a tree and plant it (I did that last week), I actually went outside, hunted for maple seeds and planted them, and guess what? Up popped Maple saplings - actually a bunch of them (And I am not done). And I feel good about it. They're already starting to throw their first leaves.

I am extremely spiritual and mostly Native American (And yes, I thank every tree or plant I take from - it's actually a habit I have made that I am proud of). Every time I connect with Mother Earth, I get a deep sadness and I don't know why. In feeling her sadness, I thought I would help her out just a little bit. I know I am one simple person out of 6 billion and I cannot save the entire world, but I did something I am quite proud of.

The trees are being treated just as the rest of my plants for my vegetable garden (Started in peat and planted when their first leaves are out). I do not know where I will put them (There is a forest not far from here so I may take them there).

I hear so many people complaining about what's going on with our Earth and the way trees are being cut down and instead of being one of the people to complain about it, I went out and did something. It might not be much, I agree. Some people may say 'it's just a tree' but it's not...

It's returning something to the ground in which I feel we unrightfully took. I didn't hear Mother Earth give us permission to go around taking all of her trees to use.

I don't think people realize how lucky we really are being on a planet that's perfect for us to thrive (Not saying there aren't any more out there, but still). So many people take this planet and her lushness for granted and it's sad, and that's perhaps her sadness. Perhaps planting a tree will help her not think we are a bunch of fleas that are becoming a great bother to her.

P.S. I hope this is the right forum!

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SpiritualStar

Good for you

My garden this year has many things growing that i planted.
I have cherry tomatoes, strawberries, parsley, rosemary, basil and pumpkins! And not forgetting all my flowers, Lilly, roses and Honey suckle.

I am quite proud of myself as they are all growing really well. And now we have had a good drop of rain they are looking very lush!

Mind you i am quite sad also as my rose bush may have to be cut down, with all the wind we have had the poor thing has snapped and has pulled away from the wall

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I'm glad you planted a tree. Just think, if every person on earth would plant just 1 tree, we would have approximately 7 billion new trees. Or even 1% of the population, that would still be 70 million new trees.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

We should have a campaign on ATS. Everyone one here should plant at least one tree. I mean, if it's feasible lol

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

My garden is actually slow growing but the NE has been pretty chilly for this time of year. I planted potatoes for the first time in my life, still have no idea how/when to harvest them, but that's the fun in planting something new! I also planted garlic, and have no idea when it will be ready either! lol

I love gardening. It is a soother for me.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Did you make sure it matches the soil type for your area? Otherwise it won't last long lesson learned. I think the Department of Ag has a site you can use for that I'll try to find it.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
great hopefully at least some of these trees survive the nuclear holocaust and regardless at least they outlive us and counter our CO2 footprint the former by a landslide

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Golithion

Yes, I live in the NE USA, which is perfect home for these trees

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Enkii

I agree with you, but while I planted them, my energy was going toward it growing really tall and being happy... not sure a tree can be happy, but I did it anyway. I try not to think of the trouble that will soon come, perhaps it will survive and maybe one day 50 years later I will return to find it towering over me

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I am glad to see a thread like this. I, personally, want to thank you for your kindness and gratitude towards Mother Earth. It is a rare trait to see nowadays. A lot of people will think that a "small" task, like planting a tree, is not a big deal but those are the same people that will just mow them down every week.

I have a vegetable garden and a few small flowers beds and I have a 3 beehives around my yard but you have inspired me to start planting trees as often as I can.

Thanks again.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Well done !

Trees and nature are excellent

Reminds me of when me and my brother were playing conkers ... we tossed the conker out the window ..
I remember joking .. wow .. imagine a conker tree grows there now .. Sure enough ... within a couple of year or so .. a tree was obscuring our livingroom window ... we kept chopping it down .. it kept coming back ..

Not our problem now .. i can only imagine teh roots would be very deep .. and possibly went under the foundations ?

One person who i like to read u p on a lot is David Sereda ...
I find him extremely interesting, for various reasons ...

One thing i'm still trying to wrap my head around is this ...

From 1979 to 2001, in part-time reforestation work, David Sereda has personally planted over 1 million trees in the forests of the Pacific Northwest of British Columbia, Canada, Alaska and some in California.

www.panacea-bocaf.org...

Now if we had a few more like him ... the rainforests would be fine ... there would be a tree overpopulation problem ..

I live in a built up area .. nowhere to plant things .. or be with nature ...
But i plan to change that at some point ...

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
My wife and I have planted trees and of course a garden here on our property. It is rewarding to eat figs off of a tree you planted. I have a not-so-funny story to tell about potatoes as well. After WWII, one of my neighbors bought a place down the road, and like most of us, he was unsure about how to grow potatoes. He stopped in at the country store, and met some of the locals to ask them for advice. One of the guys jumped up and said,"They grow better if you take the hair from one of your butchered hogs, and till it into the ground where you plan to grow them." Not knowing any better, my friend did as the man said. When the potatoes where ready for harvesting, there was hog hair grown into all the potatoes, and they weren't fit to eat. Make sure you get good advice when planting things you want to eat...

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
We have tree seedlings sprouting here all the time all on their own. We have no lack of trees where I am.
I adore nature! I too am from the North East in New England.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Trees have a pretty good system of replanting their own seeds. Not to be mean, but that tree didn't need you to help it. All you essentially did, was do what the tree would have done, but relocate it to a different place. Is that cause for being proud? I'm sorry, but I just don't get it.

Just think of all the extra CO2 it will produce shedding leaves for 50+ years, laying them on the ground to decompose.

Your post did remind me, however, of the South Park Prius episode.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by croweboy

haaa ... thats harsh man ...

In OPs defense ... the tree was planted with love now ... and might get a whole lotta love from OP as it grows .. and the create a bond ..

and even if you dont believe in such things .. that dont matter .. Cos I think SpiritualStar does, and that's what matters

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Segenam

I'm a spiritual person, I just don't believe in the whole "plant a tree" or "reduce your carbon footprint" crap. It's all made up as a form of control, and a way for non-contributing members of society and '60's tree-huggers to feel good about themselves for once.

Hopefully, he enjoys where it's located. All he has to do now is petition Al Gore to receive some Carbon-Credits for relocating it.
edit on 13-6-2011 by croweboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by croweboy

Those decomposing leaves also provide for nutrients in the soil. In Mid Wisconsin, there used to be prolific small farms up until the 80's, now most been bought out and have gone to seed. The forest there is quite a lot larger than before. I love it. Makes for great hunting.

There are still a few farms though, many in the area are trying to go organic/free range.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by croweboy
reply to post by Segenam

I just don't believe in the whole "plant a tree" or "reduce your carbon footprint" crap. It's all made up as a form of control, and a way for non-contributing members of society and '60's tree-huggers to feel good about themselves for once.

Im not disputing whether what you say is correct or not ...

But .. with respect to SpiritualStar being partly Native American ... by the way they describe the act of their planting a tree ... I can see that is more in line with the spiritual heritage of her / his bloodline as opposed to responding to the propeganga youre suggesting ..

Personally .. I would love to be able to 'relocate' a tree to where i am .. and live with it

Tho in SpiritualStars case .. She / he is perhaps going to relocate it again to a well suited environment ...

But none the less .. i am sure they will check up on their friend in the coming years. .. and look upon its towering glory, whilst remanscing of when it was just a wee stem with a few leaves ..

Its brilliant

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I'm going to plant a new tree this week in my back yard.

Thanks for making me think about this. The beautiful tree in my front yard almost died this winter, very few small branches with leaves this spring. This makes me very sad. I think it is unsaveable.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by visualmiscreant

I am sorry you were tricked. At least I know not to try such a thing. Thank you for your story

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join