It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the island on Lost?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
If you have not seen the show, don't read this, there are spoilers. And it is a show you want unspoiled.

W1ll and I started having this discussion. I just finished the series on Netflix the other night. I am sure that if I didnt research on mythology and multiple religions, I might find an answer to this.

But since JJ Abrahams LOVES leaving dangling scenes and things unanswered, we don't truley know what the island is, other then a cork.

What exactly is the light? why is it life and eath and rebirth?

We know it isn't purgatory, Jacks father said that everything that happened there, really happened, and the sideways timeline was purgatory.

So we seem to have an island, that has thousands of years of history, that corks a bipolar light, that creates monsters and likes to collect mundane protectors, that the island is semi sentient.

I would love to hear your ideas.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Thanks for RUINING the ending for me : /

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Read the first line!!
edit on 13-6-2011 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Twin Peaks is better. I tried to watch Lost, but it just never seemed like that smart of a show. I don't believe the storyline nor island really has any basis in reality....so the island is just Hawaii.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by JustinSee

Well if you want to start a thread on which is better, Twin Peaks or Lost, have at it. But I am asking for those who actually watched the show, what their theory is.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by hhcore

Haha. She did warn not to continue reading unless you want to be spoiled.

Where is the island? Everywhere! It "moved" all the time to keep anyone from finding it. It seemed to exsist on Earth but perhaps on a diferent dimensional plane? Ugh its been forever since I've watched. I'll have to go back and review!

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I thought it turned out they were all dead in the ending?

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I watched enough of the show to determine that its entirely made up and its full of plot holes and time-travel incidents that make no sense. No offense or anything. I don't think they really cared to put any logic behind the strange goings on.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

The final sideways plot line in season 6 was them basically in purgatory, because they all wanted to be together to move on, which is why they have perfect lives. That was how it was explained to me. Then they started remembering the island incident as Desmond and Hugo started pushing people together.
But the actual island events actually happened.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
lost was a horrible show thats only purpose was to make money. Every episode was ended with a question that just had to be answered next week. I admit that i watched at first but after a while i realized that the producers were going to just keep pulling questions out of their arse until they wound up with too many loose ends. After talking to peeps who actually watched the same thing that there are just endless questions..i have no time for crap like that.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Well to answer your question, the island's name was "Telos" which in Greek means "The End"
I was convinced that the island itself was a mid-way point between the living and the dead (perhaps a lost Eden? Complete with a trapped angel and demon), and that those who "died" on the island had actually moved on to the afterlife. Those who were still alive had issues that they had to deal with before the were permitted to move on.
However, it was clear to me when they started throwing in the Dharma Initiative and time-travel, that the writters never really planned the storyline to go on as long as it did and were desperately trying to captivate the audience with wild and crazy storylines.
To this day, I have yet to watch another series (other than the Sopranos) that has had a worse ending.
edit on 13-6-2011 by Konstantinos because: dun Dun DUN!

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Konstantinos

Finally some information to go on instead of just a review. Did they mention Telos or did you figure out that info on your own.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

I think they tried too hard to make the ending not disappoint and ended up failing tying it all together.

The first 2 seasons were solid. Then it fell apart after that. I'm sure in their heads it all made sense, but to us it seemed to drag on with no answers.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I liked lost. I did not like how it ended. ANd especially the last 2 season's where started to time travel and couldn;t keep the story straight and explain it. But almost eevrything about that show is open to interpretation and purposely made vague.

Because there are other questions that weren;t addressed then what was just asked in the OP.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I remember going here after every episode to find out more.

darkufo.blogspot.com...

I'm not sure there is much there now as I am at work and the sire is blocked.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I believe the island is a metaphor for the origin of reality. The sideways worlds are PART of the "dreams within a dream." The sideways world represents where beings learn the lessons needed to carry out the path on the island (origin). So in a way sideways world is a 3rd density plane and the island a 4th density. Also, if you know about anything about "As above, So below" then you can see this concept played out during show. Characters act one way or have specific events attached to their character's life on the island and it is completly opposite on island.
The lessons are necessary to be learned in the sideways world for the character to complete his/her path or task on the island. Once the task is completed the character realizes that they have been living a "dream within a dream" and no longer finds it necessary to struggle against the island, so they pass thru to the next life.

Think of the show as a game of chess. The person playing the game is essentialy the island or living on the island while the chess pieces/board are the sideways world. The game of chess can last from 5 minutes to hours depending on the player. The best clue to this is when Jacob says "It only ends once. Anything before that is just progress." But this is just my opinion, hope it helped.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ImmortalThought

Interesting theory. Thank you contributing that. Obviously there are different concepts that overlap. There seem to be a lot of good vs. evil or as one character says, a trapped angel or demon. But none of the characters seem to be truley good or truley evil. Abrahams seems to like slightly ambiguous characters. I think the whole point of the show is to point out people's flaws, but their mitakes never make them good or evil, because they always can do better when given the choice.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
It's definitely Purgatory.

Maybe not in the true Catholic sense, but certainly a similar function.

It's more like a go-between between the real world and Purgatory, kind of the threshold so has properties of both the real world, and the afterlife.

I know the producers said it wasn't, but seeing the show reveals it to be regardless....

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

Finally some information to go on instead of just a review. Did they mention Telos or did you figure out that info on your own.

I wish I could link it, but I did read an episode review on the network it played and said "Sawyer, Kate blah blah blah left Telos island and went to Hydra island" that's all that I recall, can't find it online now...
I remember the name because of it's Greek meaning, ironic that the other island is "Hydra" which is the mythical multi-headed serpent where 2 heads would sprout where one was cut off.
Kind of like the different realities...

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by American-philosopher

There are a lot of dangling story lines. I do know they were developing the walt story about him being special, but that wasn't their fault because the actor left the show.

They don't explain why some of the characters the island killed off.

They aren't real clear on why Charles Widmore was so intent on getting back to teh island, other then for money.Unless the sole purpose was to get Desmond in purgatory.

There are more that I can't remember right now.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join