It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Exactly Do You Mean When You Label Someone As A "Homophobe"?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Yes yes yes, another thread about this topic
But this thread is not about homosexuality, it's about the word homophobia

In any case i've been noticing one word that is constantly used all over the place even when the shoe doesn't fit.

Homophobic

What does ATS think of this word? What does it mean to you?

Homophobia is a term used to refer to a range of negative attitudes and feelings towards lesbian and gay and in some cases bisexual, transgender people and behaviour

en.wikipedia.org...

So when I see members call others homophobic or call certain celibrities homophobic what do you mean?
Do you merely mean people who have a certain dislike for homosexuals or do you mean that they have a phobia of homosexuals?

I do not like that word, why should the word phobia be there?
If you see people with real phobias and how they react to those phobias you never see someone labelled as a homophobe behave with such intense phobia.

This word should not exist, but when you use it what exactly do you mean by it?

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Well I don't look at it as a definition on how strong a phobia is but rather just a definition of irrational fears. It may be a bit too aggressive of a word, and in all reality is just another label being put on someone which should be something we aim to avoid. I don't personally like the word either, but to me its "barely acceptable" only for the fact that its an irrational fear to others who don't fear it. It may very well be rational for the person to fear it. Its more of an outsider observation and not a good way to define, irrational hate.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by topherman420
I don't personally like the word either, but to me its "barely acceptable" only for the fact that its an irrational fear to others who don't fear it. It may very well be rational for the person to fear it. Its more of an outsider observation and not a good way to define, irrational hate.

What fear?
Where's the fear?

Can you give an example of a homophobe displaying fear?

Also what would call someone who is against homosexuality but only midly, would you call him that as well?

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Sounds like an ad-hominem used to stifle debate to me.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Homophobe is NOT the correct word. The "homophobes" I have known express more of an extreme hatred toward the gay/lesbian life/acts. Someone with a phobia of spiders does not necessarily hate them - they fear them. So for these people, I feel that homophobe is not strong enough of a word.

However, I have known homophobes that fill the bill exactly. They fear 'gayness' - I think it is due to their own homosexual thoughts/actions. They've been raised to think this is wrong, and when they feel it themselves, they fear it. For them, homophobia is a true definition. (Edit to Add) My grandfather was a homophobe. He was also a known pedophile with a preference for teenaged boys. I feel that his fear of "gay" stemmed from his being (at least partly) gay. For him, homophobe is a good word.

I say this as a gay man. NOT as a man that you would think is gay if you met me... (AKA, not a queen, fairy, princess, etc.) I am your average Joe... except I am in a committed relationship with a man, not a woman.
edit on 13-6-2011 by journey2010 because: see above

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Well like I said before its from the persons point of view. I had someone that wouldnt sit on a bed cause I had sat there and he knew I was gay. He got angry and didnt explain himself when I asked "are you afraid of something? I dont get it." My only conclusion that can come from that is he was afraid of catching it or something because of his hate and his ignorance to information otherwise. Hate clouded his critical thinking and led him to an irrational fear of "catching gay" which again is the only conclusion I am able to come to.

Also, I stated I dont personally like the word and never said I call anyone that. I would actually term someone a biggot then a homophobe, that is my preferred word.
edit on 13-6-2011 by topherman420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Denying people equal rights because they are different then you - - I consider fear based.

No matter what other excuse you try to use.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by journey2010
Homophobe is NOT the correct word. The "homophobes" I have known express more of an extreme hatred toward the gay/lesbian life/acts. Someone with a phobia of spiders does not necessarily hate them - they fear them. So for these people, I feel that homophobe is not strong enough of a word.

I think when you say it's not strong enough you mean it's completely incorrect as there is no phobia.
Which is why I made this thread and why i'm not too fond of the word.

I say this as a gay man. NOT as a man that you would think is gay if you met me... (AKA, not a queen, fairy, princess, etc.) I am your average Joe... except I am in a committed relationship with a man, not a woman.

Then doesn't that mean you aren't the average joe?
Keyword being 'average'

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Homophobia - By breakdown should probably mean a fear of humans.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 13/6/2011 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamAssassin

Yeah but with that you still get biggots calling me a homo....I just say "holy observant batman!"

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin

en.wikipedia.org...

Actually you raise a good point because what you mention is just another level of "this word doesn't make any sense"

What would be a good replacement since we all agree that the current makes no sense?

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Then doesn't that mean you aren't the average joe?
Keyword being 'average'

You got me.. I typed slower than my mind processed. Being gay, I'm not "average or normal". But then... who is? What I meant to say was if you were to meet me, you wouldn't know I was gay - I don't play a stereotype. No one on this board is average, as I don't think CT's are average either

I've seen the posts on ATS from gay bashers/discriminators... I was just trying to say that not every gay man is a queen

edit on 13-6-2011 by journey2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by topherman420
reply to post by OccamAssassin

Yeah but with that you still get biggots calling me a homo....I just say "holy observant batman!"

lol

Quip them that you are a Homo.....sapien and that they are Homo Neanderthalensis.

link   
I think there are truly people who are afraid of homosexuality (not homosexuals), and for them, the term homophobia is accurate. I believe it's this irrational fear of homosexuality that causes many people to be anti-homosexual. And in others, it's the fear that they may be gay that causes them to be homophobic.

However, some people are just anti-homosexual, which is the term I use to describe people who simply dislike or disagree with homosexuality. They're not afraid, they just don't like it.

I believe it's only right to use the term anti-homosexuality instead of homophobic, as we really don't know the reasoning behind their fear or dislike of gay people. So, I will use "anti-homosexual", unless it's crystal clear that the person is actually quite afraid or admits to being homophobic themselves.

link   

I think I will vote for Prejudice.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Some people just dislike gay people for some reason, maybe it doesn't fit in with the way they think people should be, but some people do seem genuinely fearful of them. I think the most fearful are maybe afraid of their own feelings?

I've only met/seen one that scared me, and he was well over 6 feet tall, long black hair, had on a ton of dark makeup, and his black painted fingernails were about 3 inches long

The funny thing is, he was probably a really nice guy, and only going for the shock value.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by journey2010

well average people are people who are within a group of people who behave and present themselves in a certain way wherein that group represents a certain percentage of society, so sure there are average people, by definition there has to be.

But I see what you are saying though

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

However, I have known homophobes that fill the bill exactly. They fear 'gayness' - I think it is due to their own homosexual thoughts/actions.

You wouldn't say an anti-communist fears communism because of his own communist thoughts, or that a libertarian is a closet tax-lover would you?

Of course you wouldn't.

Yet here you are, trying to use some weird system of logic that people only ever use when discussing this particular topic. Frankly, it is not a salient point and is more a tool to stifle debate than anything.

You'd rather make the other person uncomfortable than get to the truth, never mind that this sort of behaviour is one of the reasons why people don't like your kind.

I say you should treat this topic with the same level of open-mindedness that you treat the rest of your life - and in regards to open and honest reflection you may have an advantage over most people - so take an honest look at the debate and you will see that one side doesn't like you because they are uncomfortable with their own sexuality, but because they are uncomfortable with yours. Making them uncomfortable with insinuations regarding their sexuality does not get anyone anywhere good.

You must show them the same level of acceptance as you wish to be shown.

My granddaughter is a lesbian, so I have experience with this method.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
projective fear indeed. ie, hating on homosexuals glorifies and secures the hater's orientation as better and more manly (heterocentric ego).

all of the homophobic men i know have admitted to on the down-low of past homosexual encounters and some even privately solicit the very activity they are opposed to. look at all the gay evangelicals and priests' scandals. they preach via fear-mongering of homosexuals, yet behind closed door practice the very thing they are obsessed with behind closed doors.

supposedly some 67% of men have had homosexuals encounters at some point in their lives, yet only 10% are admittedly gay in our society. do the math. also look at hate crimes where boys are rape and murdered for being gay. the grand irony of it all!

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Originally posted by OccamAssassin

en.wikipedia.org...

Actually you raise a good point because what you mention is just another level of "this word doesn't make any sense"

What would be a good replacement since we all agree that the current makes no sense?

I've always disliked this word. We all know what a phobia is, and anyone with a first grade education learns homo is a prefix meaning same, so technically I've always believed that the word should be correctly used as fear of "sameness" or things being the same.

For example, I get real homophobic whenever I hear a report on the economy.
I've never attributed it to the "alternative lifestyles" for that reason. I question people's intelligence when words get used where they don't belong, but in a world where McJob is in the dictionary I can't say I'm surprised at frequent misuse of basic terminology.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join