It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit DIYer cooks up stronger, lighter steel, shames scientists

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Detroit DIYer cooks up stronger, lighter steel, shames scientists

www.engadget.com< br />

You'd be forgiven for dismissing an amateur metallurgist if he claimed to have improved upon the presumably perfected technology of steel making. But Flash Bainite, the creation of Detroit entrepreneur Gary Cola, wowed a team of Ohio State University engineers by turning centuries of alloy processing on its head.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Intriguing stuff here, not only does this process create a stronger, more ductile and more easily weldable form of steel; it is much quicker, cost effective and energy efficient.

One could adapt any number of conspiracy related thoughts around such an invention; but, if anything, I would consider this something to keep an eye on as this should be a major development across several fields.

www.engadget.com< br /> (visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by RobertAntonWeishaupt

Well, as excited as I get with revolutionary stuff like this, I'd bet $20 bucks that Ford buys the patent and buries it.

Pretty awesome though! I really hope this is something that becomes widely used as it's about time we started using the more efficient stuff that we create... Like running our cars with water
Thanks for sharing!
edit on 6/13/2011 by scojak because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Yea its stories like this that make you wonder where our technology went that let us make marvels like Damascus steel, or the Iron Pillar of India.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I wonder if the inventors real name is John Galt?

Is this a steel that will be "rejected" by the industry?

How quickly will it, and it's performance metrics, be swept aside by a "sexting" scandal?

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I'm happy that so many comments on the webpage made references to Rearden Steel, I bet that really makes Ayn Rand haters mad.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   

I was going to ask, is that Robert Anton Wilson on your avatar? And then I looked at your username again...

I also feel like this is going to be swept under the rug by major industries that are already in place. I know it doesn't make sense, but neither do their practices, which is my whole point. Their CEOs will accept some "donation" from steel companies, or some corrupt interest along the way, just to keep peddling the status quo until they're forced to change one way or another.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Gives a new meaning to the term Detroit Steel.

Pretty impressive, just goes to show you don't need millions in equipment and a huge lab to discover/invent new things. My hat goes off to this guy.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by James1982
Pretty impressive, just goes to show you don't need millions in equipment and a huge lab to discover/invent new things. My hat goes off to this guy.

And yet a common argument you'll encounter on ATS is that, if multi-million dollar research projects can't come up with this stuff, then it can't be done, period.

Or, if scientists haven't figured out something by now, then it also doesn't exist. That has to be one of my favorites.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
See things are getting better by our own imagination not by established controlled science.
That is why I believe in us.l know better than to fall prey to this doom and gloom crap,but it does give me an excuse to buy cool guns.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Lol. I think the best thing about this story is the method was invented by some bloke tinkering around in his back yard. Also it's so simple. The scientists and engineers working on this sort of thing should really ask them selves why they didn't think of that. They are so busy with all the big complicated ideas that they fail to see the simple solutions. Keep it simple stupid! A star and a flag OP, love this sort of stuff.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Wow!!! Now this is one of the coolest things I have read in a long time, and for it to come out of Detroit is better yet!
The efficiency and strength of this steel will obviously be greatly appreciated in many industries, but I believe the US Automotive industry will be one of the most appreciative. The domestic car market has been on a steady down turn for years now, a steel such as this will improve upon cost of material, improve fuel economy due to its lighter weight, improve crash test ratings w/ its ability to absorb greater impacts!! This is big news!

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
If it's true then it could revolutionize industry. Have to wait and see.

You know what they say though, "If it seems too good to be true.............."

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Well done and gold star with 5, house points Detroit man..what a shame that in a week he'll be charged with attempted rape of a hotel maid.
His patent will then be denied..as he could'nt sign it from a cell in Rikers.
This will be hidden in a box with the cold fusion patent.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by scojak

Well, as excited as I get with revolutionary stuff like this, I'd bet $20 bucks that Ford buys the patent and buries it.

Why would they bury this? It is cheaper, more cost effective, stronger, welds better....

They could make a lot of money off it. Burying it would be stupid.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
FYI if you would like to follow this:

Ohio Uni - Flash Steel

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

Why would they bury this? It is cheaper, more cost effective, stronger, welds better....

I was alluding to the conspiracy theory that Ford bought a patent for a car that runs on water and buried it. And on top of that, the fact that every time something is discovered that would seemingly make life better (a car that runs on water and excretes water vapor, cures for cancer, hemp, maybe even free energy) "something" happens and the discovery is never put to use.

I think it's stupid that they would bury as well, but I can think of reasons why they would. For example, stronger materials may cause the cars to last longer causing fewer future sales. I know that's only one example, but if I can think of one, I bet Ford can think of ten.

I would really love to see this all over the metal fabrication industry, and my hopes and thoughts are that it will. But until I see in the use of actual products, I will assume that greed will prevail. And, at this point, I have no idea what the greedy men want to do.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

I agree completely, that in principle it would be stupid to pass up on this technology. But real industry is often dirty enough that a contracted steel manufacturer would find it cheaper to just ignore the technology or even cover it up just to save themselves the cost of having to redesign their factories or suffer increased competition.

It would just amount to the usual protecting short-term profits while creating long-term setbacks.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

I was alluding to the conspiracy theory that Ford bought a patent for a car that runs on water and buried it. And on top of that, the fact that every time something is discovered that would seemingly make life better (a car that runs on water and excretes water vapor, cures for cancer, hemp, maybe even free energy) "something" happens and the discovery is never put to use.

That's an interesting point, because this shows how Ford can apparently be manipulated by big oil companies even though it doesn't have any direct ties to the oil industry itself (that I know of, anyway). That introduces a whole new ball-game of protecting related interests even when it would ultimately be to the disadvantage of the Ford company itself, since cars that ran on water or any other cheaper alternative fuel would not doubt make a killing the way gas prices keep going up.

Maybe the car company CEOs make more money from bribery from the oil companies, than they would actual new car sales over the kinds they are already selling?

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
again lots of people shouting this will get buried , or bought and hidden away..

why would a steel company or any other big company want to bury this?

they can make a better product with 80-90% saving in energy production costs.

bury it are you mad?

if it works and is real .. they will be all over this , it will save them billions.. dont expect the price of knives and forks to drop suddenly though

top topics

<<   2 >>

join