It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So I got a letter from ATSDR a part of the CDC... Now I'm freaked out about exposure to????

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
So on Fri I got this letter from ATSDR
Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry...
It's marked Noticed to all Marines and Navy personal stationed at Camp Pendleton or Camp Lejeune...
It says this will be a heath survey ... nothing more.... But come on this letter is from the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry... so I'm thinking I'm on some damn list ,,, and they are thinking I was exposed to something.... hopefully nothing that might make parts of me glow in the dark or start to fall off...

Needless to say I got worried and this morning I do a little digging on the Web... I found nothing on this so called Health Survey but I did learn this interesting fact

EPA/ROD/R09-99/046
EPA Superfund
Record of Decision:
CAMP PENDLETON MARINE CORPS BASE
EPA ID: CA2170023533
OU 03
CAMP PENDLETON, CA
02/11/1999

Read the full report here.... Note it's a PDF.

well this is on going... within two weeks I should get the forms to fill out... but this feels like a developing news story.. one that could effect tens of thousands of US service men and women...

I'll keep you all updated... provided I learn anything
edit on 13-6-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-6-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

They believe that the water table has been polluted with toxins over the years. I was down the road at Bragg and wonder from time to time if this could affect me. Joes just dump stuff if they think they can get away with it. It’s got to go somewhere.

Bragg had a housing toxic issue awhile back as well. Haven't seen anything of it lately though.

Check out Military.com and the Camp Lejune website, CDC, etc..it’s all there

Good luck Brother.

edit on 13-6-2011 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I actually worked for a sublet company of the University of Chicago called NORC thru 97- 2000. I was not actually working on the study. UofC was contracted by the ATSDR/CDC for a study regarding Tetrachloralhydrine (sp?) the chemical found in dry cleaning. It was released into/ dumped and made its way into the groundwater at Camp Lejune. Cancer clusters were appearing in the area and on the base. The study was done by telephone basically gathering information from those that lived in and around the base. I don't know what the end result of the initial study was but from the way it sounds they are trying to gather more info.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I'm hoping it's just a water table thing...
I have friends who were exposed to agent orange and other nasty things...

I remember reading of one solder never learned what he was exposed too be after he was... any time he and his wife made love his semen burned her... as in left blisters burns....

Needless to say I am distrustful of the Military and I'm not sure they would ever admit to what's going on unless this an issue that's about to go public

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Make sure your will is filled out properly!! They don't let you know stuff unless you REALLY need to know it....I feel bad for you and everyone else stationed there and wish you all the best!! Keep us posted if you find any new news out.....Peace

PS. Make sure to contact an attorney if anything does come up....
edit on 6/13/2011 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Gawd, that's nasty. One of my old Soldiers has had five miscarriages. He finally decided to get neutered. Myself, do not wish kids after his experiences and if ever I decide to get married, I'll do the same.

I believe the Government like s to sit on things until they can no longer cover them up, then they commission studies, buying more time.

Only a few get compensation (medical or monetary) in the long run, and it's always too little, too late.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I don't think you would have gotten a letter unless there was a good possibility you were exposed to something or its a follow up to the previous studies. I believe that the initial study was trying to find people that were stationed at Lejune in the early to mid 90's. ATSDR/CDC isn't a bad thing, they watch for trends in problem areas and actually help find solutions.
Retaining a lawyer may not be a bad thing should you have been exposed to something. Lawyers love class action suits.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by sickboy1313

You're right. They're still doing follow ups with the Gulf War syndrome.

Can anyone say DU rounds? And the lack of oversight and precautions. As a old NBC guy, I knew better than to look around those burned out vehicles, told the Joes not to go, and yet, Command over ruled me.

Looking for intel they said. BS! They were souvenir hunting. And now they are paying for it.

But people living on base should not have to worry about stuff like this. Now they do.

edit on 13-6-2011 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by sickboy1313

I think your right about my name dates of service and where I was stationed... flagged me... to be included in the "Study" with 25 years in service of course I was at both Camp Pendleton and Camp Lejeune...

Long before any us of knew about spraying or covert testing I remember being at Camp Pendleton Main side waiting to be given orders to my next duty station and as I laid around the barracks I do remember the sound of a spray... I remember thinking they must be killing roaches or something as it left a strong chemical smell.... back then we didnt know any better... but now...

Might have been bug killer??? maybe it was something else???

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I am sort of surprised you weren't in the initial study then. I am pretty sure they called to interview all that lived on the base. Unless you had begun your duty at Pendelton. Perhaps it was just people currently living there? Towards the end of the study CNN showed up to cover the story at our facility (call center). It was funny because we didn't have results, we had just gotten done calling people for input. But CNN wanted the results,go figure.

Anyhow, if you have the chance check out the movie "A Civil Action" with John Travolta. It deals with cancer clusters popping up due to the same chemical.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Google Cancer cluster Camp Lejeune, it will pop up several articles. I remember reading about this quite some time ago, probably a follow up investigation.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Wow...I hope it turns out ok for you...please keep us informed ok?

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

By any chance were you at Camp Lejeune in the time span of 1957 to 1987?

Your post reminded me of an old thread I read about polluted water being knowingly used at the base.

Here is thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Best of luck.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by itsallmaya

I was there in 79 again in 82 through 84 mostly on TAD
but I spent more years at Pendleton....

I dont know man... I'm not going to let it get to me until after I start growing a third arm

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

here is the story i remember it does take time to track you down , hurry up and wait www.cbsnews.com... from the link Marine families who lived at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina over three decades drank water contaminated with toxins as much as 40 times over today's safety standard, federal health investigators said Tuesday.

Read more: www.cbsnews.com...

it is an old story but if you do not about it then how are you to say i was there.

edit on 15-6-2011 by bekod because: editting
it seems it was to deal with this www.naturalnews.com... and the chem is MTBE is among a group of chemicals called fuel oxygenates.

Learn more: www.naturalnews.com...

edit on 15-6-2011 by bekod because: added info. and word edit. added link

edit on 15-6-2011 by bekod because: got link to work

new topics

top topics

join