It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Activists Patrol Streets with Cameras to Protect Citizens From Police (VIDEO)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I can see this happening more and more with the increase in police brutality and shootings lately.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out on the MSM (if they even carry it) and in the neighborhoods.

Will the police try to shut it down? Will the citizens think it's overreacting?

The Group:

copblock.org...

edit on 13-6-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

This is necessarily fantastic. CopBlock needs start popping up in every major city.. People forget the cops are "public servants". S&F..

"Something must be done about vengeance, a badge, and a gun"

edit on 13-6-2011 by rstregooski because: turtles.. real little ones..

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
And this is what happened the very next day in Manchester

Free Keene

While I am unable to move, I fully support the Free State Project in New Hampshire

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I agree and disagree with this. I understand the statement they are trying to make, as a lot of cops seem to think they are above the law. There does need to be some type of system in place to keep them in check...

The cops in the video however, didn't seem to do much to provoke the people with cameras. The "copblockers" almost acted kind of childish and were tipping on the edge of harassment at some points..Just my observation from the first few min of the video.
edit on 13-6-2011 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep
I agree and disagree with this. I understand the statement they are trying to make, as a lot of cops seem to think they are above the law. There does need to be some type of system in place to keep them in check...

The cops in the video however, didn't seem to do much to provoke the people with cameras. The "copblockers" almost acted kind of childish and were tipping on the edge of harassment at some points..Just my observation from the first few min of the video.
edit on 13-6-2011 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

I agree.

Although they are doing what's necessary for the protection of the public from corrupt police actions, they need to be careful not to break the laws themselves and not provoke actions to prove their cause. There are enough instances of brutality that they don't need to create new ones.

I hope they keep this in mind or else it will be a lost cause for not only them but will set everyone back a few steps.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I think it's great to see more people involved with protecting freedom. It's sad though that it has come down to this.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
If we have Crime Stoppers why can't we have Cop Crime Stoppers???
What's the deal??? What happen to citzen's arrest...as long as it's not against a cop....

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I have to agree with your statement. Its good to keep the police in check. In fact most states already have Civilian Review Boards. Though lets face it, they don't do much.I can see having them out to film the situations where cops get out of control.

With that being said, they hopefully aren't running around filming every single cop and trying to provoke situations. That might in turn come back to bite them. I think the police brutality situation has been around for a very long time. We just seem to think that it is escalating now because we're getting more video reports of it. There is a bigger underlying problem right now with certain police officers. The academy needs to do better psych profiles of potential officers. They also need to help officers AFTER they become cops.

The saying that "Power Corrupts" is absolutely true. My father was a cop. When he was a rookie he was gung-ho to stop the "bad guys". His partner however, wanted to pull in the woods and sleep his shift away. As he went through his career of 25 years on the job, I could see him change. From enthusiasm to "do the right thing" to absolute hatred of the world. I think all cops experience this to a degree. Some know how to deal with it, and some... well.. just watch the many videos. Catch a cop in a bad mood and you might catch a beating. Is it right? No... but thats why all cops need to be evaluated.

These activists are doing a good thing by trying to catch the "bad cops". I just hope they don't go trying to catch "all" cops.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
We had a report a year or so ago here in GA. Where a business recording video outside there businesss caught a cop on tape having sex while on duty back behind the business. Sometimes you don't even have to try hard. The have the ability to hang there own selfs. Just sit back and watch the show. lol.... Let's also discuss the boarder and all the reports of Deputy Sherrifs being arrested for trafficing guns and drugs across the boarder. Not to mention the rogue government employees turning a blind eye and letting this happen. Just like the government employees responsible for overseeing the regulations on businesses like BP which allowed a disaster in the Gulf. What's up...If this had been a trucking company the Federal Motor carrier department would have closed the trucking company down and the owners would be in prision. If you have the money to pay off washington lobbyist you can get away with MURDER!!!

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Welcome to 99% of police work. Believe it or not, the job is not all running shootouts, beating people up and processing murder scenes for a hair fiber which will tell you exactly who the criminal is at the end of the program. Even episodes of COPS take months of filming to string together 30 minutes of interesting police calls.

Unfortunately, what we have here is a group that is very disappointed that what they found was a far cry from what they have fabricated in their minds and are very outspoken about. This disappointment has caused them to use tactics, such as harrassing the police as they are filming, in an attempt to trigger a response which they can broadcast and label as police corruption.

The police should have no problem with people filming them while conducting police work. Once police are working as police officers in an official capacity, they no longer have a right to privacy. Once a group like this degrades to harrassment in an attempt to trigger a response, it becomes disgusting.

A few points to clarify:

-The police are not required to give you their names and badge numbers if you have nothing to do with the situation at hand.

-The officers were enforcing the traffic laws when they pulled those people over. The victims are the countless people that are killed in traffic accidents yearly. The officers are stopping people and enforcing the traffic laws in an attempt to promote safety on public streets.

new topics

top topics

join