It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple store employee starts union

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Apple store employee starts union

www.theglobeandmail.com

An Apple Inc. store employee has started a union in a rare move at a company known for its near-fanatical following and cutting-edge mystique.

Cory Moll, a part-time employee at an Apple store in San Francisco, is working to form a union to fight for better wages and benefits and to address what he says are unfair practices in the company’s glass-and-steel retail showrooms.

Mr. Moll, who has been working at Apple for four years, said he makes $14 an hour at the San Francisco Apple store. The minimum wage for 2011 in San Francisco, one of the most expensive cities in the United States,
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
This will be interesting to see if Mr. Jobs supports an employee union in his retail stores. With the money Apple brings in on their 'i' devices, it seems only fair an equitable percentage be shared with the employees that keep the retail side moving. I wish Mr Moll the best of luck in his endeavor, and hope Mr. Jobs remembers Apple's roots as depicted in their '1984' advertisement.

www.theglobeandmail.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

why do they need thier own union ? - can they not just join an existing service sector union ???

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Unions are what is causing our jobs to go overseas! They are no longer relevant, and amount to legalized extortion! If he wants to make more money, then he needs o get a better job!

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by haarvik
Unions are what is causing our jobs to go overseas! They are no longer relevant, and amount to legalized extortion! If he wants to make more money, then he needs o get a better job!

Not true at all.

What is causing our jobs to go over seas is the fact that politicians and corporations have sold the country out.

Unions were formed to protect the average Joe, because most of them cannot think for themselves, greedy unions did cause issues some issues, but not what we see today in the USA. NAFTA did that quite well.

The fact remains in a global economy how can country compete with 50 cents an hour pay and no benefits?

Answer: Not even the Mexicans can, China has billions of people willing to work for almost nothing. The math is really simple.
edit on 13-6-2011 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

The unions are what caused NAFTA in the first place! I used to belong to a union, UFCW local 880. All I ever saw was the union president in a different country every week. Nothing changed for me. My dad was a UAW union member for 30 years. I got to hear the stories about people sleeping during their shifts and laughing about it because there was nothing GM could do about it. In 1977, a Corvette cost a little over $2500 in parts. The rest was labor! All we have done with unions is raise wages, which raises the cost of goods, and then union members need more raises to buy the more expensive stuff and the vicious cycle continues.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by haarvik

Sounds more like a management problem, not all unions got lazy, fat and complacent. Just like you said, UAW workers were a bunch of lazy slackers, not all, but many of them.

I saw it first hand myself working, living and breathing the auto-industry being a technical consultant for process controls, in the paint shops.

Sometimes people need a wake-up call, unfortunately the union heads were to stupid to negotiate a proper deal, and could not fire the lazy veterans they had. The union heads were also a bunch of crooked, over-paid, figure heads that resemble the politicians we have today.

I also saw huge waste on GM, and Chrysler plant levels everywhere in the US and internationally, but mainly in the US, so it was not just the unions. Corporate wasted plenty too.

In the end, it is hard to compete with 4 dollars an hour. After NAFTA I saw allot of industry go to Mexico, from there I saw China step up and take the $4 hour jobs away, from Mexico for 50 cents or less an hour.

How does any country compete with that? When there are any labor disputes in China, they pack up and move to another region, or suppress any labor union organizers.

I left the auto-industry, for a better way of life and have never regretted it one bit.

edit on 13-6-2011 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

I agree with most of that. I too saw jobs going to Mexico, mine included. Now TPTB are talking about a NAFTA to include central America as well! They won't be happy until we have an AU to match the EU. When that happens, our freedoms will be regulated by entities such as the UN....NOT GOOD!

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
So you guys want to get rid of any type of power that you might have to bargain with a corporation. That means that you get to take what your offered on their terms. Soon enough we will be competing with countries that pay a dollar a day. If you are happy with that -- don't mind the feelings of powerlessness, and think that 10.oo to 14.oo dollars is a princely sum - go for it. I come from the day when a factory worker could have a house a couple of cars and a college education for his kids. A big part of that was a smaller population and strong unions. The american dream was destroyed along with the unions. Now all you have is the crumbs from the masters table. Yep keep pushing against your own self interests.

I'm old I'm now a senior network engineer still deal with bleeding edge technology have always been salaried. I wish the young guys I work with had a union to require some standards, they don't and hiring them is always a crap shoot. Doesn't make any difference to me but if I were hourly I'd kind of like to have someone watch my back.

I have witnessed abuses by unions. In my earlier career I used to work with riggers and iron workers in the NE. They were union and they did know what they were doing. Moved to Georgia and learned what it was like to work with non-union, it was not so good.

So keep plucking the unions are evil chicken.

BTW I have never been a member of a union myself but I have hired and fired a lot of union people.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

I guess Apple could close all of its retail stores and just rely on sales through its
e-commerce Apple.com website.
----------------
That should solve the problem.
No more -unfair wages- through retail stores.
---------------
The unemployed Apple employees could walk down the street to Best Buy and sell iPad 2s from there.

new topics

top topics

join