It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
The two men, one in his 30s and the other in his 40s, were confirmed last week as having exceeding that higher limit and were removed from working at the plant. A third man—a senior control room operator in his 50s—is being tested further after early findings showed high radiation exposure as well
The Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency reprimanded TEPCO for violating the limit and ordered the company to submit the cause and prevention measures in a report within a week.
The younger man was exposed to 678 millisieverts and the other man 643 millisieverts—about 100 CT scans—mostly by inhaling radioactive particles, NISA spokesman Hidehiko Nishiyama said.
TEPCO already has admitted that workers in the earliest, most chaotic, and most dangerous moments of the crisis did not wear masks, possibly other protective gear as well, and lacked dosimeters to monitor their radiation exposures in real time. TEPCO was previously warned for failing to provide a dosimeter for each worker entering controlled areas of the plant.
Nearly 4,000 people worked at the plant during March, when radiation leaks from the reactors were believed to be the highest. With two measuring machines available, about half of that group has been checked so far for their internal radiation levels, which involve exposure from breathing or ingesting radioactive particles. Further examination is pending.
Health concerns are also spreading outside the plant. The government says several areas outside the current evacuation zone are showing higher-than-expected cumulative radiation levels.Recent monitoring also detected strontium, an isotope that accumulate in bones and could increase cancer risks. The government is still considering whether to evacuate residents of tiny “hot spots” outside the 12-mile (20 kilometer) no-go zone.
More than 80,000 people have been forced to leave homes in that area.
Originally posted by -W1LL
[I can understand the need to raise the level of radiation exposure but to knowingly expose these men to this amount of radiation and leave them so ill-equipped is a crime.
Originally posted by krs678
reply to post by TheInterceptor
"2 men are being monitored for being exposed to over half the allowed amount of radiation. before the disaster "this is prior to quake?
The two men with high radiation exposures worked at a central control room for two reactors when the tsunami struck March 11 and the days that followed.
Originally posted by TheInterceptor
A greater crime would be not allowing those people in.
Is any war NOT man-made? It seems like war, or at the very least, a series of battles between man and the disaster, man-made or otherwise. This one had a little help from Nature, but the Chernobyl disaster didn't even have that, it was COMPLETELY man-made
Originally posted by -W1LL
this is FAR from war. this is man made negligence.
What better tech? This is a bold claim for which you have ptovided no evidence. Have you got any?
the people who are trying to save their country deserve to be protected. this is NOT Chernobyl and we have much better tech and timing to get workers in and out of there safely, while still getting the job done.