It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iowa city forces everyone to give them the keys to their commercial property

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
4th amendment? Warrant? What's that? THE CITY RULES OVER YOU, PEONS. (well that's what they think anyway)

And it passed 6 to 1. Those 6 bastards need to be fired... if not worse. Bunch of thugs.

Ordinance #2740( An unfunded city-wide mandate) was passed with a resounding 6 to 1 vote, and it allows for the citizens of Cedar Falls to forcefully give the government keys to their comercial properties through universal 'lock boxes'. The intent of the program is to provide increased safety and protection to personal, private property which include businesses, apartments and some rental houses-- which by the way-- comes at the expense of furthering wayward erosion of fundamental constitutional rights.

Want to tell them how you feel?
All their contact numbers are here.
edit on 13-6-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
so what happens when they(citizens) don't hand over the keys? It seems like none of those folks are about to hand over anything..and good for them..that seems very intrusive..outright wrong.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Sounds like the citizens better elect some new council members.
Hey Frank, Susan, Kamyar, Tom, John and Nick:
You better start looking for new jobs.

Because if I lived in that city, all you bums would be ousted!
And I would so everything in my power to expedite the process.

This is not necessary in the least bit.
Lock boxes on businesses? For safety?
Cost measures?
Pure hogwash!
They just want easier access.
Why would you want an area with your business keys out in the open?
People try to steal ATM machines in broad daylight!
This council doesn't think that people will steal keys to businesses?
Sounds like they need to be replaced.

Fixing a broke down a door from a fire, is the last thing I'd worry about.

There is absolutely no need for this.
Bunch of power hungry idiots.
They should be tar-and-feathered.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Here is an idea. Let the people decide if they want to risk diminished privacy or destroyed doors in case of emergency. There is absolutely no reason to make such thing mandatory.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
hey V
I agree it's a great story
but maybe you didn't see
it already posted a week ago.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
These are called Knox Boxes and are actually very popular across the nation. Look for these near main entrances of commercial buildings in your area.

www.knoxbox.com...

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

What has gotten into politicians at all levels of government??? It's almost as if each and every group of politicians is begging the normal citizens to riot in the streets.

There is no way in hell that they would get my keys if I had a business in Cedar Falls. Tyranny by any other name...

...and government officials wonder why they are violently assaulted by their constituents.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
"It's our job to make sure everyone is safe...."

No, it's our jobs to keep ourselves safe. If we are too stupid to stay safe, then let Darwinism do it's job.

Hypothetical scenarios out of control is what this is, like what police do. If you MIGHT do something, they treat you like you've already done it. Slippery slope is an understatement.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Baby Seal Club

What has gotten into politicians at all levels of government??? It's almost as if each and every group of politicians is begging the normal citizens to riot in the streets.

Of course they want an uprising.
that way they have a reason to fly
over and spray a sleeping intoxicant
and all the protestors wake up in
a FEMA cell ready for re-programming.
End of protest

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Go ahead and give them the keys. Where does it say that the business owner cannot re-key the lock?

If it were me, that is exactly what I would do. If you change the locks it would be noticeable. Re-keying a lock is not. Besides which, I might have missed something, but I didn't see anything about a commercial buildings security system. What good is having a key to the door if you don't have the security code to dis-able the alarm system?

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

I hear you Boon, but politicians have always often lied or ignored the people's wishes. It's just that back in the day they would use subtlety and deception. Nowadays they just walk right out onto the podium and give the crowd the middle finger and think they are right.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I also noticed that this applies to apartment complexes as well. I would quietly modify my lease agreements to where the tenant has the option to change their locks with me, the owner, getting a set for the sake of the tenants' safety.

I know first-hand how irresponsible it is from a safety and liability standpoint to have a lot of people have access to your commercial buildings. The city council members of that town are not thinking of all the ramifications that come from letting more people than necessary have access to commercial structures. Are they going to pay for the difference in my insurance premium that I have to make because more people now have access to my building? I didn't think so.

If I were the people of Cedar Falls I would not worry too much about this. Remember those six come the next election, and give the other one a pay raise. Put new council members in that would repeal that "statute", or whatever it is, and in the meantime don't worry about them checking your locks. Chances are they won't because this sounds more like a power trip than anything else.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
The citizens do have the right to dismiss elected officials. Folks have existed in a complacent state for so long they no longer understand that they can recall officials when those officials don't represent the people. Quite frankly the last statement from the council member who said, "merits of an idea does not depends on the number of people who holds that idea" is evidence that some elected folk have big cahunas and are confident the public will remain complacent. That is prevalent not just on a local basis but in Washington as well. In a nutshell he is confident he can impose whatever unconstitutional action on the people he see fit and they will take it.

The citizens of Cedar Falls would best spend their time getting rid of the present city council members because they are toxic.
edit on 13-6-2011 by Chai_An because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   

That will never happen.

Even if the government opened up all ages rape/concentration/holocaust genocide camps and started rounding people up to be placed in them, Americans would not riot - so long as they are told that the people rounded up are terror suspects and they are reassured by gov't sock puppets, the American people won't do a thing.

The 'better him than me' philosophy is just too strong in this fine land.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

What a bunch of handicapped thinking this is ?These people think their smart too. Lets add a whole new set of
poiosibilities for everyone to have to worry about. Did they evev consider how this helps bogg down the police
during criminal investigations? Idiots.
edit on 13-6-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I guess now that they have a key to the front door and the fact that even a business or apartment paid for with cash can be taken away for not making that property tax payment, it's become quite clear that citizens now have the right to own...nothing.

Many apartments are owned, not rented. And they want the keys to those private dwellings? They didn't mention that scenario but that's the reality of it.

Why buy something when you can't own it?

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
"Merit of an idea does not depend on the number of people that hold that idea."
We, the elected officials of this city will do everything we can, in the best of our abilities to protect the citizens. Doesn't matter how many people are in this room. We have to protect everyone."

This is something that we decided by a higher authority than you or I."

The former sounded like an immigrant, with English as his second language, the latter sounded like a blithering old coot.

It really takes a certain kind of person, out of an entire community, to decide they want to become a "city official" or representative. Not only is it a mediocre almost dead-end job, as you need more skills than most people to advance, but it's just a thankless, almost useless job.

The only service that should be provided, when you are 'elected', is to service the people who elected you, at their request. Most cities do not even need this, as they do not need a group of self-entitled, pompous morons to allow the city itself to accomplish things.

You don't get into office, and go on a petty little power trip and act like you're Gods amongst men ordained to protect the plebes. You are a damn elected City official, you only got elected because no one else wanted to. Get over yourselves.

Just with the above quotes alone, it is clear these people are morons. They mentioned "faith", they talked about "protecting", they basically said a whole lot of nothing, other than, "We're doing it anyway because we're highly important city officials."

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

That will never happen.

Even if the government opened up all ages rape/concentration/holocaust genocide camps and started rounding people up to be placed in them, Americans would not riot - so long as they are told that the people rounded up are terror suspects and they are reassured by gov't sock puppets, the American people won't do a thing.

The 'better him than me' philosophy is just too strong in this fine land.

That and the fact that a new season of American Idol starts next week.

"Sorry I can't make your protest, but Dancing with the Stars is on at that time".

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Hey Jude

I bet you didn't know that on the deed to anything you arn't the owner. You are the tenent. See when it comes
down to brass tax. The only thing being owned is you. Someone owns you and everything you think you own..

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by jude11

Hey Jude

I bet you didn't know that on the deed to anything you arn't the owner. You are the tenent. See when it comes
down to brass tax. The only thing being owned is you. Someone owns you and everything you think you own..

Unfortunately, I do know. Found that out when I bought a business a few years ago. Property and all.

The taxes were 4,000 per year when I purchased. 2 months after I bought it I got a new assessment of 11,000 per year. Tried to fight it...lost. Sold the damn thing.

It was a great business. (Bakery) But 2 things became clear:

1. I was being raped by city hall for a property I OWNED.

2. The business would barely survive with the taxes.

3. If I didn't sell, I would be so angry at tax time that I had dreams of myself sitting at the door with a shotgun to hold my property.

In the end, I lost. Got a profit on the sale tho!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join